Beginner Exercise Routine

Options
I'm looking for suggestions on how to start an exercise routine. I haven't done anything on a regular basis in a long time and I'd like to start on a beginner exercise program and work my way up to something bigger eventually. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be great!

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    There are lots of them ... what are you into? Turbo Jam, Rev Abs, Hip Hop Abs, Slim in 6, Power 90, 30 Day Shred, Power Half Hour ...
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yes, it really depends on what you are interested in -kickboxing, yoga, dancing, running, etc.. The most important thing is that you like the type of exercise or you won't stick with it. If you haven't been exercising at all, just walking more is truly the best place to start. You can really burn quite a bit of calories at a good pace. I hear that some people really like the Leslie Sansone dvds. A lot of people advocate Jillian Michael's dvds -she really makes you work hard. If time is a factor, there are a ton of 10 Minute Solutions dvds out there too. Hope you find something that you like!
  • gigibon
    gigibon Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm not really into anything in particular, which is the problem...!
    I like yoga, and anything low-impact aerobic (knee injury). I want to get into a routine of light weights and cardio I can do at home.
    I'm just not sure where to start making a plan. I always get stuck here...
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    Do you have a budget?
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I have always been advised to just start out with walking. I really like Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds DVDs (I have the Express ones and the 5 Day Fitness Walk, the Express is my favorite). They are walking with a bit more added movement. I am not coordinated enough for aerobics :) and I have no problem with these. That's about all I am doing right now. I am doing those (the Express tapes have "stretchie bands" which add in a little upper body strength training) or walking outside/doing strength training with hand weights when the weather is nice outside. I'm planning on doing Couch to 5K eventually but thinking I will do at least a month of just walking first and then see if I want to brave the summer humidity to start running or wait until fall to try that!

(Wanted to add you can often find WATP DVDs on Ebay for cheaper than in the stores if that is a factor!)
  • gigibon
    Options
    Not really, but I don't want to spend more than $100.
  • gigibon
    Options
    I have always been advised to just start out with walking. I really like Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds DVDs (I have the Express ones and the 5 Day Fitness Walk, the Express is my favorite). They are walking with a bit more added movement. I am not coordinated enough for aerobics :) and I have no problem with these. That's about all I am doing right now. I am doing those (the Express tapes have "stretchie bands" which add in a little upper body strength training) or walking outside/doing strength training with hand weights when the weather is nice outside. I'm planning on doing Couch to 5K eventually but thinking I will do at least a month of just walking first and then see if I want to brave the summer humidity to start running or wait until fall to try that!

(Wanted to add you can often find WATP DVDs on Ebay for cheaper than in the stores if that is a factor!)

Thank you for all of the info. This sounds like what I'm looking for as far as getting started. (I'm going to check Ebay for sure!) Please let me know your progress! Good luck!
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    Yoga Zone has some nice beginner videos. One of my first workout videos was Yoga Zone Total Body. My first was Classical Stretch; not a yoga zone but working on my flexibility really helped prime me for more difficult workouts.