wondering

Options
Hello friends.
So, 80 day on MFP has given me strength to lose 19 lbs. All of that weight was lost in the first 6 weeks! I've hit a horrible plateau and can't seem to break it. But that's not what I"m wondering about.

So, 19 lbs is a huge amount of weight when 40 lbs was my entire weight loss goal. That's almost half way done. Nobody outside of my family has mentioned that they noticed, until I mentioned to a co-worker that I was going to buy new pants, and she said, "oh, i've noticed you've lost weight.

Here's the point...There is no way on Gods Earth that not one single person notices a 19 lb weight loss - that's the difference between 185 lbs to 166 lbs. I'm 5 ' 5. I'm wondering when others noticed your weight loss. 20 lbs. 40 lbs?? I totally agree that weight loss is for yourself and I'm super proud of myself. However, it just dawned on me today - I wonder how many times somebody close to me has been making life changes with exercise and eating, and I just didn't notice or compliment them?

Replies

• loseitlaney
    loseitlaney Posts: 14
    Options
    The only person who has commented on mine has been my boyfriend and my mother who lives overseas. I was talking to him about this and he seemed to think people may just not want to say "oh you look like you lost some weight" as in implying I was fat. I'm not too sure about that opinion though.

So far I've lost 26 pounds and at times I even find myself struggling to visualize the weight loss. My tops are no longer larges, I'm now in a medium and I managed to get into a size 8 jean last weekend but had a little muffin top and the 10 is a little loose. But I still look at myself and don't think I look all that different. I teach so I am hoping when school is out I manage to get near my goal, and then see what people say when I get back to school towards the end of August.
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    heres the thing. I dont think that people like to comment on others weight loss because they have the fear that maybe you really havent lost any and its just their imagination. I have a Co-worker that i know lost some weight but i just couldnt bring up the fact that they did for some reason. Not really sure why because i know how good it feels when someone asks about my own weight loss.
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    Unless you are the one bringing up the topic, most people (ME) are uncomfortable commenting on another person's weight. I'm afraid the other person will hear "wow you've lost a bunch of weight" as "Hey you don't look so fat anymore". It's a dilemna for sure. At least you know what you've accomplished and great job. Keep it up.
  • Tatsu2010
    Tatsu2010 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, regardless who has said it or not, to both of you... =) It's kinda funny because I never mind giving someone that compliment at work or otherwise. It seems like a nice thing to say, and even nicer to hear. I think people just like to have their hard work being acknowledged. I know myself how hard it is to make any kind of change in lifestyle, let alone stick with it long enough to get results! It just takes a little tact...lol.
  • kimmyonherway
    kimmyonherway Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, regardless who has said it or not, to both of you... =) It's kinda funny because I never mind giving someone that compliment at work or otherwise. It seems like a nice thing to say, and even nicer to hear. I think people just like to have their hard work being acknowledged. I know myself how hard it is to make any kind of change in lifestyle, let alone stick with it long enough to get results! It just takes a little tact...lol.

I always enjoy your ideas! Thanks ;)
  • mara16bryan
    Options
    I've lost 16 total pounds (10 using MFP) since February and exactly one person has noticed. Most of it has come off my face, so definitely noticeable. The woman that noticed was super sweet about it and instead of saying, "Are you losing weight?" said, "You are looking fantastic! Whatever you are doing, keep up the good work!" That one person was all I needed to hear :-) So there you have it, you are looking fantastic! And whatever you are doing - keep up the good work!
  • Thaedra
    Thaedra Posts: 52
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder if people don't compliment others for losing weight unless they are actually "thin" again. I have lost 35 lbs this past year (10 since I joined MFP in April) but I still need to lose another 30 or so. I have gotten compliments from some people (like my mom) but nothing from others. Even after mentioning it. And the others I am referring to are... you guessed it, SKINNY. Oh well, whatever... I know I am getting there. And my husband says he thinks I look great, bless his heart :blushing:
  • Pollart77
    Pollart77 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think that sometimes people are jealouse/uncomfortable around others that have lost weight because they themselves are not motivated to do it and do not want to get into a healthy lifesty discussion. I typically find that other overweight people are the last ones that will comment on someones weight loss
  • kimmyonherway
    Options
    I think that sometimes people are jealouse/uncomfortable around others that have lost weight because they themselves are not motivated to do it and do not want to get into a healthy lifesty discussion. I typically find that other overweight people are the last ones that will comment on someones weight loss

I agree - completley. Glad to have some thoughts confirmed. I will now and forever always compliment changes in others. And more importantly I will pay closer attention to others around me - everyone deserves recognition!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I had lost 27 pounds until I bought a new scale now its only 22 pounds but I only have 124 pounds to go so on me it is not noticeable at all, none what so ever, nada, zip, zilch, nuttin. So its gonna be a long time for people to notice. I'm sure people are noticing but afraid to mention it. Good luck with you other 20
  • Pollart77
    Pollart77 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

I agree - completley. Glad to have some thoughts confirmed. I will now and forever always compliment changes in others. And more importantly I will pay closer attention to others around me - everyone deserves recognition!

I know I used to be the same way and now as soon and I think I notice a change in someone I will tell them. No matter who you are it always feels good for someone to say "have you lost weight"!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Hi Kimmy! Looks like we live just across the river from one another! Have you been able to enjoy the glorious weather?

I agree with what a lot of others have said in that it can make people nervous to bring up weight. In fact, *I'M* a little embarrassed when people notice my weight loss now. I guess that's because it highlights just how much I had let myself slip in the past few years. I am guessing that more people have noticed it than are letting on.
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    As a lot of other people have been saying, I think that talking about someone's weight is a rather touchy/sensitive subject. Perhaps people have noticed, but just would rather not go there. Personally, if I notice something different or positive about someone, I will make some sort of comment. Everybody loves compliments. I have even complimented perfect strangers about how they look, etc. Another thing is that I think that people who see you everyday don't necessarily notice changes. They are so busy and used to the daily grind that they don't pay attention -however big or small the change is. Honestly, some people are so self involved to notice what is going on with others. However, on the flip side, sometimes it's the people who rarely see you who will notice that you've lost weight and any other changes in you. Whatever the case may be, you see and know that you've been losing weight so that is what's most important. Congratulations on your weight loss so far!
  • kimmyonherway
    Options
    Hi Kimmy! Looks like we live just across the river from one another! Have you been able to enjoy the glorious weather?

I agree with what a lot of others have said in that it can make people nervous to bring up weight. In fact, *I'M* a little embarrassed when people notice my weight loss now. I guess that's because it highlights just how much I had let myself slip in the past few years. I am guessing that more people have noticed it than are letting on.

My side of the river is sunny and happy too ;)