Running Shoes

Options
What are some good suggestions for running shoes? I run roughly about 20-30 miles a week. I weigh 255 lbs., so I've been told I need a shoe with stability. What do you use and what do you like?

Replies

• TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big fan of New Balance; I am what is euphamistically known as a "high impact runner". Nikes are usually too narrow for my feet. The best thing is to go to a Foot Locker or the like and talk to their professionals. They'll set you straight.
  • Mandatrain
    Options
    I would go to a running store. They will watch you run on a treadmill and help you pick shoes based on a lot of different things (arch, pronation, injuries, mileage, weight, etc...). I'm diggin Brooks Ravenna 4 right now.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I'm an asics fan. I know someone with foot issues who recently got newtons and she loves them. I also have read that mizuno's are good for 'larger' runners (I've been thinking about trying them, as I'm still considered 'larger' I guess at 186lbs). I swear by asics though. but yes, go to a running store, and get properly fitted (this does not mean d!cks or sports authority) - an actual running store.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to the Merrill trail minimal show and love it. I used to wear normal running shoes but once switching to the minimal I have cut out a lot of knee and back issues. They are just like normal shoes but with a smaller sole but you can still run in areas with small rocks etc, so its not like the barefoot style. Good luck
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Try this site. It takes your weight, height, experience and other factors in to account and then they recommend a shoe for you. http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor I have to be careful because I have the flattest feet ever so I have a hard time finding shoes, but this site is fairly accurate for me. Plus it's not on an actual shoe website, it's for runners. So less bias to use a particular brand name shoe.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Head for a running store and let them fit you. A good store will analyze your gait and recommend the best shoe for you. It's well worth it to avoid knee issues.
  • ekey96
    Options
    Hit a running store such as road runner sports and let them fit you. They will track your run patterns and recommend shoes based on that.

I have had major foot issues in the past and have found that Brooks running shoes with Green Superfeet in them are the best combination for me right now. I have noticed a HUGE difference in my feet though as I continue to lose. Both the way I run and also my sizing.

I am just getting back into tracking so right now I am at a 0 loss. But keep checking on me....fit at 40 is what I am shooting for.