Raw Milk, is it ok to drink?

Options

Replies

• icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    YES YES, thousand times YES!

Get it from accredited source and you'll be good to go!

Benefits are amazing, this is me singing praises to raw milk :-)

http://icmuse.tumblr.com/search/raw+milk
  • Ahambley
    Options
    Milk is pasteurized for a reason. Raw milk may contain various harmful bacteria and has been linked to numerous outbreaks and illness. It should also be noted that the pasteurization process does not impact the nutritional value of milk. Find more information at the Centers for Disease Control's website: http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/rawmilk/raw-milk-questions-and-answers.html#related-outbreaks

For those saying--go ahead and try it, what's the harm. They should look at some of the statistics, including some of the deaths (usually children) caused by bacteria found in unpasteurized milk. Per the CDC:

"Among dairy product-associated outbreaks reported to CDC between 1973 and 2009 in which the investigators reported whether the product was pasteurized or raw, 82% were due to raw milk or cheese. From 1998 through 2009, 93 outbreaks due to consumption of raw milk or raw milk products were reported to CDC. These resulted in 1,837 illnesses, 195 hospitalizations, and 2 deaths. Most of these illnesses were caused by Escherichia coli O157, Campylobacter, or Salmonella. It is important to note that a substantial proportion of the raw milk-associated disease burden falls on children; among the 93 raw dairy product outbreaks from 1998 to 2009, 79% involved at least one person less than 20 years old.

Reported outbreaks represent the tip of the iceberg. For every outbreak and every illness reported, many others occur, and most illnesses are not part of recognized outbreaks.

Are there more outbreaks related to raw milk in states where it is legal to sell?
    Yes. States that allow the legal sale of raw milk for human consumption have more raw milk-related outbreaks of illness than states that do not allow raw milk to be sold legally.

For more information about outbreaks related to raw milk, see the main findings of "Nonpasteurized Dairy Products, Disease Outbreaks, and State Laws—United States, 1993-2006."
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Some people told me it's [raw milk] very good and others said its gross and unhealthy.

Since I have no time to conduct my own scientific experiments, I went with what the United States Food and Drug Administration says:

"Milk and milk products provide a wealth of nutrition benefits. But raw milk can harbor dangerous microorganisms that can pose serious health risks to you and your family. According to an analysis by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), between 1993 and 2006 more than 1500 people in the United States became sick from drinking raw milk or eating cheese made from raw milk. In addition, CDC reported that unpasteurized milk is 150 times more likely to cause foodborne illness and results in 13 times more hospitalizations than illnesses involving pasteurized dairy products.

Raw milk is milk from cows, sheep, or goats that has not been pasteurized to kill harmful bacteria. This raw, unpasteurized milk can carry dangerous bacteria such as Salmonella, E. coli, and Listeria, which are responsible for causing numerous foodborne illnesses.

These harmful bacteria can seriously affect the health of anyone who drinks raw milk, or eats foods made from raw milk. However, the bacteria in raw milk can be especially dangerous to people with weakened immune systems, older adults, pregnant women, and children. In fact, the CDC analysis found that foodborne illness from raw milk especially affected children and teenagers.

"Pasteurized Milk" Explained
    Pasteurization is a process that kills harmful bacteria by heating milk to a specific temperature for a set period of time. First developed by Louis Pasteur in 1864, pasteurization kills harmful organisms responsible for such diseases as listeriosis, typhoid fever, tuberculosis, diphtheria, and brucellosis.

Research shows no meaningful difference in the nutritional values of pasteurized and unpasteurized milk. Pasteurized milk contains low levels of the type of nonpathogenic bacteria that can cause food spoilage, so storing your pasteurized milk in the refrigerator is still important.

Raw Milk & Pasteurization: Debunking Milk Myths
    While pasteurization has helped provide safe, nutrient-rich milk and cheese for over 120 years, some people continue to believe that pasteurization harms milk and that raw milk is a safe healthier alternative.

Here are some common myths and proven facts about milk and pasteurization:

- Pasteurizing milk DOES NOT cause lactose intolerance and allergic reactions. Both raw milk and pasteurized milk can cause allergic reactions in people sensitive to milk proteins.
    -Raw milk DOES NOT kill dangerous pathogens by itself.
    -Pasteurization DOES NOT reduce milk's nutritional value.
    -Pasteurization DOES NOT mean that it is safe to leave milk out of the refrigerator for extended time, particularly after it has been opened.
    -Pasteurization DOES kill harmful bacteria.
    -Pasteurization DOES save lives.

Source: http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/consumers/ucm079516.htm
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It IS illegal to sell raw milk in the US by my understanding--we have a vibrant dairy industry lobbying continually that keeps it so, and a public that thinks if we have enough laws we'll never have to think for ourselves again. But it is NOT illegal to drink it! Goat milk can be safer--the two illnesses that are really what might cause your milk to be dangerous, Brucellosis and I've forgotten the name of the other one, are very rare in goats. But in either animal they can be tested for, and if your animals are clean, well, then there you go. Other than that, you just have food handling issues. All milk is strained--so NO there is not "hay" or hair or whatever in raw milk after it's strained. There may be some before straining esp if it was milked by hand--but it is strained right away. (I would imagine that this would be a bigger problem in a large mechanized dairy.) You DO want to know your farmer. You want that milk chilled quickly and handled right. But most folks that go through what you have to go through to milk do it pretty well right--it's a big job, why bother if not for a quality end result?

If you get raw goat milk it will also be 'whole', unless they have a separater. Cow milk can be 'skimmed' and doesn't have to be separated. I have dairy goats and personally drink their milk. And have gotten raw cow milk from a friend. But I do cook it or pasteurize it for others unless they are cool with it raw. Yeah, it's good. And most people prefer it raw. Many health benefits to raw milk, as long as it's done right.

It is not illegal in Massachusetts. I get my raw milk from a farm that has license to sell it.
    Every state in the US is different though.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    #1 Milk is not alive.

#2. How is pasteurizing (heating) milk any different from cooking raw meat or eggs, or anything else for that matter. Heating denatures proteins, yes. But this occurs in any food we cook. I don't buy this whole "living" food crap. I don't even know what that means.

I think the risk of anything happening is low (as long as you pick a reputable dairy). But understand there is a risk. If there wasn't a risk we wouldn't be pasteurizing!
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Raw milk is great - But you need to make sure the farm where you get it from is very clean and sanitary. It is not illegal in some states to buy raw milk but is it some - though its not illegal to purchase a share of the cow from the farmer and thus you are able to partake in a portion of the cows milk since you own part of the cow. At least in Ohio this is how they get around the buying of raw milk. and if your worried about the fat content - I have a friend who when she gets her milk she splits it in half and then waters it down says it is about 2% consistency then
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    It's not illegal in New York State, either. I live in an area with a lot of dairy farms. Some of them sell raw milk to the public. If you buy it, you have to sign a log book with the date and quantity of milk that you bought. Signing it acknowledges that you're aware you're buying unpasteurized milk and the risks involved, plus they have your contact info in case there's any kind of issue with it. I've bought it a few times, but I don't really notice a difference in taste. Plus the farms are farther away than the grocery stores, where they sell locally produced pasteurized milk.

My mom was also a big health nut when I was a kid. She often bought raw milk from local dairy farms when I was little. And we had our own goats, from which I drank raw goats milk, probably from age one and on, until I grew to dislike the taste.
  • lisarfrank
    Options
    I keep seeing that there is a lot of concern with the bacteria and not being pasteurized. I really do not know much as far as facts go, but when we got the goat's milk from a goat farmer, we would go home boil it and put it in the fridge and not one person in our household got sick. We all grew up drinking it.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Well human breast milk is raw milk, and that does wonders for growing babies. Worth a try! I however cannot be bothered :)

We are supposed to drink human breast milk.....
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    my mind's made up don't confuse me with facts
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    I grew up on a dairy farm and every day my dad would bring in a gallon container of milk from the milk tank....I probably drank raw milk until I was at least 16 or so......now, as a dairy farmer's daughter (who has done her fair share of milking cows)...I will tell you that what happens in the barn while milking, stays in the barn while milking.....and because of this, drinking milk that has been through the pasteurization process would probably be better for you.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Two family members of mine own milk farms, and we drank the milk all the time. My great aunts are in their early 90's and have been drinking raw milk since they were born. I think its fine
  • annebuta
    annebuta Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In my option, it is not worth the risk. E-coli from cow poop gets in the milk (yes, even in a "clean" dairy - it is virtually impossible to stop that tiny one amount that might cause illness). The e-coli can cause severe illnesses (like hemolytic uremic syndrome - look it up) and even death. I've seen it happen - I'm an RN. I get the whole back to nature mentality, but if you ended up on permanent dialysis, or dead, I don't think you'd think it was worth it for that glass of milk.

Sorry to be so harsh - I'm just speaking from what I've seen happen in the hospital.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    In my option, it is not worth the risk. E-coli from cow poop gets in the milk (yes, even in a "clean" dairy - it is virtually impossible to stop that tiny one amount that might cause illness). The e-coli can cause severe illnesses (like hemolytic uremic syndrome - look it up) and even death. I've seen it happen - I'm an RN. I get the whole back to nature mentality, but if you ended up on permanent dialysis, or dead, I don't think you'd think it was worth it for that glass of milk.

Sorry to be so harsh - I'm just speaking from what I've seen happen in the hospital.

That's true, but there's also a chance that your treadmill belt could seize or break, launching you right into a horrific injury. There's also a chance that you could have been one of the people who got salmonella poisoning during one of the spinach episodes. There's also a chance that some of us may not make it home today due to the carelessness of someone else (or even our own).

Everything in life comes with 'this could happen' elements involved. Is that a good reason to not do things? Nah.
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    #1 Milk is not alive.

#2. How is pasteurizing (heating) milk any different from cooking raw meat or eggs, or anything else for that matter. Heating denatures proteins, yes. But this occurs in any food we cook. I don't buy this whole "living" food crap. I don't even know what that means.

I think the risk of anything happening is low (as long as you pick a reputable dairy). But understand there is a risk. If there wasn't a risk we wouldn't be pasteurizing!

You don't know what it means because it appears you haven't bothered to look it up.

Like breast milk is alive because of it's immune bodies, so is cows milk (and any milk). Killing that off? You might as well drink formula.

Honestly, the ignorance and sheer lack of free thinking here is astounding.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    #1 Milk is not alive.

You don't know what it means because it appears you haven't bothered to look it up.

Like breast milk is alive because of it's immune bodies, so is cows milk (and any milk). Killing that off? You might as well drink formula.

That's because it's easier to just assume that government agencies wouldn't lie to people for kickbacks.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    It is sad that so many people have been indoctrinated against raw milk.

As I said in a previous post in this thread, I grew up drinking raw milk, from our own animals. Never, NEVER a problem.
    http://organicpastures.com/
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    #1 Milk is not alive.

OMG, that is so funny coming from you. I am a microbiologist,and I've never heard of an immune body. We do get immunity from breast milk, but that is not an issue with cow's milk. And you didn't address my question of how it ;is different from cooking meat. I assume you don't eat raw ground beef. I'll take my ignorant self off now. Thanks for the laugh.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Don't do it, everybody that drank raw milk before Louis Pasture learned how to make it safe,,,,,,, died.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^LOL freerange!!!:)