bulk buying produce - pros & cons. WWYD?

Options
I recently found a wholesale produce store by my main residence.

40 lb. of Bananas = $10
18 pints of blueberries = $5
30 lb. of Broccoli = $18
box of kale = $25
Box of spinach =$15
25 lb of oranges = $15
25 lb of apples = $18

and so on....

Great deal, but a huge amount considering I'm eating for one. I bought the bananas, blueberries, and spinach the other day - dehydrated 16 lb. of bananas, and gave some to a neighbour.

My question is what do you think about eating mass amounts of one food for 4-7 days? Not just that, but it being the main part of the diet for that week.
Example : buy the broccoli one week - this week MOST of my meals will contain broccoli. Next week it's green beans, etc.

I've read a bit on mono-eating. Wondering if any of you have done it, or buy in bulk and then plan your diet accordingly. It could get boring, but thats all I can see as a negative. Some foods you can go overboard on (like bananas), so I know what to watch for.

Replies

• bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    you can freeze a lot of veggies too, i might only do one bulk of fruit a week though
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Dang, wish we had prices like that. Blanch the broccoli and freeze it. What about finding friends to split it up with?
  • acceber88
    acceber88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Like the others suggested, I'd be inclined to freeze it!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Freeze what you can and split with friends, you are going to have the best smoothies for the longest time!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    you can freeze a lot of veggies too, i might only do one bulk of fruit a week though

I've gone both ways on this. I have done Bountiful Baskets which is cheap for local fruits and veggies, and then I freeze stuff. Good cost savings, but I recently stopped all that processing and just stop by the local Sprouts store a copule times a week to pick up what I need for the next few days or so. I like that a bit better.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Sounds like food service or restaurant wholesale quantities. Most will spoil before you use it unless you can get 3 or friends to go in with you.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I would see if you can get a few friends or even work to see if you can buy in bulk with others. I know one client who bought in the bananas and apples EVERY tuesday and people loved it.

I eat frozen blueberries a lot.
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'd be all over the blueberries and anything else that you can easily freeze. As said, blanch and freeze the broccoli. Same with kale and spinach. Other stuff I'm not too sure what I'd do with it all.
  • azalea617
    azalea617 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you have it planned out before you buy a lot of something. I always make sure I KNOW I'm going to use produce before it goes bad. I often have a terrible habit of buying something and then never using it, which then winds up being wasted money when I throw it out. I'm trying SO hard to not be like that anymore.

Especially since you're plant-based, you can at least make room for mass quantities of produce in your diet. My SIL is raw vegan so she goes through produce fast; she even did fruitarian/banana diet for a while. Her whole kitchen was fruit!
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Even when I went to just the farmers market I wound up tossing stuff because I couldn't eat it fast enough. :(

Now I only buy enough fresh for that night or I just buy the frozen bags of it.

Actually i'm enjoying the steam-able in a bag stuff lately.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I think I'd be doing a lot of chopping so I could freeze into smoothie-manageable chunks.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have been looking for people to split, but many around me are the processed eaters. I know too well about throwing out unused.

Prices are just too good to turn up though. Bananas - it's like buying 3-4 bunches and getting 9-10 free. I already buy about 2-3 a week.

I'll do a kijiji post for others to split :) lol
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Puree the fruit then freeze in ice cubes or silcone mini muffin pans to use for later fruit smoothies or fruit based sauces. (They take up way less space that way).

And as others have said, blanch and freeze things. If I could get those kinds of deals I would be all over them.
  • Jaramys
    Options
    May Someone please reply to me, I get 1100 of my cals through real food and 2100 cals through Meal replacers it is working, but would you say I shouldn't rely on my meal replaces it isnt dangerous is it, I do believe in science! thank you for reading this!