help with leg cramping/leg pain

Options
Hi! When working out I've noted that my legs begin to cramp and hurt more than they normally do....I drink plenty of fluids so I'm pretty sure I'm hydrated.

It's getting very bothersome, so I wasn't sure if anyone had any similar experiences. Basically it's like when your legs fall asleep and the blood rushes back in -- kinda like that pressure/pain, but no pinpricks.

TIA

Replies

• reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Bananas and grapefruit have a lot of potassium in them, sounds like you are low on potassium.
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    cramping can be an electrolyte issue. Trying eating a banana.
  • lrberchielli
    Options
    Definitely track your potassium. Orange juice is a good one to add too. I have trouble getting enough potassium but have not had any cramping issues. Make sure you are stretching before and after your workout too.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Rehydration drinks are supposedly designed for this sort of problem. I bought a tub of Endura Magnesium Re-hydration Formula when I was training for an ultra-marathon. I actually find it lowers my energy if I drink it during training, but if I drink it before training it reduces fatigue, and it can speed recovery if I drink it after.
  • asm2260
    asm2260 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Rehydration drinks are supposedly designed for this sort of problem. I bought a tub of Endura Magnesium Re-hydration Formula when I was training for an ultra-marathon. I actually find it lowers my energy if I drink it during training, but if I drink it before training it reduces fatigue, and it can speed recovery if I drink it after.

I had a real bad cramping problem..a couple years back while riding long distances.....It was recommended to supplment potassium and magnesium.....there was this drink I bought reminded me of tang....bought it at a vitimin store....It worked along with lotsa water...
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Bananas and grapefruit have a lot of potassium in them, sounds like you are low on potassium.

I agree. Please be careful that happened to me in the beginning. God Bless, Brenda
  • peck113
    peck113 Posts: 19
    Options
    Try drinking a sports drink such as gatorade every couple of days or if needed every day. Just try to look for a drink that is lower in sugar if your goal is to lose weight. Kiwi is also another great fruit that is high in potassium and loaded with all types of other vitamins.

Good Luck
    From Your next door personal trainer
    Faith
  • mara16bryan
    Options
    I have successfully addressed leg pain by using a foam roller. Wal-Mart sells them for about $15. If you Google foam roller exercises there will be plenty of good examples to show you how to use it to alleviate your pains. Hope this helps!
  • specialsong77
    specialsong77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi! When working out I've noted that my legs begin to cramp and hurt more than they normally do....I drink plenty of fluids so I'm pretty sure I'm hydrated.

It's getting very bothersome, so I wasn't sure if anyone had any similar experiences. Basically it's like when your legs fall asleep and the blood rushes back in -- kinda like that pressure/pain, but no pinpricks.

TIA

Loads of great suggestions here... my friend turned me on to these homeopathic over the counter pills just called Leg Cramps with Quinine that helped me a lot. I take them when I get really back lower back or leg cramps and they work really well for me.
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions....I like bananas, so maybe I'll try eating more of those. I'm trying to avoid more pills because, frankly, I don't know that my stomach can take more pills! (15 different medications, plus multivitamins)

I was just worried about this being a sign I was having kidney issues, since I have lupus....glad it seems like something relatively minor.

I'll also get some Gatorade -- I'm already getting extra calorie credits from working out, so it shouldn't be an issue. Plus if I can get this under control, then maybe I can also work out longer, so double payoff.

Thanks again everyone :flowerforyou:
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    ... my friend turned me on to these homeopathic over the counter pills just called Leg Cramps with Quinine that helped me a lot.

Sorry, but homeopathic medication is just water. Nothing else. If you pay more than a few cents for it you're getting ripped off.