uncle ben insant brown rice...good or bad?

Options
they say you should eat brown rice over white. but i've noticed that i simply can't cook it. typically i hate uncle bens, i would rather steam white rice any day then eat it. but i started buying uncle ben's brown rice, and i've basically switched.

but is uncle ben's brown rice better than just plain white rice? (not uncle ben's- just typical white rice)

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes. The reason brown rice is considered 'better' is that it has not had most of the fiber stripped away like white rice has. Uncle Ben's brown rice includes the fiber.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
  • dstromley1
    Options
    white rice is not good at all. same category as white bread. causes huge insulin spikes. Eat whole grain wheat everything
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's near you...Trader Joe's Instant Brown Rice...in the freezer section. AWESOME!!!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-rice020000000000000000000.html

This will give you some info on the nutritional content of different types of rice :)

Brown rice is more natural than white rice, it hasn't been as processed and you can find similarities with white bread vs whole wheat :)

Also great tip on the rice cooker, I might just have to get it!
  • UpsideMeagan
    UpsideMeagan Posts: 67 Member
    Options

I second the advice on the rice cooker. I hated cooking rice until I got mine..now I use it all the time.
  • Lucyk00
    Lucyk00 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I second the rice cooker. I love mine and you can do sooo much with it. Super easy, fast, cheap and healthy. Total win.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Brown rice requires a little more water to cook than white rice and will still have a slightly different texture to it.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options

I second the advice on the rice cooker. I hated cooking rice until I got mine..now I use it all the time.

I use my rice cooker all the time! And I can steam my veggies with it!
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble cooking it, get a microwave rice cooker. For brown rice I just put the amount into the container, cover it plus 1cm with boiling water, put in the microwave for 10mins, take out, stir and put back in for another 10 mins. Brown is nuttier and more crunchy than white but this never fails and is easy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Yep, millions of Asians are overweight and health stricken because of white rice:laugh: .......................................while brown rice will pack a little more magnesium and selenium and fiber, white rice isn't the devil that many make it out to be. I'll pick white rice over brown rice anyday.............especially when eating sushi.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DiskeyWhisco
    Options
    I was basically in the same boat, I just switched to Brown Rice, and I love Uncle Bens rice, 2 minutes in the microwave and your done!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Yep, millions of Asians are overweight and health stricken because of white rice:laugh: .......................................while brown rice will pack a little more magnesium and selenium and fiber, white rice isn't the devil that many make it out to be. I'll pick white rice over brown rice anyday.............especially when eating sushi.

IDEA Fitness member

hahaha, they are not overweight because they do not eat 10 servings in one sitting like Americans do. they actually eat the proper amount of food.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I have been using this method for perfect brown rice...nice and easy

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Rinse rice in a strainer under cold running water for 30 seconds. Bring 12 cups water to a boil in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid over high heat. Add the rice, stir it once, and boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Pour the rice into a strainer over the sink.

2. Let the rice drain for 10 seconds, then return it to the pot, off the heat. Cover the pot and set it aside to allow the rice to steam for 10 minutes. Uncover the rice, fluff with a fork, and season with salt.
  • Micheetah
    Micheetah Posts: 184 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Thank you! I eat white rice and grew up with it nearly everyday like an asian (but Im peruvian) so it remains a staple in my life. I have lost weight still eating it. Like what you eat or you won't stick to the lifestyle change you're making. If you like brown rice then eat it, if you prefer white, eat it. Although, I would try to stay away from instant.. rice cookers are awesome
  • theMIDDLE
    Options
    bump for that rice cooker link. need one bad.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

hahaha, they are not overweight because they do not eat 10 servings in one sitting like Americans do. they actually eat the proper amount of food.

And the amount of exercise. Brown rice is being looked at to see if it can curb diabetes in China.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/magazine/brown-rice/
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I have never used a rice cooker but am eating more and more brown rice.

How long do they take to cook rice?

Do all rice cookers work well for both brown and white rice?

Any other tips, hints, product suggestions?

Thanks!
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    Thank you! Rice is a staple in the diets of many of the healthiest cultures. Much of the world would starve without rice. We get into trouble because we put food loaded with calories on top of rice to make a meal.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Thank you! I eat white rice and grew up with it nearly everyday like an asian (but Im peruvian) so it remains a staple in my life. I have lost weight still eating it. Like what you eat or you won't stick to the lifestyle change you're making. If you like brown rice then eat it, if you prefer white, eat it. Although, I would try to stay away from instant.. rice cookers are awesome.
    Ewwww. Instant white rice to me tastes NOTHING like bagged rice that I have to wash and cook in a rice cooker! Also if that rice isn't sticky (not like glue mind you) then it ain't being cooked right!!!

IDEA Fitness member