Is it possibly to use diet and exercise to become a size 6 (

Options
I dont want to do anything that is going to harm my body but I dont see why someone cant acheive a size 6 and still be healthy if they use a proper nutritional diet and exerice. Is it possible???

Replies

• mollyelliott
    mollyelliott Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i dont see why becoming a size six would affect or harm your body?! im confused.
  • snowwwhite
    snowwwhite Posts: 10
    Options
    because it requires reducing lots of calories, im currenly on 1200 which is apparenly the min for women, i dont plan on reducing this amount but i do plan on exercising more and not eating those additional calories that MFP says you can eat
  • mollyelliott
    mollyelliott Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    the more you reduce your calories, the quicker, in theory, you'll lose. But the size isnt an issue. If you do it slowly, and healthily, a size size is quite healthy for a lot of people. if you eat say, 1400 calories a day, you'll still eventually get to a size six if you tough it out long enough. do you have a lot of weight to lose? how fast are you trying to do it? do you exercise?
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    This is a confusing post because a lot of people use diet and exercise to get down to size 6 and beyond. I am size 4/6 currently, but this is around the size when you run the risk of hitting a weight loss plateau. I would not be too severe with my calories if I were you, would aim to lose 1lb per week max and stick strictly to the calories recommended, especially not dipping below. This will make it easier to reach and maintain your goal.
  • snowwwhite
    Options
    by size 6 i mean an australian size 6... currently i am a size 10 so I have 2 sizes to go, im currently about 59kg so i have about 10-12kg to lose to get to a size 6. im currenly eating around 1500 calories a day but that is due to my bf's brother cooking fattening meals everynight. over the next few days my bf and i will be moving into our own place so i can cook healthy meals to ensure i dont go over 1200. atm i do about 30-60 mins of walking a day but im going to be buying a treadmill soon :)
  • scotty_81
    scotty_81 Posts: 59
    Options
    It depends on your body. You need to keep an eye on your BMI if it drops below the minimum level and you are still not a size six then stop! http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Per one internet site, a size 6, US, is:
    Bust: 34½ -35
    Waist: 26½ -27
    Hips: 37-37½
    According to another site, UK or Australian size 6 measurements are:
    31-31.5 inch bust
    24-24.5 inch waist
    33.5-34 inch hips
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090111193006AAM4Wf6

Difference between US and Australian sizes:
    Size 2 American = Size 6 Australian
    Size 4 American = Size 8 Australian
    Size 6 American = Size 10 Australian
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071024183143AAB6ApT

I do not think you can change your bust size too much, but you can lose your waist and hips down to that measurement.
    Per another internet site, here are the best waist sizes for females per height:
    The info covers "24 inch waist for a 5'1" female" up to "28 inch waist for a 6' female"--with 26 inches being best (in their humble opinion) for a 5'5" female.
    http://www.collectivewizdom.com/NormalWaistSize.html.
    Dr Oz (heart surgeon who has a health show on from 9-10am (EST), M-F, here in the states) says a 32 inch waist is a very heart-healthy waist.
    What everyone said about losing 1 lb per week is very good advice. The steady weight loss will help you to maintain your final weight--you will have had more practice at healthy choices, over a longer period of time.
    Best of success in your plans.
  • snowwwhite
    Options
    sorry for the confusion; an australia size 6 is different from an american size 6

australian size 6 = american size 2

im currenly australian size 10 (american size 6)

I would like to be about australian size 6-8 :)
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Oh, ok I see. I suppose we are in the same boat, then, although i just want to see if the reduction in inches looks good on me. Well then my answer becomes all the more valid. Beware the plateau! And if you go too low on your calories to get past it you may significantly impair your metabolism, making it hard to keep the weight off. It is tempting to dip low on the calories to accomplish the goal more quickly, but I think it will be difficult. Best of luck.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    A 8-10 is nice. Slim. Healthy. Too small for some, but good for a vast majority.
    6 is just skinny and gross on lots of people. Why do you want to be that small?
    At your weight, that much of a caloric deficit isn't really healthy, nor will it actually result in faster weight loss As you get into a healthy BMI, or are already in it by the looks of your size and weight, your body holds onto the essential fat for as long as it possibly can, and burns lean mass instead. You'll likely be losing lean mass now, not fat. You still need some fat on your body.
    Why not eat to maintain, and just don't eat any/all of your exercise calories. Concentrate on toning muscle and getting fit.
  • Rea_K
    Rea_K Posts: 51
    Options
    Snow white, how tall are you?

I started off as a UK size 14-16 (same as Aus sizes) and now am a size 8-10. My aim is to be a size 6. I'm roughly 54kg and still have weight to lose, but I am just under 5'2, so am quite small. When I reach my goal I will be a size 6 and 48.5kg. This is a nice weight and size for my height. So I'd say yes, a size 6 is achievable, but this all depends on your height, as if you are tall then it could be an unhealthy size
  • snowwwhite
    Options
    Rea, I am about 170cm (I think??) will have to check on that soon lol..

Last yr I use to be 47kg naturally so that is my goal, I dont know what happened I turned 20 and the weigh just piled on even though I didnt change any habbits.. only thing that might be responsible is the birth control pills I take.. now im 21 and 13kg heavier!

My ideal body size is sim to Mirander Kerrs and she is healthy!

Anyways thanks for the warnings Cutmd, hopefully my intake isnt too low.. hmm
  • beMyself
    beMyself Posts: 29
    Options
  • snowwwhite
    Options
    beMyself,

im not stupid i am using the site for what it is for and the site says i should eat 1200 cals a day to reach my goal..

would you call 1200 a starvation diet?????????

i wouldnt call it a starvation diet at all considering i consume a lot of fruit in veg in that amount of cals!

im happy to up it by a few hundred if its going to help with my metab once i start exercising more!
  • SashaS
    SashaS Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Snow white, how tall are you?

I started off as a UK size 14-16 (same as Aus sizes) and now am a size 8-10. My aim is to be a size 6. I'm roughly 54kg and still have weight to lose, but I am just under 5'2, so am quite small. When I reach my goal I will be a size 6 and 48.5kg. This is a nice weight and size for my height. So I'd say yes, a size 6 is achievable, but this all depends on your height, as if you are tall then it could be an unhealthy size

I completely agree with Rea. I am just over 5'2 and my weight goal is 49 Kg. I am about 53 kg right now and started at 56kg about three weeks ago. I have not taken any diet pills or things of that nature, only good old fashioned diet and exercise. Exercise and proper nutrition should work just fine for you. I am starting to be able to go into a size 6 but still a bit snug for my taste. How tall are you???
  • beMyself
    beMyself Posts: 29
    Options
    got it.. those calories the site gives you for exercise will help you stay the same instead of losing. I would not type them in. I know people that type them in and ignor them by not eating them.

You should probably seek out people who work out a lot (even though you do not) and ask them what they do
  • SashaS
    SashaS Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Nevermind I saw, wow 170cm and 47 kg thats pretty thin. Everyone is different, and what may be a healthy weight for some might not be for others so I wont say that's too low, but I am 158cm and was always told at 46/47 kg that I was very thin (this was my weight most of my life). At that point I wasnt even wearing adult sizes (used a children's 14 sometimes 12)...
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Nevermind I saw, wow 170cm and 47 kg thats pretty thin. Everyone is different, and what may be a healthy weight for some might not be for others so I wont say that's too low, but I am 158cm and was always told at 46/47 kg that I was very thin (this was my weight most of my life). At that point I wasnt even wearing adult sizes (used a children's 14 sometimes 12)...

i agree everyones body is different but just be caeful becuase this gives you a BMI of 16.2 which is in the underweight range
  • popplylily
    popplylily Posts: 97
    Options
    A BMI of 16 gets you hospitalised in this country for anorexia!! 170? 47kg? you cant hold on to a child size body and be healthy. i dont buy it your periods will stop, hair will fall out. unless your naturally tiny, in which case i doubt youd have got to what you are now.
  • Rea_K
    Rea_K Posts: 51
    Options
    Rea, I am about 170cm (I think??) will have to check on that soon lol..

Last yr I use to be 47kg naturally so that is my goal, I dont know what happened I turned 20 and the weigh just piled on even though I didnt change any habbits.. only thing that might be responsible is the birth control pills I take.. now im 21 and 13kg heavier!

My ideal body size is sim to Mirander Kerrs and she is healthy!

Anyways thanks for the warnings Cutmd, hopefully my intake isnt too low.. hmm

Snow white, this concerns me a bit as your goal weight is less than mine, and I am very short with a naturally small frame. If you are 170cm, then your minimum weight for this height should be 50.3kg at the very least. Mirander Kerr has a lovely figure and is nice and curvy. I'm sure if you get down to 47kg you will be a lot thinner than her. If you do reach 47kg that will give you a bmi of around 16 which is very low. I don't always trust bmi as my doctor measured my frame size (measure around your wrist to see if you are small, medium or big) to define the healthy weight for you size, frame, and also waist to height ratio. Do you know what build you are? I think there are websites that tell you how to work it out. If you do have a small frame maybe 47kg wont look as bad as it seems now, but I still think it is quite low! As I say I have a small frame and when I reach my goal of 48.5 I will be pretty thin, and a size 6, and as I say I'm short (157cm)!! I may find that I don't even need to lose that much, as at the moment I am concentrating on toning. I just don't want any visible body fat, and so even though my goal is 48.5kg, I may not want to reach it in a few weeks. Please consider thinking about a body shape rather than a target weight, as if you find you lose a lot of weight and look good, if you've already set your mind on being 47kg you might lose too much weight