Toning Question~

Options
Okay, so I want to get toned. and abs ( who doesn't, right? haha ) I know i have to lose the fat before the muscles show. I don't have THAT much fat. I'm like. Right on the line of overweight and normal. I have been doing 60 mins of cardio every day recently. I was wondering if i should be working on muscle exercises too though? Or should I wait until I lose the weight? I heard you bulk up if you gain muscle without losing the fat first, but would doing both make things go faster?

Also, when I do get toned ( yay for positive thinking!) I don't want to be like..ripped haha. So would how would I go about maintaining muscle? Do I just stay on the same routine? Or do I exercise fewer days a week?

Sorry if these are silly questions. xD; I've just always been researching about weight loss and never really got to the muscle gain part.

Replies

• Loftearmen
    Options
    If you want to have a low enough bodyfat percentage to show some muscle definition you need to be lifting, doing cardio and be on some sort of effective cutting diet (for the diet, I would recommend the carb nite solution)

Also, "tone" is a neurological function and cannot be changed. When you say "toned" what you mean is, "lean and muscular" since your muscle mass and bodyfat percentages are things which can be manipulated.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    You won't gain muscle or bulk up on a calorie deficit. Yes, I believe you should be lifting challenging weights now in order to preserve as much muscle mass as possible making it even easier to burn fat. Even if you were purposely trying to gain muscle meaning, eating at a calorie surplus and concentrating hard on lifting weights it's still hard for women to build muscle meaning you won't get bulky. Really muscular women often take enhancement drugs and work extremely hard to get that look. Cardio and weight lifting would be a perfect mix to acheive your goals.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    You won't gain muscle or bulk up on a calorie deficit. Yes, I believe you should be lifting challenging weights now in order to preserve as much muscle mass as possible making it even easier to burn fat. Even if you were purposely trying to gain muscle meaning, eating at a calorie surplus and concentrating hard on lifting weights it's still hard for women to build muscle meaning you won't get bulky. Really muscular women often take enhancement drugs and work extremely hard to get that look. Cardio and weight lifting would be a perfect mix to acheive your goals.

False on the 'cannot gain muscle in a deficit'. Since this person appears to be a total new jack to the lifting world, she can make some muscle gains with heavy lifting in a caloric deficit, assuming her macro profile is set up correctly, and that she has at least a fair amount of fat reserves. Am I saying she will? Nope. I don't know enough about her body. However the fact that my shoulder measurement has gone up by a few inches while my waist and weight has dropped significantly over my first few months of lifting (while in a 700-900 calorie deficit for most of the time) says that it is completely doable in the beginning.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    Options

False on the 'cannot gain muscle in a deficit'. Since this person appears to be a total new jack to the lifting world, she can make some muscle gains with heavy lifting in a caloric deficit, assuming her macro profile is set up correctly, and that she has at least a fair amount of fat reserves. Am I saying she will? Nope. I don't know enough about her body. However the fact that my shoulder measurement has gone up by a few inches while my waist and weight has dropped significantly over my first few months of lifting (while in a 700-900 calorie deficit for most of the time) says that it is completely doable in the beginning.

Ok, yes you got me there. Some people will have newbie gains. But as a woman myself that lifts heavy on a deficit (and I even have hormone issues and produce more testosterone than a lot of women and it's still very hard to gain true muscle). I know first hand how hard it is, that it won't be much of a gain and it won't last long. So I didn't bring it up as to scare her off or other women that want to get into weights but are afraid of "getting bulky".
  • Loftearmen
    Options

Ok, yes you got me there. Some people will have newbie gains. But as a woman myself that lifts heavy on a deficit (and I even have hormone issues and produce more testosterone than a lot of women and it's still very hard to gain true muscle). I know first hand how hard it is, that it won't be much of a gain and it won't last long. So I didn't bring it up as to scare her off or other women that want to get into weights but are afraid of "getting bulky".

Why do women always think that they'll accidentally get jacked? Men don't even accidentally get too big, you have to work, work, work for mass even when you are a guy who is naturally really big like me
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Because getting bulky is easy, duh. Just eat like normal, that which got you fat, hit the weights a couple times, and you're ready for a BBing compeition.

It is sooooo much harder to lose a couple pounds of fat.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

Why do women always think that they'll accidentally get jacked? Men don't even accidentally get too big, you have to work, work, work for mass even when you are a guy who is naturally really big like me

Because that's what we're told by people who want to sell us their diet and high weights, low rep plans and manufacturers of pink 2 lb. weights! ;)
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Even if you were purposely trying to gain muscle meaning, eating at a calorie surplus and concentrating hard on lifting weights it's still hard for women to build muscle meaning you won't get bulky.
    Also, "tone" is a neurological function and cannot be changed. When you say "toned" what you mean is, "lean and muscular" since your muscle mass and bodyfat percentages are things which can be manipulated.
    Why do women always think that they'll accidentally get jacked? Men don't even accidentally get too big, you have to work, work, work

Listen to these people they know what they are talking about. Don't be afraid to lift heavy. You won't look like she-hulk from doing squats.
  • CrowdStoppa
    Options

Listen to these people they know what they are talking about. Don't be afraid to lift heavy. You won't look like she-hulk from doing squats.

But you will probably end up with an *kitten* to kill!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Because that's what we're told by people who want to sell us their diet and high weights, low rep plans and manufacturers of pink 2 lb. weights! ;)

I think you meant high rep, low weight plans, at least that's what I gathered from the 2 lbs. dumbbell reference. ;)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

I think you meant high rep, low weight plans, at least that's what I gathered from the 2 lbs. dumbbell reference. ;)

Relative to the 2 lb dumbbell, it is still low rep though.

Working to true muscle failure with a 2 lb DB would be one heck of an exercise in willpower. Marathon curling sessions with thousands of reps.....
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Working to true muscle failure with a 2 lb DB would be one heck of an exercise in willpower. Marathon curling sessions with thousands of reps.....

I would honestly be most worried about losing any and all focus, and accidentally hitting myself in the mouth with it. Boredom can do terrible things to any lift.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    Options

I would honestly be most worried about losing any and all focus, and accidentally hitting myself in the mouth with it. Boredom can do terrible things to any lift.

:drinker:
  • XxSarahKatexX
    Options
    What are some Calisthenics I could do in addition to the the normal crunches, push ups, lunges, squats? I don't have access to a gym currently, but I do have two 5lb hand weights. I'm mainly concerned about the the abdominals, The upper arm muscles, and the butt.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Heavy lift - start now - you will be amazed.

If you don't know how or where to begin, I recommend the New Rules for Lifting for Women book. Best $14 I ever spent!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    What are some Calisthenics I could do in addition to the the normal crunches, push ups, lunges, squats? I don't have access to a gym currently, but I do have two 5lb hand weights. I'm mainly concerned about the the abdominals, The upper arm muscles, and the butt.
    Heck if that's all you want, then just do some heavy *kitten* deadlifts and pullups along with a calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options

Yes! Please, someone tell "us" the answer to this question. I've been wondering if I can get the same/similar benefits with calisthenics.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    You need to start lifting now, so you are not burning away your muscle with the fat.
    Sorry to break it to you, but if you are borderline overweight you are probably quite far off having a 6 pack, you need to have quite low body fat, but you can do it :)
    When you are happy with where you are at keep working out and eat at maintenance.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Regarding training the abs, the absolute WORST thing you can do are exercises such as crunches that specifically TARGET the abs. It sounds weird, I know, but the abs, as you know, are part of the core. The core's functional purpose of the human body is to a) protect the spine from being overloaded to the point of injury, and b) help the body stabilize when supporting off-balance loads and when in danger of losing balance. If you want to train it properly you should be forcing it to work hard in its natural role. In other words you shouldn't be doing exercises that target it. The proper way to train the abs is to train the whole body. Regardless of what area you WANT to focus on, you should be training the whole body. This is a fact. Pushups, pullups, dips, hanging leg raises, and doing lunges while supporting a weight above your head with arms fully extended are all GREAT core exercises.
  • XxSarahKatexX
    Options
    You need to start lifting now, so you are not burning away your muscle with the fat.
    Sorry to break it to you, but if you are borderline overweight you are probably quite far off having a 6 pack, you need to have quite low body fat, but you can do it :)
    When you are happy with where you are at keep working out and eat at maintenance.
    Haha well yeah. I meant i'm not obese or anything :P