New and very happy!

Options
I am 28 yrs old and i have ALOT of weight to lose...240lbs to be exact. I was kind of skeptical about this whole calorie counting thing at first, as i've tried so many diets in the past. I think the biggest thing that has put me on this path is my Dr. has referred me for the gastric surgery. At first I was enthusiastic about it, but after a long hard look at that road I have decided that I am fully capable of doing this on my own.

I've discovered today I have lost 16 lbs in 4 weeks and my calorie intake has averaged to 1500 a day. I haven't focused so much on exercise at the moment, as my knees and lower back are terrible from being so heavy. That will be incorporated soon enough

My diary is open and I am looking to connect with people who are in the same shoes. Feel free to add me and share your stories so far :) I am absolutely in love with this site and the app. 2013 is definitely my year :)

Replies

• SteveK279
    SteveK279 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Glad you're enjoying it here - I've been a member since October and so far so good. I know 240 seems high at the moment, but it'll drop quickly enough once you keep eating right and faster still once you can get moving too. I don't quite have that much to lose, but as someone who had a probable 3 figure goal for weight loss (even if I wasn't brave enough to admit it!), I'm probably not too dissimilar
  • SlimPossible8
    SlimPossible8 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I wish you great luck on your journey! With that attitude you will have a much better road to travel. Try to keep this exact post in your thoughts when you start to struggle (because you will...we all do at some point). I cant wait to see your progress!
  • Jubee31
    Jubee31 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hey! Welcome to MFP! It's so awesome that you have decided to lose the weight on your own! You can do it! Good luck on your journey, and you've already done really well!
  • skinnyiverson
    Options
    Welcome! I commend you for trying to loose the weight on your own. I have also been temped with weight loss surgery but really want to prove it to myself that i can do it without intervention. I sent you a friend request. :flowerforyou: Best of Luck!
  • missrawkie85
    missrawkie85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the wonderful welcomes and support! :)
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    16 pounds in a month is awesome! You are doing great and since you're enjoying it, it will be much easier to keep up long term. Good for you!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I am older than you by 40 years, but I have been in your shoes...or should I say knees. I know what your future could be...because I am living it in a wheelchair. My doctors talked about gastric surgery, and I also chose to lose weight the 'old fashioned way' by choosing the right food to eat each day.

You are doing well, but you need companions on this journey for the days ahead. Count me in.

You have some wonderful goals. Focus on them and call on us, if you need encouragement. :heart:
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey. I had the same problem with my back until not too long ago. I have mild scoliosis, so my weight was making it difficult to walk or even stand for very long without causing my back to spasm out and take me off my feet for the rest of the day. I'm down 93 lbs so far by this whole calorie counting thing, and I can now to distance running and weights with nary a twinge of my back. Keep with it, and things will get better.