Are you a roller?

Options
I recently started using a foam roller. I have noticed a marked decrease in DOMS the following day, and am generally feeling better because of it. Now I simultaneously dread, and look forward to my daily session.

I didn't buy any books or videos with it. I am currently rolling my IT-band, glutes, hamstrings, and quads.

Any tips or techniques that work well for you?

Have you seen long term improvement or reduced injuries as a result of rolling regularly?

Do you roll daily or less often?

Replies

• CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Tried it. Got paint all over me.

Am I doing it wrong?
  • kingzx
    kingzx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just tried it a few times. I'm looking forward to learning more about it. Years to 'trouble' to be worked out, it seems like a pracitcal and sensible way to improve health and fitness? Think I'll look for some youtube movies :) Good Luck.
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    Tried it. Got paint all over me.

Am I doing it wrong?

Bwahahaha....
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I followed some of the youtube videos explaining how to do it. I usually do it after my C25K runs. I use it all over, but I scream when using it on my IT band. There is that spot half way to the knee that hurts like hell. I think the pain will gradually reduce with regular use.

Which spots hurts the most for you?
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Nah, im just a rubber outter. I'd love to have a foam roller for those rare occassions i might need one but the cheapest i have seen is 45 bucks and im too cheap to buy one.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I followed some of the youtube videos explaining how to do it. I usually do it after my C25K runs. I use it all over, but I scream when using it on my IT band. There is that spot half way to the knee that hurts like hell. I think the pain will gradually reduce with regular use.

Which spots hurts the most for you?

IT band hurts bad on me as well. especially after my long runs.
    Options
    Nah, im just a rubber outter. I'd love to have a foam roller for those rare occassions i might need one but the cheapest i have seen is 45 bucks and im too cheap to buy one.
    Target has them for $20

I bought one off amazon for $30 it has a hard core, and is supposed to last longer than the pure foam ones.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I use the rumble roller
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have been using one forever now I love it. It really gets into my sacitca pain. Also for your calfs try a small rolling pin, foot pain on the bottom of the foot a golf ball rolling is amazing.
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Options
    nerp to being a roller. I like the feel of DOMS :)
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I bought one not too long ago. I love it when I'm not too lazy by the time I get home to actually use it! I tend to focus on calves & IT band.
  • XMan714
    XMan714 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Foam rollers, I use a Triggerpoint.

http://tptherapy.com/shop/smrt-core-products/the-grid.html

Otherwise, daily use of The Stick.

https://www.thestick.com/

It's all about stretching and massaging as part of injury prevention.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Target has them for $20

I bought one off amazon for $30 it has a hard core, and is supposed to last longer than the pure foam ones.

They mustve been out of the $20 rollers when i went looking for them. All i saw were $45 rollers and they were pretty big.
    Options
    nerp to being a roller. I like the feel of DOMS :)

I like a little DOMS too!! What I don't like is that can't walk right, so forget about running, soreness that sometimes happens after leg day.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my foam roller! Great idea after long runs and leg day. Definitely helps with DOMS. Bought it when I injured my IT during my 1/2 training and while it was painful at first it did help big time.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I just bought one Monday at Sports Authority for $30 (I actually paid a tad less, had a coupon) and tried it that day. I haven't gotten to use it much yet but I am looking forward to using it on my calves after my runs.

I was then saddened to go to Target last night and see they had increased the amount of foam rollers they carry and that one of them was on sale for $20.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i roller blade.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I've just started using a roller to warm up as well as work out any soreness. Love it.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    In addition to legs, I also roll my thoracic spine and lats.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh yes. I bought a foam roller at D!ck's for 30 bucks and I'm nowhere near as sore as I was when I didn't use one. I use it on legs and lower back mostly, right after lifting. Heavenly!