Nike plus running gear- advice please!

Options
Hi I am wanting to get into running, I have started off on the treadmill now feel I can run for long enough to go outdoors haha. I am quite fit and do a lot of spinning / other cardio just havent got much stamina for running... yet!

Anyway... can anyone tell me the difference between all the nike+ running stuff i.e.
the fuel band
the sportswatch
the sportsband
the sensor

Are any of them worth buying or should I stick with just the running app? Or should I buy the shoes and use the app that syncs with the shoes? Im just a bit confused what the difference is between everything!! Any advice greatly appreciated

Many thanks
Kelly :) xx

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I just use the free app for my iPhone. I like it - it plays my music and lets me track the miles on my shoes. And, since I can be an attention *kitten*, I like that it posts my runs to Facebook too.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Bump! Wondering the same myself.
  • kellybatkin
    kellybatkin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ahhh I see, but you need to have the nike running shoes with the sensor in for the app??

• cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    i have the sensor and I don't find it to be very accurate (for either distance or calories... distance is close, but calories are way off). I just recently got the RunTastic app, and for distance it is PERFECT as it uses GPS, so the distance is accurate - caloires not so much, but I use my HRM for that. Depends on what you are looking to track I guess?
  • WoWkat
    WoWkat Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, the Nike+ Running ap is all you need.

The sensor is for people who do not have a smart phone, you plug it into your shoe and the other end into an iPod.

I have a fuelband, but it's more of a seperate thing, just for tracking daily Nikefuel burned.

The Nike+ running ap is AMAZING! I run in a really hilly area, and I lvoe that it tracks time, distance, pace, gives you a map of where you've been, once it starts to learn your runs it will tell you when you're at the halfway point. It also lets you know every mile you've ran, and what your current overall pace is, and your fastest pace in that run.
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    ahhh I see, but you need to have the nike running shoes with the sensor in for the app??

There is an attachment you can buy to put the sensor on any runners. I do have the Nike Shoes... but you don't need to :drinker:
  • kellybatkin
    kellybatkin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replys guys!! I am mostly looking to track distance, calories would just be a bonus! I am getting an iphone next week! So if im right I can just get the app and dont need any shoes or sensor! And I can still listen to music :) Sounds good!!!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, the Nike+ Running ap is all you need.

Yup.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I have the fuel band and the Nike GPS watch. The Fuel Band is more like a glorified pedometer. It does track steps and calories but it uses an accelerometer like a smart phone to track things. So your wrist has to be moving to track.

I use my Nike GPS watch to track my running. It is accurate but you have to calibrate it first. The instructions are on Nike's website. The $169 version comes with the shoe pod for running on a treadmill. The $149 version is just the watch. You don't need the pod if you're running outside. The watch's GPS functionality tracks your runs.
  • TxHamJello
    Options
    Kellybatkin; some differences, you will probably kill your battery if you are using a running ap, listening to your MP3 etc all on your iPhone. I use the Nike+ watch, and it is great for tracking the distance, elevation changes, average pace, history, supports running intervals, tracks splits . . . . There are any number of possibilities out there that can give you the same capabilities, but I do like the Nike+ watch.

The sensor you can wear in/on any shoe also allows you to track the same information while running on a treadmill. I did notice issues with the sensor being accurate. But, the combination of using it outside with GPS and on the treadmill have made it much more accurate for my distances.

Cheers
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I had a couple of sensors & found them inaccurate. Sometimes they would just stop transmitting in the middle of a run. Or if you stop for a couple of minutes (water break or whatever) then thing could blink off and I wouldn't realize it. Really too much of a hassle for something that didn't give accurate results. As others have said, a smartphone with a gps ap will give you better results.

That said I have returned to low-tech running. Just me and my shoes and the great outdoors.