GOLDS GYM WORST NEW MEMBER

Options
I joined and I am just not motivated to go in there. (sigh)
It's really nice, they have lots of stuff to do..I was going to a different place doing ZUMBA
but ever since I joined I have found it hard to make it in.

It's too expensive for a trainer. How do I get motivated?:smile:

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    For me to get motivated, I simply have to grab my bag and walk out the door! Seriously that's the only way it works for me, not likely I'd turn around and come home once I tossed my swimsuit on or tossed my other gym clothes in the car.

I think sometimes we simply have to DO IT! Ppl can offer suggestions but I think real motivation comes only from within ourselves.

I see alot of threads that say 'motivate motivate me' lol Heck, I have no clue how to motivate someone on the internet other than sharing what works for me. If someone gets moving because of that, very cool!!

Just DO IT! You're going to feel so much relief once you do it once, then a few more times it'll be a habit and you'll be seriously bummed if you have to miss a class or workout routine. :tongue:

Cheers:drinker: for getting there:flowerforyou:
    Becca:heart:
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    Every time I go to the gym I always feel so great when I come out and also so glad that I went.

I motivate myself by thinking of that feeling. I also use the gym as a good form of stress relief. I always feel much less stressed and more happy with myself every time I go.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options

I think sometimes we simply have to DO IT! Ppl can offer suggestions but I think real motivation comes only from within ourselves.

I fully agree !!!

Its a great feeling to leave the gym after completing a session that you wern't going to do
  • Tubbyangel
    Tubbyangel Posts: 25
    Options
    For me to get motivated, I simply have to grab my bag and walk out the door! Seriously that's the only way it works for me, not likely I'd turn around and come home once I tossed my swimsuit on or tossed my other gym clothes in the car.

I see alot of threads that say 'motivate motivate me' lol Heck, I have no clue how to motivate someone on the internet other than sharing what works for me. If someone gets moving because of that, very cool!!

Just DO IT! You're going to feel so much relief once you do it once, then a few more times it'll be a habit and you'll be seriously bummed if you have to miss a class or workout routine.

I love this advice I have had a bad month not much exersice being done and so I gained weight, I too was guilty of the "please motivate" posts but really its a bit like saying "do it for me" . I am still struggling but I am trying. You can get inspiration from others but motivation only from yourself.
  • Tubbyangel
    Tubbyangel Posts: 25
    Options
    Yeah kinda screwed up how this adding a quote your reply works oh well...:laugh:
  • jenniferscheller
    jenniferscheller Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    For me I have to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to be able to work out. I have three toddlers and they all get up by 6:30, when that alarm clock rings sometimes i want to throw it out the window. But I end up dragging my sorry butt out of bed and going to the gym. By the time I get there I am ready to work out. I just tell myself that after the workout I will feel so energized that it will be worth it and it is.
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    I always try to think of how great I feel after I've worked out...keeps me going back 6 days a week! Plus you'll really start liking the results from all of your hard work.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I ask myself, "How bad do you want it"? If I don't go, then obviously I don't want it and I can't complain
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    Every time I go to the gym I always feel so great when I come out and also so glad that I went.

I motivate myself by thinking of that feeling. I also use the gym as a good form of stress relief. I always feel much less stressed and more happy with myself every time I go.

working out is definitely is THE best stress reliever!
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    Once you start seeing results you'll be motivated!
    You just have do a little work to get to that point.
    Make a commitment to yourself to go 4-5 days a week for 2 weeks (and of course eat properly) and after those 2 weeks you'll be impressed with the results and you'll WANT to keep going :-)
    I just bought a new tank top workout shirt and wore it for the first time yesterday at the gym and OH MAN did that feel nice!!! You'll love it too!
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    Options
    It's about making the right choice at that moment. You're sitting there and you can choose to go to the gym or you can choose to stay home. You never regret the workouts you do, only the ones you don't.

No regrets. Choose.
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Every morning I make sure I take a gym bag with me to work. I get out and I really really just want to go home and nap but I jsut force myself to drive there anyway. You feel great once you haul your butt there
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I think having a goal is very important when talking about motivation, something beyond "I want to lose xx lbs." For instance, a summer vacation where you want to wear a new bathing suit, a party where you want to wear a new dress, signing up for a charity fun run (1k, 5k, whatever). Then have a visible reminder out where you will see it every day for your goal - the swimsuit, the dress, the racing bib or form, etc. So, when you don't feel like working out (and especially at the beginning, you won't), there is something else to focus on - your goal! I have plenty of days when I just don't feel like it, but I think about my vacation or race and I KNOW I really have to go to the gym to meet that goal. 95% of the time, once I'm dressed and out the door I am ready to workout. Those times I just can't get into it, I just do a short workout - hey, it's better than nothing and I feel better about myself than if I do nothing.

Sometimes you just won't feel like working out and there is nothing that is going to motivate you to want to work out (at least I get that way sometimes). During those times the above can help, but really, sometimes you just have to do something you don't feel like doing in that moment to have something else you really want in the long run (health, weight loss, self esteem, etc.). It is a hard road and I've been off and on the exercise wagon so many times!! Good luck!
  • MyTee150
    MyTee150 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    wow, now that really hit home with me, if we really want change, we have to do something that will cause change.
    Many people want a paycheck... and even if they dont feel like going to work, they go anyway because they want to get paid.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    My motivation is pretty simple:

1 - I've seen results, I don't want to LOSE my results, and I also want to see MORE results.
    2 - I'm stuck in a 2-year contract paying $25/month. I might as well get my money's worth.
    3 - On days I work out at the gym, I pack my clothes that morning, leave it in my car and as soon as I get in after work, I see it and know where I have to be.