Weight dropping off too slow

Options
Hi my name is Mia 48 yrs old looking to drop 60 lbs by my 49th birthday August 04th. I started my journey January 09th, 2013 and have lost 9 lbs and 3 inches off my waist to date.

I exercise 5 days a week for 1/2 hour on the treadmill and stay under my daily calorie count. Is 1/2 hour too little on the treadmill? Should I go up on my incline or faster on the speed?

I have had hip and ankle surgery on my left side and feel comfortable at just doing 1/2 hour before my hip and ankle start hurting. What do you think I should do?

Please feel free to add me to your friends list as I need support on here.

Cheers,

Mia

Replies

• Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    you have lost 9 lbs in about a month? that seems pretty solid to me.

sometimes the calculated calorie counts are off on here as well as the exercise calorie amounts

It tells me to eat like 2600 a day and i would lose a pound a week, but through my own trial and error i have found that 2200-2300 a day and i actually lose a pound a week - may just have to play around a bit.
  • jstout913
    jstout913 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was a treadmill user and walker, I live in a cold climate so I joined a cheap gym and discovered the elliptical trainier, there is no strain on my legs of knees and I get one great workout in 25 minutes. I am losing inches and it feels great. It burns a lot more calories than the treadmill.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    9 pounds in 5 weeks? Sounds perfect to me! I know it must feel slow, but it sounds like you're doing it right.

On the ankle and hip issue - keeping it at 30 minutes and SLOWLY (by slowly, I mean adding 2-5 minutes a WEEK) adding time. Consider bracing the ankle. I also find that a pre-emptive strike with ibuprofen about 60 minutes prior to working can also help.

Duration of exercise is up to you and your body composition and comfort. Research suggests 30 minutes most days, preferably at a higher intensity, is enough to see cardiac, respiratory, and weight benefits. The more energy you expend (ie upping the speed or the incline) can increase these benefits. However, that has to balanced with the injuries.

You could also consider keeping you pain-free 30 minutes on the treadmill, then tacking on 10 or 15 minutes of cycling or swimming. You may also want to add in some strengthening - this can help overall health as well as provide strength to the hip and ankle.

My best to you!
  • Tracyramos1220
    Tracyramos1220 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi Mia.

I don't think I would up your treadmill at all especially if your ankles and hips are ok to about 30 minutes and then they start bothering you. If you wanted to add more exercise, I would walk.

I personally started eating 600 more calories a day (eating up all of my exercise calories) and have gone over my allotted intake by a few calories and I have miraculously dropped pounds over the last couple of days. I really slowed down my metabolism the last few weeks due to eating too few of calories. I bet if you ate healthy foods every 2-3 hours and ate up your calories burned through exercise, you might rev up your metabolism. I know you hear it a lot but the last two days I have eaten upward of 1800 calories and I have dropped 3 pounds in 2 days. I cannot explain it but if you want to look at my food diary you can. I was 187.6 two days ago. Yesterday, I weighed 185.6 and this morning I was 184.4. I drank a lot of diet coke yesterday too (I was having a caffeine withdrawal headache) and I thought for sure I would weigh in heavier but didn't. I am now a firm believer of what all of these other people are saying about eating more. I always drink at least a gallon of water a day even though I don't log it!

Good luck!
  • ashleydmassey
    ashleydmassey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    you have lost 9 lbs in about a month? that seems pretty solid to me.

sometimes the calculated calorie counts are off on here as well as the exercise calorie amounts

It tells me to eat like 2600 a day and i would lose a pound a week, but through my own trial and error i have found that 2200-2300 a day and i actually lose a pound a week - may just have to play around a bit.

^ I agree 1000%. Experimenting has been the story of my MFP life so far. That and changing things up frequently. Sometimes I will workout six days in a row, some weeks I might do four or five days that week. I change up how much time I spend. Change is constant with me to avoid comfort. Same with calories. Some weeks I eat more. Some weeks I eat less. I have so many different workout routines I utilize. (Walking, jogging, Taebo, Shred, etc.) The point, I think, is to not get too comfortable, but don't strain or hurt yourself either.

But really, you are doing an awesome job at nine pounds in one month. That is not too shabby at all!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great. You are averaging 2 pounds a week! That is very healthy and sustainable. 9 pounds in a month is fantastic :)
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My lovely friend, I am lucky to read your updates very day. So to cheer you up I have worked out the following for you xx

167 days till Aug 1st
    Which is 23 weeks
    60 lbs to lose, and you have already lost 9
    = 51 lbs to go
    Which is 2.21 lbs per week

You on track, doing brilliantly, so head high and cannot wait to see the bday pics xxxxx
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I would love to lose 9 lbs in a month! Don't push yourself too much on treadmill, as you run the risk of injuring yourself again. As someone else mentioned, maybe try cycling or swimming. Add in some weight training. Again, you're off to a great start! Keep up the good work!

p.s. friend request sent
  • fulcrum900
    Options
    you should continue at this rate.....9 ponds in 5 weeks is great. A greater weight loss will weaken you and exacerbate your injury