Do you turn off your HRM right after your workout?

Options
Or do you keep it on for stretches cause I imagine your heart rate needs a few minutes to hit the resting rate. Was just wondering this after finishing my cardio w/o and was huffing and puffing for a few minutes thereafter.

Replies

• MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Best to wait till your BPM is in the area of resting rate and definitely after stretching.
  • jellybean82
    jellybean82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I turn mine off after my cool down and stretching; I consider it part of my workout.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    and to think of all those extra calories burnt that I have missed out on!

Thank you for posting :)
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'm with everyone else. I wait until my cooldown and stretching is over. :)
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I turned it on today right before I started running and right after I stopped. I wanted to know my average speed and average HR when I'm just running. Usually though I include the warmup and cooldown.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I typically turn it off when I stop. If I stretched afterwards (I don't typically, but sometimes I do) I don't count that time. My typical workouts are running and biking. When I bike, I just go (no warm up or cool down). When I run, I walk for a bit before and after as warm up and cool down, and I do use my HRM during those times.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I turn mine off when I am done my exercise. Those few extra calories aren't a lot. I don't worry about them as most HRM do not deduct your BMR from the burn amounts it gives you so I could the "afterburn" as what my BMR would of been.
  • jjay18
    Options
    My trainer told me to keep it on for an additional two hours after my work out to get my total calories burned. Believe it or not, I burn just as many calories in those two hours as I did in my hour work out.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me to keep it on for an additional two hours after my work out to get my total calories burned. Believe it or not, I burn just as many calories in those two hours as I did in my hour work out.
    Really! That's really interesting and I'll have to try that out. Was that just cardio, just lifting, a combo of both? It was my understanding (from things I've read here on MFP) that an HRM doesn't work well for lifting.

I usually forget until I'm halfway through my my warmup, and I leave it on most of the way through my cool-down.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

I don't get the logic behind that... especially when this program is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories.

I personally would find a new trainer. A few mins after is fine.. but two hours?
  • S_Arr_Uh
    S_Arr_Uh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The point is that you're burning more calories in those two hours than in the two hours before the workout or say, on a non-exercise day (most likely) due to increased metabolism. You continue to burn calories at a relatively quick rate after you're done exercising. I tend to burn about 50 calories during a 2/3 minute stretch which is what I burn in about 5 minutes of vigorous spinning.
  • irisia99
    irisia99 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I turn mine off when the work out is over. Any additional calories burned during cool down/stretching will be extra. I like to be conservative. Also, my HRM (it's a Garmin) measures my average HR and also my pace when I'm running outdoors so I want those calculations to be about my work out and not my cool down.
  • RepsnSets
    Options
    The point is that you're burning more calories in those two hours than in the two hours before the workout or say, on a non-exercise day (most likely) due to increased metabolism. You continue to burn calories at a relatively quick rate after you're done exercising. I tend to burn about 50 calories during a 2/3 minute stretch which is what I burn in about 5 minutes of vigorous spinning.

makes sense, the HR would still be highish after working out and would take some time for it to reach its resting point. I wouldnt leave mine on for two hours after though, but thats just how I feel personally
  • Danardeener
    Options
    I turn mine off right after my workout too...I'm sure I continue to burn cals for sometime after that but that would be just an added bonus and only eat back the cal counted during my workout.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I turn mine off as soon as it drops below my target heart rate zone, which is typically just a minute or two after I stop.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    If you are working out with weights doesn't your body keep burning after a workout? So dont you think it would make sense to keep it on for a while after you are done? And dont get snippy Im just asking a question :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Unless you are really out of shape, your HR should return to resting rate a lot sooner than that so you can't measure the use of cardio after that point. Your muscles might be burning a few extra. I'm not convinced...
  • RepsnSets
    Options
    If you are working out with weights doesn't your body keep burning after a workout? So dont you think it would make sense to keep it on for a while after you are done? And dont get snippy Im just asking a question :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

HRM's are no where near accurate when lifting weight. You could be burning for up to 24 hours afterwards but the HRM wont reflect this cause you HR is really at rest.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    I shut it off as soon as i'm done with my workout,
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I would say...no, not if you're hoping to eat those calories back. What you have to remember is, whether you just finished a work out or you have been sitting on the couch all day, your body is always burning calories. So how do you separate these "after work out calories" from your regualr BMR or TDEE calories?