Where do I even start?!

Options
You know, you'd think losing weight wouldn't be such a pain!

I've been eating healthy as of last week, and want to try and incorporate exercise into my plan to aid weightloss. So far, I've burnt myself out at the gym and now lack much motivation to go back. I think instead of forcing myself to stay there for 2 hours or so, I was thinking of trying to break it down into smaller chunks to make it more "worth it" to work out. Does anyone have any ideas of how to have a more effective work out?

Oh, and as a side note, I'm a bit peckish and fancy something sweet. Anyone have any ideas for something at about 130 calories?

Replies

• 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Depends on how fit you are right now. If you're not up for monster sessions on the elliptical, that's fine. Just walk for a few minutes. Also, incorporate strength training into your routine. Try the JEFIT app if you want to start off on a ready-made routine.

For a snack, have a piece of fruit.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do 2 hours. You can get a good HIIT workout in 30 min that is very effective
    http://www.gymboss.com/hiit-workout.php

30 min-1 hour is fine and the key is finding something you enjoy doing. Do they offer classes? If so, take some and see what you like. You'll stop dreading going back.

As far as low cal snacking, there are lots you can do. I cannot give up chocolate. Just can't. So I just eat small amounts. 2 Hershey miniatures, fun size bars, or drink a coffee with a fat free chocolate creamer. Fruit is a great choice, but if you are like me, I just have small portions to get me past the sweet cravings
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym. There's really no sense to spending hours in the gym until you're exhausted. Find 30 minutes of something you like to do.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Instead of 2 hours at the gym..why don't you try a workout dvd or go for a short run or something. I don't normally workout for longer than an hour a day (if that) It makes it easier to stick with it when it doesn't consume my entire evening. Good luck!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym. There's really no sense to spending hours in the gym until you're exhausted. Find 30 minutes of something you like to do.

This.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You know, you'd think losing weight wouldn't be such a pain!

I've been eating healthy as of last week, and want to try and incorporate exercise into my plan to aid weightloss. So far, I've burnt myself out at the gym and now lack much motivation to go back. I think instead of forcing myself to stay there for 2 hours or so, I was thinking of trying to break it down into smaller chunks to make it more "worth it" to work out. Does anyone have any ideas of how to have a more effective work out?

Oh, and as a side note, I'm a bit peckish and fancy something sweet. Anyone have any ideas for something at about 130 calories?

Look into a strength training program and eat at a moderate deficit.

What you're doing now isn't sustainable in the long term.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 only takes about 45 minutes, and that should be enough to wear you out once you start getting into heavier weights

Mix in 15 minutes of cardio afterwards (if you can) and you've got a great workout

ETA: maybe a Hershey's Kiss or Tootsie Roll? Hard candies are pretty low-cal too. Best bet would be some fruit though
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    2 hours in a LONG work out for ANY BODY, never mind someone who is just starting out or back at it. 30 minute tops should get you a good start or finish to your day. Find something fun about exercising that you do like, for instance, Zumba classes, weight lifting. punching bag, elliptical....mix it up. Good luck
  • ashleydmassey
    ashleydmassey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite go-to sweets is sugar-free chocolate pudding with a dollop of lite cool whip on top. You can probably even add a graham cracker or a few teddy grahams and be at that 130ish range. You can add a few dark chocolate chips.
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options

i agree with this. my exercises of choice are swimming, weight lifting and walking my dog. i can't swim right now (new piercing) and i've lost all motivation to sit in a gym with it getting lighter outside. so currently the dog is getting an extra hour's walk in the evening that he wasn't getting before. i won't be a ripped model in 6 months, but i also won't burn myself out.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    start slow. Check out You Tube, they have loads of workout videos, try Fitness Blender or Be Fit. I started by going to my local library and trying different workout dvds, I found Jillian Michaels circuit training workouts started doing them and now I'm doing Turbo Fire. If you are a member of a gym that has classes, try different classes. I work out for about 60-70 a day, that includes a nice long stretch routine.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

This.

Also agree!
  • bviv89
    bviv89 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have only been pushing my workouts for six weeks and am just now feeling stronger. It takes time and commitment. My fitness classes usually run for 45 minutes and go at your own pace - know what pushes you but don't hurt yourself. I have a sweet tooth as well - and the best thing I can do is to treat it every day because otherwise I'll overdo the sweets if I prevent myself from having anything. I switched to 65% dark chocolate with crystallized ginger, frozen yogurt, PB&J on a rice cake, and even some of my favorite ice cream in a very small dish. I'm very visual so I also switched to using a smaller plate for my meals.