Insanity

Options
2»

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Only do this if you are running. Running shoes are meant for running, not Insanity, P90X, or any other program like them. A lot of people do Insanity barefoot.

While this is true I did buy a pair of very light weight running shoes to do Insanity and I have not had any problems with using them and I am starting my last week today.

To the OP: Your knee issue could be your shoes but it also could be the way you're landing when you do your jumps. Are you keeping your knees "soft" meaning: are you landing bent-kneed so that you're not jarring your joints? When doing your switch kicks or any kicks for that matter are you lifting your knee then extending the leg or just throwing the leg out there? Is your squat form proper meaning: knees behind the toes, butt back? Also are you doing the workout on a carpet because IMO this could cause knee issues from the friction.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Aerobic shoes would be best but getting fitted would be even more proper right? i cant do insanity barefooted i may need a better mat considering im doing it on a concreate floor with a weather rug on it so the landing isnt exactly the best either.

They will fit you for running, not aerobic activity like plyometrics. I did Insanity in running shoes and my feet hurt so bad I had to take them off. You need cross trainers.
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Would u recommend Insanity for beginners? Someone who NEVER works out and is 250+lbs?
  • mgarcia843
    Options
    Would u recommend Insanity for beginners? Someone who NEVER works out and is 250+lbs?

No. It is VERY intense which can be misleading considering it's an at home workout routine. Your best bet would be to start with some light cardio and get used to working out a few times a week. Either walking, cycling, maybe light jogging.

If you started this as your first workout you'd get through about 10 minutes and give up.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options

Everyone has different capabilities, but I will say Insanity lives up to its title. It's no joke. You don't have to keep up with the people in the dvd; even they are gasping and taking breaks. I would probably say to start with something a little less "insane," like the 30 day shred or something similar.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Beachbody has a beginner program for slim in 6 (weeks)
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I should probably check into shoes.. i have a pair of running shoes... not aerobic shoes but havent been using my r unning shoes i've been using my shoes with an uneven bottom its circled off and the edges dont have much support which makes sense to me

I would get new shoes. I had an issue with my ankle and I just bought these ones here:
    http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=13078745

It really made a huge difference doing Insanity.
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how a running shoe that has the full impact of your feet hitting the hard pavement would be much different than an aerobic shoe? I mean Danskins is better than a $130 running shoe...I doubt this. I have Brooks DYDA7's with a special heel gel insert for heel impact resistance. If you could do it barefooted I would think the running shoe would be better. Unless you mean that you need to buy shoes per se. Then disregard I'll go back to my regulary scheduled program. KILL FATTY!
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations on a jump mat? I'm getting ready to start insanity in the next week and I'm thinking a jump mat sounds great since I was planning on doing this in my garage with a concrete floor? Any suggestions recommendations?
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    I need a good jump mat & shoe recommendation if anyone has any links i'm about a size 8.5 women shoes.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options
    I'm not sure how a running shoe that has the full impact of your feet hitting the hard pavement would be much different than an aerobic shoe? I mean Danskins is better than a $130 running shoe...I doubt this. I have Brooks DYDA7's with a special heel gel insert for heel impact resistance. If you could do it barefooted I would think the running shoe would be better. Unless you mean that you need to buy shoes per se. Then disregard I'll go back to my regulary scheduled program. KILL FATTY!

It's recommended to use a shoe that has a wider, stiffer base than a running shoe. Barefoot is personal preference. All I can say is that I did insanity in running shoes and it hurt. To each their own. I bought Vibram Five Fingers to run in and I don't run in them hahaha. I lift in them and get weird stares :drinker:

KILL FATTY! That's awesome :)
  • ashleey1000
    Options

No. It is VERY intense which can be misleading considering it's an at home workout routine. Your best bet would be to start with some light cardio and get used to working out a few times a week. Either walking, cycling, maybe light jogging.

If you started this as your first workout you'd get through about 10 minutes and give up.

THANK U!
  • ashleey1000
    Options

Everyone has different capabilities, but I will say Insanity lives up to its title. It's no joke. You don't have to keep up with the people in the dvd; even they are gasping and taking breaks. I would probably say to start with something a little less "insane," like the 30 day shred or something similar.
    THANK U!
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    I do already own nike running shoes but i might have to give aerobic shoes a try.. i'm so unsure
  • ElizMurphy69
    ElizMurphy69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Absolutely!!! Just keep moving! Every single move can be modified! I couldn't do one push up when I started and now I can do 8!!! Just do what you can and you will see results (and you will be able to do it in no time!!!) If you aren't ready for this intense of a work out though, there is nothing wrong with starting with a slower routine and building up with INSANITY as a goal :-)
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Re: jump mat - I use 66fit interlocking mat which has been an absolute shin-saver. A year ago I was getting lots of shin splint issues so kept having to take time off, and I was very worried about doing Insanity knowing this. However, I can honestly say that I haven't had a single twinge of pain since using the mat. On the rare occasions I've gone off-mat and done a jump or two on my carpet I've definitely felt the difference.

The other thing is the shoes, OP I'm not surprised you are having problems with Easytone, lol. I had a pair of those that I used to walk in everywhere but I started to get crippling pain throughout my legs and it was only when a friend told me they'd also had the same kind of pain with the shoes that I realised they were pretty awful - and that was just through walking!!! The shoes I'm currently using (and LOVE!) are Asics Gel Ayami cross-training shoe. They have a lot of support, but are very light - so much so that I didn't think they'd be able to stand up to the rigours of Insanity. However I started using them when I started month 2 and they've been amazing. So the combo of the jump mat and those cross-training shoes has really helped me get through Insanity (I only have two weeks to go) unscathed.