Goal and Camping

SammyLynn010
SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
So, it seems that just when I am about to reach my whole a big event comes up and throws me completely off track. A few weeks ago it was my birthday and graduation... this weekend the college/career age group at my church is taking a camping trip. I don't really have a lot of choice in what we are taking to eat so I must eat what is there... I don't know how I am going to keep from letting this weekend kill all the progress I have made. This morning the scale said I just about reached my goal, and I don't want to lose that progress again, it is sooo discouraging. Any ideas on what I can do?? Thanks everyone!

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,447 Member
    well if your camping you'll be out doors. Keep yourself moving!! If you have an hrm wear it. Do as many activities as your body allows. Also you could always bring some apples, granola bars, nuts.. etc. Good luck, and have fun!
  • beutiful5678
    beutiful5678 Posts: 58 Member
    While you may not be able to dictate what you eat, you can control how much you eat. Try to load up on the healthy stuff and eat the other stuff sparingly.

Do you know what the planned meals are? Typically with big groups meals are planned well in advance so if you can figure out what the food is going to be look up the nutritional content of the food (doesn't have to be exact - even if you have the wrong brand it will still work for estimating) and plan how much you will eat of each dish.

Good luck and congratulations on your progress!
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Be the fit & healthy person in the group. Organise a few people to go for a jog in the morning before everyone else gets up :)
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Help with the cooking as much as possible (and menu making if possible!). That way you will now what has gone into it, and you'll be better able to judge how much of it you can eat. When we go camping (which is fairly frequent), we always burn a LOT of calories. Walking to the bathroom, walking to get water, just walking for something to do, all of that adds up. It doesn't add up to free reign on the food, but it does add up to a little leeway. Keep track of what you eat (I use the note pad function on my phone), and enter it when you return. That way you will at least have an idea of how you did.
  • tamaramtz
    tamaramtz Posts: 13
    Is there any way you can bring your own food? I've taken a big cooler of my own food to camp with me just in case the healthy food pickings were slim. If you are a meat eater you can take lean deli meats, cheese, boiled eggs, and yogurt. You can also take raw veggies cut up and ready to grab and eat, freeze-dried fruits, nuts and seeds, granola or nutrition bars, prepared salads and pre-measured containers of dressing, etc. Whatever you don't mind eating cold in case you don't have access to at least a microwave or other means of heating food. You can also take you food scale and measuring cups and spoons along, if you aren't the kind to be shy about it. So what if you get a few weird looks? They're probably secretly admiring you. My parents have been watching what they eat for 16 years now and take a mini fridge, microwave, food scale, and measuring utensils with them whenever or wherever they travel. They've kept the weight off, so I'd say it works for them. :)
  • SammyLynn010
    I thought about taking some of my own food but I didn't want to seem like a downer on everyone else. Some of the people going tend to give me a hard time about losing weight because none of them think that I need to... And I am sure that I will get "you are on vacation live a little" ... Well living just one day off my healthy foods can cause me to gain 2 or 3 pounds, and it is MUCH easier to put it on then take it off... I just don't want to be there again! I wish I had a HRM, maybe I'll go slurge and buy one finally so at least I'll know the calories I burned.

I'll get in touch with the lady that is planning the meals and make sure of the calorie content so I know what I am facing!

Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement. I need to remember it's not about what they think, it's about what makes me healthy!
  • khenthorn
    khenthorn Posts: 1
    I also have an upcoming camping trip.. I plan on keeping myself moving, even if it's just a short walk.... I am taking some of the 100 calorie pack snack foods with me and plan on watching my portions while I am camping.... My advice is just keep moving, you will be less likely to put the weight on if you keep walking it off.. Hope you trip goes well!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    What activities are going to be doing while camping? When we go camping I'm usually very active. And just normal functions that you do at home burn a lot more calories while camping. You'll be fine. I have NEVER gained wieght after camping....even with Lisa's Aunt's Cooking.
  • SammyLynn010
    I am honestly not sure what we are going to do while we are there. I know we are playing on being on the boat pretty much all day Saturday, but other than that I haven't a clue! ... I think it might rain all weekend too, which won't be very fun, unless we play in it! haha
This discussion has been closed.