Crossfit or Bootcamp

Options
Hi Everyone, I am back on MFP since dropping off over a year ago. I have since in addition to the gym, joined crossfit. Does anyone know how to log this? Is it more strengh? Cardio? Its kinda both. Any tips are helpfull. I do use a HRM and do get my calories burned but worndering how to log it? I did not see crossfit or bootcamp when seaching excersize. Any tips are helpful

Thanks
Roseyrose

Replies

• Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you forget about doing Crossfit and find a good boot camp class that has reasonable exercise routines. Crossfit is KNOWN for being extreme to the point of causing injury.

Getting Fit, Even if It Kills You
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all

Bootcamp programs can be good, or they can be extreme, so I would suggest that people interested in boot camp classes check them out and observe a class or two before you decide if you want to get involved.

Good luck!
  • roseyrose2000
    roseyrose2000 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, i do appreciate it. While i will agree with you on this, This specific crossfit does not use heavy weights, it is more intense than a bootcamp, and less intense than other Crossfits that i have been too that use heavy weights. This is why i am sticking with this place. Trainor is excellent!!!

But the original question was i do I log it in the exercise area?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Circuit training
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Health_gal hates Crossfit but has never tried it.

Log it as circuit training.
  • Debbs83
    Debbs83 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi rosey. I love the bootcamp at my gym. It's more like a group training session with 2 other clients. We lift heavy, do circuits, and also conditioning (prowler runs, etc.) However, I would take crossfit if: a) I didn't have this class available to me and b) I could afford it. Crossfit is crazy money!
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think crossfit can be safe. There's a great site called motility WOD (workout of the day) -- written by a physical therapist. He has all kinds of tips for crossfitting safely.

I don't do it -- it's too intense for me. But I understand why people do. Time, for one thing (do more in less time). Results for another.

Good luck with it!

To answer your question, I log an hour of boot camp as 30 minutes calisthenics + 30 minutes strength training. Probably not exact, but approximates my workout.

Thanks for reminding me. I forgot to log today. :heart:
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar issue. I participate in bootcamps where I feel like the MFP categories Circuit Training or Calenthetics don't really apply because we aren't necessarily doing push-up/sit-ups, etc, but rather cardio driven exercises like broad jumps, lunges, suicides, squats, and ladder drills.

Any suggestions for logging besides Circuit Training?
  • bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM during my Bootcamp and use those calories.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

ding, ding, ding! Winner, winner, chicken dinner! :-)
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    If you are using an HR< and know your calorie burn, why not just create a new workout called Crossfit and put your info into it?
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I recommend you getting a heart rate monitor.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    crossfit is my number one method of exercise.... and we have a GREAT Level 1 Certified Trainer who is also a PT, and two other certified trainers, who take the time and effort to show us how to move correctly as to prevent injury. you can fall on your face on a treadmil if you're not paying attention. anything can be bad for you. crossfit gets a LOT of negative attention... i don't think it's given a fair chance. I've come leaps and bounds from where i was, and without injury as i've been taught correctly. I agree some gyms are more focused on reps and time than execution, and that's where some of the bad rap comes from.

my advice, do what you like and what you can stick to. it'll make it that much easier to succeed. :) best of luck!
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    LOVE Crossfit and LOVE bootcamp classes as well. I think adding variety really helps with boredom. ;) Either one is a great choice.
    However, I would not trust MFP for logging how many calories you've burned. These are not accurate because calories burned are individual results.
    HRM!!!! is your answer! Buy one and look on craigslist if price is an issue. This is the most accurate way of tracking how much you're burning.

Good luck!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Since you use a HRM you can make up your own exercise name and call it whatever you want and put in your calories that way.
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options

This is what I do since neither bootcamp nor Crossfit (I've done both and currently staying with CrossFit) fall into a pre-made category. I created exercises called "Bootcamp" and "CrossFit" and log in the time and calories.

In answer to the OP's question, I prefer CrossFit. I find that the CrossFit trainer is more attentive to my progress and the program based on actual data (measurable).
  • KikuLogan
    KikuLogan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I personally love Crossfit and as someone who has NEVER done anything even close to that intense in her life (couch to 5k on my treadmill 2 years ago was a huge stride for me) I've been doing it for 6 months without injury. It's all about taking the time to do the movements CORRECTLY. I'm not competing with anyone but myself. At our box I find that the men are usually the ones that get hurt because they find it hard to leave their ego at the door. JMO. And FWIW Crossfit has CHANGED MY BODY in 6 months of 2x/week. I have lines in my stomach (NEVER had any muscle definition ANYWHERE), I weigh what I weighed when I was 23 (I am 35 with a 2 year old and a 4 year old), and I can deadlift more than my body weight. Yeah, I'm all about Crossfit. LOL
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Crossfit sets goals in their workouts that are too extreme for anyone but a highly trained athlete.

If Crossfit wants to market itself to the average person that wants to get fit, why don't they have more reasonable workouts with more reasonable goals?

BTW, dead lifting more than your body weight is not a reasonable goal for most people. Nor is that kind of lifting necessary. The kind of heavy lifting Crossfit pushes participants to engage in is an invitation to injury.
  • jimmie65
    Options
    Crossfit sets goals in their workouts that are too extreme for anyone but a highly trained athlete.

If Crossfit wants to market itself to the average person that wants to get fit, why don't they have more reasonable workouts with more reasonable goals?
    Uh... they do. It's called scaling.
    BTW, dead lifting more than your body weight is not a reasonable goal for most people.
    I'm 47 years old, weigh 230 lbs (having lost 100), and started lifting in October. I deadlift 285. (It's actually kinda low, since I squat 330).

I'm really sorry you have decided to sell yourself short. But convincing others to also sell themselves short won't change that.
  • kschlitz
    Options
    I have to chime in on this. Crossfit can be a major cause of Vertebral Artery Dissection in this NEW fad exercise. This leads to the main cause of stroke in young people. Not worth it. Not well known, until you are the one with the stroke, if you survive it. Ask any neurologist or stroke team. Life changing.
  • jimmie65
    Options
    I have to chime in on this. Crossfit can be a major cause of Vertebral Artery Dissection in this NEW fad exercise. This leads to the main cause of stroke in young people. Not worth it. Not well known, until you are the one with the stroke, if you survive it. Ask any neurologist or stroke team. Life changing.

It can also be a major cause of erectile dysfunction, kidney failure, and cooties. Just take my word for it.