Comparisons are Dragging Me Down

Options
I've made some small tweaks to my habit and finally the scale is moving. I'm down almost 8lbs this year and most of the time I feel pretty good about that. I'm working out safely, I'm building strength, I'm eating new things and forming new habits. All good.

But sometimes I get discouraged when I see people on these forums who post a 14lb loss in a month, or who post some other fantastic success story.

I don't begrudge anyone their success - but it's hard to continue feeling good about my small successes when I feel so blown away by others.

Sure, there are some more tweaks I could make to amp up my loss rate, but I'm already working pretty hard at it and don't want to take on too much too soon.

Just posting this in case anyone else feels the same, or in case anyone has some encouragement.

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    People are different. Keep doing what you are doing. Congrats on the accomplishments you have already made.
  • Ailorn
    Ailorn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Try to stay focused on your own loss. People lose at different rates. They may have started off higher than you so may be losing faster. The point is that you're changing YOUR life and for the better. As long as you're making the change and seeing some results ultimately who cares how long it takes? The point is to get there and stay there. If you try to push it beyond what you can sustain then you may just yo-yo. If its hard to keep motivated and read other people's sucess then maybe steer clear of those posts for a while. Go with what works and trust that you're going to get there.
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I know you're right, and that's what I've been telling myself, but it helps to hear it from others too.

Appreciate it!
  • CAlley1985
    CAlley1985 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Please keep this in mind as well...Those that lose a ton in a month....dont usually do it happily .....stay slow, stay safe...and most of all keep your sanity doing it...Good Luck
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You can't compare your journey with someone else's. Every body loses at different rates, and have different things going on - stress levels, hormones, etc. etc. Someone I met on MFP recently posted that they lost 70 pounds in about 5 months. I lost 70 pounds over 12 months (calendar year 2012). Would I have liked to have done that? Of course, but that's not what happened, and I'm not going to let that interfere with my course of action. I'm happy for that person for staying on track, and that's a great success for her! I'm also happy for me for where I am. Even though it took me a year to do it, it's still something that not a lot of others (outside of MFP-world) can say they've done, and I'm not doing this for her. I'm on this journey for me. Encourage people where they are, and keep your head up high for what you've accomplished too!

Focus on what you're doing, have confidence in the fact you're taking steps in the right direction, and that the weight and other NSV stories will come.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I'm a slow loser, too (let's hope only in a weight-loss context, hah). I try to keep in mind the quote "comparison is the thief of joy," which is certainly true for me! I can feel good about myself and how my body is changing, if I only focus on me and don't try to draw comparisons between myself and others here on MFP or in real life. All I can do is remember that what I am doing IS working for me, even if it's taking me years instead of the months I see other people getting results in. And I did spend a lot of time in the beginning of my journey learning what it is that does work. I feel like I'm on a better track now.

The only comparison that might make you feel more, rather than less, joy is to contrast yourself now to yourself before you began this effort. Any other comparison is apples to oranges and will just bring you down. And feel free to add me if you want a friend who is inching along. :flowerforyou:
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    I hear you! It's hard not to compare sometimes. Chin up, you're doing great, though.
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You guys are great. And I love the quote "comparison is the thief of joy" - so true in my case here!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    People are different. Keep doing what you are doing. Congrats on the accomplishments you have already made.

It reall is ^^^This simple.

Props gurl!