30 day shred - shin pain?

Options
I don't know if this is shin splints or something?
I've been doing the 30 day shred (only 3 days) and everytime I do it my shins hurt soooo bad! Makes it near impossible to do the workouts (especially the jumping jacks and jump rope) and even now if I touch my shins they are sore. Is this shin splints? What can I do to help this so that I can continue the 30 day shred? Do I need to just push through it?

Replies

• LizardQueen4PointOh
    Options
    I don't know if this is shin splints or something?
    I've been doing the 30 day shred (only 3 days) and everytime I do it my shins hurt soooo bad! Makes it near impossible to do the workouts (especially the jumping jacks and jump rope) and even now if I touch my shins they are sore. Is this shin splints? What can I do to help this so that I can continue the 30 day shred? Do I need to just push through it?

I had the same problem, and while I can't recommend what you should do in your case, I can tell you what I did. I added extra stretches at the end of the cool down that helped with that and my calves. I stopped in the past because of it, but this last time I pushed through and it got better. By the end, I only had slight pain during the workout and it went away afterward. They say rest, massaging, and icing your shins can help. Also, are you wearing shoes? That can make a difference as well.
  • svalenzeno
    svalenzeno Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just started it too (on day 3 today) and the same thing has been happening with my calf muscles. I had to take two days off between the 1st and 2nd day because my calf muscles were so sore! So, I definitely lightened up on the jumping jacks and jump rope a little bit because of it and it was a little better yesterday. We'll see what happens today. I'm really going to make sure I'm warmed up and stretched before I start and stretch after I'm done to see if that makes a difference. Hope it gets better for you!
  • tazhinshaw
    tazhinshaw Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Usually I wear my tennis shoes but sometimes I do it barefoot. Thanks! I will try extra stretches and icing. What stretches do you suggest?
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    If you are a little sore, you can work though it. If you are in pain you need to take a day or two to rest. Shin splints can take a couple days to recover. Make sure you are tossing in some extra stretching AFTER warm up and at cool down.

Keep in mind that Jillian intended 30DS to be done only 4 days per week.

1 30DS
    2 30DS
    3 light cardio
    4 30DS
    5 30DS
    6 light cardio
    7 rest
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Usually I wear my tennis shoes but sometimes I do it barefoot. Thanks! I will try extra stretches and icing. What stretches do you suggest?

DEFINITELY wear proper shoes! If you're doing it barefoot I'm not at all surprised your getting hurt.
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    Options
    Here's a link to some stretches for the shin that I have used:

http://www.self.com/blogs/flash/2011/05/4-shin-splint-solutions-and-st.html

I mainly use this calf stretch now:

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Gastrocnemius/FloorBoard.html
  • tazhinshaw
    Options
    DEFINITELY wear proper shoes! If you're doing it barefoot I'm not at all surprised your getting hurt.

Aaah now I feel like a moron. Lol.
  • tazhinshaw
    Options
    Here's a link to some stretches for the shin that I have used:

http://www.self.com/blogs/flash/2011/05/4-shin-splint-solutions-and-st.html

I mainly use this calf stretch now:

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Gastrocnemius/FloorBoard.html

Thank you!
  • tiffneydanielle
    Options
    I also was having problems with shin splints. I found some in soles that helped support my arch more and the pain stopped the next day. I would highly suggest trying this if you do not see any relief. Also places like walmart have a machine you can stand on that determines what type of in sole would best fit your foot.
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Don't feel like a moron, I wear tennis shoes every time and I still get them. I'm fine during the day and right after I do the video, its just during that my shins feel like they are going to break. I push through it and keep telling myself "its only 30 seconds." I've always had bad shin pains, that's why I refuse to run. I would definitely say to do some more stretching, that should help.
  • tazhinshaw
    Options
    I also was having problems with shin splints. I found some in soles that helped support my arch more and the pain stopped the next day. I would highly suggest trying this if you do not see any relief. Also places like walmart have a machine you can stand on that determines what type of in sole would best fit your foot.

Ooh my walmart does not have this but there's a walmart 30 minutes away that does. Next time I go that way I will try that out :)
  • tazhinshaw
    Options
    Don't feel like a moron, I wear tennis shoes every time and I still get them. I'm fine during the day and right after I do the video, its just during that my shins feel like they are going to break. I push through it and keep telling myself "its only 30 seconds." I've always had bad shin pains, that's why I refuse to run. I would definitely say to do some more stretching, that should help.

Yess thats how mine feel! I end up stopping because i didn't know if it was good to keep going
  • haramis
    Options
    Actually if you google 30 day shred shin splints, you'll find out that a lot of people have this issue. I was doing a different video with a lot of high impact work (like power jacks) and not having any issues with shin splints at all, which I am prone to. I added in 30DS because I was looking for some variety, but the first time I did it I could feel my shins going as soon as I started the butt kicks.

I think the difference is that in the other video they have you move through a series of four different exercises for each interval instead of doing the same one for 2 minutes at a time, so that I wasn't having an issue with the repeat impact on them.

An older post on this board had several good suggestions that I'm going to try out. One person suggested warming up your legs a little more before starting the video, and someone else suggested just temporarily lowering the impact on the butt kicks by keeping one foot on the floor. There were lots of suggestions for better shoes or barefoot, so I would take that part with a grain of salt. If you're prone to shin splints, you're prone to shin splints. That's why I do my basic cardio on an elliptical.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints too and during level one of 30DS they were really bad so I couldn't do the jump ropes or the butt kicks. Instead I just did extra shadow boxing because I figured it wasn't worth hurting my leg more.
  • haramis
    Options
    I've read some more reviews of the workout this morning, and have come to the conclusion that I'm going to drop it. If you read the 1 and 2-star reviews on Amazon, people have had all manner of injuries with the video, mostly knees. It's probably a combination of inadequate warm-up and a focus on high impact cardio, plus not taking the time to set-up properly for the lunges; my other video always does a couple of slow lunges per side so that you have time to check your form, whereas Jillian just pushes right into it. I never, never have knee problems, and I noticed a slight twinge in my right knee when I was doing it yesterday. I'm going to take a couple of days off to heal, and then return to my old routine.

It's a bit like that old joke, "The patient lifts his hand above his head and says, 'Doctor, it hurts every time I go like this.' 'Well, don't go like that,"'the doctor says." This video is giving me joint pain and shin splints, so I'm not doing it again.