Healthy Easy Jambalaya

Options
Here it is:

1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1-2 jalapenos ...(I like spicy, sometimes I do 3 depending on how hot they are)
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp McCormick Cajun seasoning ...(the McCormick Gourmet Collection is the most authentic I have found!)
2 chicken bouillon cubes & 1 1/2 cups water mixed
2 Tbsp oil ...(whichever you prefer. I like olive oil or butter)
1 1/2 cups meat! ...(Cubed chicken, shrimp, link or smoked sausage, sometimes a little bacon. Any combo works.)

After you have all your veggies chopped and diced, put your oil in a large frying pan and heat to high. When the oil is hot, add the onion, celery, bell pepper, jalapenos, garlic, and cajun seasoning. Stir-fry until onions start to become clear, about 6 minutes give or take. Add your meat and stir-fry a few minutes longer. Just until the outsides of the meat are a little cooked, but not the insides (this seals in the meats natural juices so it doesn't have a dry, boiled texture). Add your chicken bouillon & water and turn heat down to a simmer. Let simmer until meat is cooked through. (This will vary from depending on the meat you choose. Fish and shrimp cook very fast, 5 minutes. But Usually 8-10 minutes or so will do it for chicken)

That's it!

I don't measure when I cook so all these are approximate. You can add more or less of anything you like and it will still come out awesome. If I want the carbs I put it over rice. Also, a few other veggies that are yummy to add if you like them: Cauliflower, zucchini, kale and spinach. You can add any of these after you add the liquid. Just make sure you have enough liquid to cover everything.

I made this recipe up, so it isn't super authentic jambalaya, but it's close and it's yummy! Enjoy!

Replies

• MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Giving this a shot this weekend!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Thanks this sounds great
  • luckychef13
    luckychef13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great share! Actually served Jambalaya at my restaurant yesterday for Fat Tuesday. We don't serve any beef or pork there so I substituted a Chicken Andouille. It has fewer calories and lower fat, but a great spicy flavor!
  • jimmyalice1984
    jimmyalice1984 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious, unfortunately I don't think we have that brand of seasoning here in UK but I will find a substitute and give it a go :smile:
  • Abi_bug04
    Options
    BUMP!!! Yum.
  • Cocoapuff717
    Options
    Sounds delicious, unfortunately I don't think we have that brand of seasoning here in UK but I will find a substitute and give it a go :smile:

Here is a mix of spices you can make yourself thats just as yummy!

2-1/2 Tbsp paprika
    2 Tbsp garlic powder
    1 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
    1 Tbsp onion powder
    1 Tbsp cayenne
    1 Tbsp dried oregano
    1 Tbsp dried thyme
  • 1jobean
    Options
    Bump
  • biggirl1000
    biggirl1000 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    bump - thanks for posting. Sounds tasty.
  • chylo1
    chylo1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I make jambalaya on a semi regular basis....I'm from New Orleans. Don't use Jalapenos!!!!! Use Louisiana Hot Sauce. Zero calories and 240 mg of sodium per tsp. Kinda high, but will taste so much better!!!

I think the main thing you would have to worry about with regular Jambalaya is the sodium. And you can easily use brown rice. Don't mess up a good thing!!!!