Heart Monitors

Options
I am looking to buy a heart monitor...I have been researching then and have kind of decided it's between a Timex and a Polar...any thoughts on this...good/bad experiences with either brand?

Replies

• wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    MY polar 7 is god mode!!!! Getting one for the GF for valentines day
  • kjanoudi
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 and love it. I got it on sale for about $85, and its worth every penny. Been using it for 2 years. It really motivates you to keep your heart rate up the whole workout, and helps in accurately calculating your workout.

If you go to a newer gym, many of the cardio machines automatically sync to the polar and will show your heart rate/calories burned on the displays.
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    Personally, I think Polar makes the most accurate heart rate monitors. I have a Polar FT4 that I bought about a year ago and I love it, although you can't hook it up to the internet. I know you can with the newer models though.
  • jwiley78
    jwiley78 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see how this thread goes. I have been searching with you and haven't came up with a good decision either. I'm looking for something that will help me more accurately calculate calories while doing things like Insanity video training but I also enjoy running (treadmill) and strength training at the gym.
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Polar over Timex for sure. Have FT60.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar Ft4 and love it! As mentioned, a downside is you can't connect it to the internet (I honestly always have my phone on me though so log my exercises right after). More accurate than machines at the gym though, the treadmill and elliptical would always overestimate between 40-60 calories, and the MFP suggested calories burned for strength exercises had underestimated.
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 and love it. I got it on sale for about $85, and its worth every penny. Been using it for 2 years. It really motivates you to keep your heart rate up the whole workout, and helps in accurately calculating your workout.

If you go to a newer gym, many of the cardio machines automatically sync to the polar and will show your heart rate/calories burned on the displays.
    This. totally agree. i haven't heard much about Timex. I highly recommend one that goes around your chest, rather than on your wrist.
  • jwiley78
    Options
    I think I'm liking the FT7 from reading reviews.

Questions:

Can you enter the data using the flowlink adapter?
    http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Flowlink/dp/B004QOW1IU/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

Also, do you recommend getting the gel?
    http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Electrode-Parker-Labs-250GM/dp/B0002CA8RQ/ref=pd_sim_sg_6

Thanks for everyone's input. It can really get confusing when trying to figure out what to purchase.
  • stephcalcott
    stephcalcott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have both. And my Polar FT7 is hands down the better of the two options. The chest strap fits better and is more comfortable, getting the monitor to synch up with the watch is easier, and the information is easier to see.

Go Polar :)
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Polar.

I have a FT1 because I only needed HR. Hubby has FT7. Both are awesome. FT7 also captures calories spent (and looks cooler too).
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think I'm liking the FT7 from reading reviews.

Questions:

Can you enter the data using the flowlink adapter?
    http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Flowlink/dp/B004QOW1IU/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

Also, do you recommend getting the gel?
    http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Electrode-Parker-Labs-250GM/dp/B0002CA8RQ/ref=pd_sim_sg_6

Thanks for everyone's input. It can really get confusing when trying to figure out what to purchase.

I don't use the gel. Just moisten the chest monitor a bit before workout with water. Works just fine.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Timex over estimates for women but be aware a HRM isn't going to be accurate for strength training.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Timex over estimates for women but be aware a HRM isn't going to be accurate for strength training.

I keep hearing this, but Polar says it can accurately track your calories over the course of a day. Why wouldn't it work for weight lifting?
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT7 about a month ago. Best purchase I have made in a very long time. It is a fantastic tool

I dont use the gel, I just moisten the strap and away I go.

I weightlift but find its not very accurate I lift very heavy and I know Im burning more than 200 calories per session also you burn calories at rest after a lifting session so you heart rate would then be quite low (resting) hence how it may be difficult to calculate your burn through the HRM
  • jwiley78
    Options
    I just ordered an FT7.
  • monacienta
    Options
    Hi,

I have the Polar FT7 and sometimes I continue to wear it after my workout. I'll stop it after the workout and reset at my resting heart rate. The numbers of calories burned continue to increase after I reach my resting heart rate. Right now I'm at 505 calories burned. I'm curious as to if that can be counted for a net effect.:smile:
  • Shyanne1369
    Shyanne1369 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So, after much review and the super appreciated feedback from everyone, the hubs and I have 2 Polar FT7's on the way for us...I really appreciate all of the input and look forward to better tracking once they arrive! :)