I thought I was supposed to be getting SMALLER?!

Options

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that say less on the strength training and more of the cardio... Good Luck!

Nooooo! I went from a size 10 to a size 6 by doing mostly strength training. I only lost 2 pounds during that time.

OP, maybe you are retaining some water in your arms due to your new program. Keep going, you will slim down.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    This happened to me. But I think maybe the arms aren't actually getting bigger...they just look it. Maybe because as the fat disappears the extra skin sags more? Keep going...it resolved itself with me. Arms look smaller now. I think they're going to take the most work with me though. good luck!

This is probably what OP is experiencing. There is no way her arms have bulked up that much after 3-4 days of weights. I know my arms looked bigger when my shoulders and collarbones started getting more defined after losing the padding over them, but a measuring tape showed my arms were exactly the same size. My shirts felt a little tighter, though, because they were loose in the shoulders. It created the illusion the arms were tighter, whereas they were just as tight as they'd always been.

It could be water retention as well.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights 1-2 days a week while on a deficit WILL NOT MAKE YOU GAIN MUSCLE.
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You will not bulk up lifting weights after lifting for only two weeks. If anything your muscles are swollen from the exercise.

You need to peruse the forums and look at all the wonderful threads about how lifting does NOT bulk you up. You've also lost 6 lbs in two weeks! That's awesome! Don't sabotage yourself now by questioning your routine when it's clearly working for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/602973-wieghts-were-do-i-start

This is one of my many idols on this website. Does she look bulky to you? NOPE! Healthy AND Fit!
  • Santerre1984
    Santerre1984 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Muscles weighs more than fat...and when you build muscle you start to speed up your metabolism.
    Keep it up I'm sure it will turn around.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I am afraid of bulking up muscles, so I am focusing on cardio over weights for the time being. Strength training is a huge part of it, but I want to lose some of the fat before I begin toning. I would ease up on the weights and keep up the good cario! Sounds like you're doing awesome!

You will not 'bulk up muscles' on a deficit.

or even bulk up muscles when NOT on a deficit.........
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Do NOT give up strength training. I used to be doing cardio only, and now i've switched to 3 days a week of strength training and hitting Zumba 2-3 times a week. I do Zumba mostly because it's fun, and cardio is important as far as heart health goes. Lift things up, and put them down. Lift, and lift heavy. None of this low weight, high rep crap. Get into stronglifts (which is what i do) or New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are building muscle.. maybe slow down on arm exercises for a few days? or lighter weights?
    Yeah, do more cardio rather than weights x

No.

Look at all the ladies in here - if it worked the way you think it does, they would all look like the hulk!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/884447-do-you-lift-heavy-are-you-bulky
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    If you build muscle that quickly... I'm so jealous.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I noticed a similar thing, that my arms appeared to be getting (slightly) bigger, because the arms on a blouse were tighter. But I think it is mostly because the muscly parts are more defined and do not want to be constrained as much as the flab which was previously there - you can push flab around a lot more than muscle. :)
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Unless she's taking steroids or has abnormally high test levels, I doubt the "muscle" gain in her arms is actual muscle gain

Agreed!
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing good! Your body loses fat at different places at different times, some people lose the fat in the butt last, or thei belly, or their thighs, arms etc.
    Keep going, it'll all come off eventually :D
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Muscles weighs more than fat...and when you build muscle you start to speed up your metabolism.
    Keep it up I'm sure it will turn around.

No.. Muscle and fat "weigh" the same... a pound is a pound is a pound....
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    You are not gaining significant muscle if you are eating at a deficit. Women don't have enough testosterone to build much more than .5-1 lb of muscle a month.

Are you taking steroids? Nope, didn't think so. Then your arms are NOT gaining so much muscle that they are hulking your shirt sleeves. Idk the answer, but that is not it.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Do people really think she is gaining muscle on a deficit, after a couple of strength training sessions? Wow, if it's that easy I am really doing something wrong.

^^^^
    This. Please listen to what she is saying!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I doubt that the 1-2 days of your lifting is making your arms bigger. You say you are losing abdominal fat? So maybe because we can't pick and choose where we want to lose you are just losing it in your midsection first and it just makes you look a little disportionate. But things will balance out.

But I just can't believe your 1-2 days of lifting is bulking you up.

I am a hardcore lifter and it's taken YEARS to get to where I am at. YEARS. And I still don't have my arms and shoulders anywhere near where I want them...and I lift ALOT and I lift HEAVY. I wish I could have a problem of getting muscle at the drop of a hat! We put on GRAMS of muscle in a month(IF THAT!) not pounds of it.

You'll even out but defiantely DO NOT give up strength training. HEck, I'd actually drop a cardio day and add another strength training day.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I think you should keep up what you are doing. You are obviously losing fat and building muscle. Just keep it up and soon you will see your arm fat disappearing and those defined muscles showing.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I doubt that the 1-2 days of your lifting is making your arms bigger. You say you are losing abdominal fat? So maybe because we can't pick and choose where we want to lose you are just losing it in your midsection first and it just makes you look a little disportionate. But things will balance out.

But I just can't believe your 1-2 days of lifting is bulking you up.

I am a hardcore lifter and it's taken YEARS to get to where I am at. YEARS. And I still don't have my arms and shoulders anywhere near where I want them...and I lift ALOT and I lift HEAVY. I wish I could have a problem of getting muscle at the drop of a hat! We put on GRAMS of muscle in a month(IF THAT!) not pounds of it.

You'll even out but defiantely DO NOT give up strength training. HEck, I'd actually drop a cardio day and add another strength training day.

I was thinking the same thing. 1-2 days a week is not going to bulk you up.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If you build muscle that quickly... I'm so jealous.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    If you read it corectly, most of the bashing is aimed at the people telling you that you have gained muscle, and the people telling you to stop strength training.

It is aimed at the bad advice you were getting, not at YOU..