Too low calories? - breastfeeding and MFP help

Options
krv124
krv124 Posts: 22 Member
HI there.. I am very new to MFP. I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance. I am currently breastfeeding my 1 1/2 week old little girl and hoping to shed some pounds in the process (big mistake with #1). MFP put me at 1200 calories and I add in 500 for breastfeeding. Does this seem too low? It does not seem like a lot, but I can manage. My hubby thinks it's too low. I just don't want my milk to dry up but want to keep loosing.

Can anyone help? Thanks :flowerforyou: :

Replies

• iamamamatologan
    Options
    I have mine at 1890 calories and I almost always stay under. I would aim for 1800-2000..especially since your baby is still brand new and you shouldn't be doing anything more than gentle walks.
  • krv124
    Options
    Thank you! Is 1890 what you start at and then you take off 500 for bf?
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    Congratulations on your new baby! :flowerforyou:

I am currently breastfeeding my 3 month old and I just joined MFP in late April. In my exercise folder, I put in 141 minutes of breastfeeding (burning 400 cals) in the cardio section. It then give me those extra 400 cals for my food log. I've heard that if you're breastfeeding, you burn anywhere from 300 to 600 calories a day. Every ounce of breastmilk you make/expel burns 20 calories so if you know how much you're producing, you'll know how many cals to add to your diet. Everyone is different so this is just a rough estimate. If I feel hungry, I'll eat more as long as it's a smart choice. I've been doing great on 1600 cals per day & I'm 5' 4.5" and currently 125lbs. I hope this helps, Mama! Congrats again! Enjoy that little one:heart:
  • krv124
    Options
    Thank you Alleghany! Are you loosing with the 1600? I'm going to bump mine up now. Congrats on the weightloss! 125 is my goal!
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    I'm definitely losing w/1600! About 1 lb per week. At first, I was losing way to fast since I wasn't factoring BFing in at all but I've bumped up my cals and am losing at a more healty rate. Depending on how much you weigh and how tall you are, you may need to adjust your cals up a bit. My advice is to try a few weeks w/what you feel is right and see if it works. I'm glad you added me as your friend...I was just thinking I need to go out there and find all the new Mamas and get us together! :wink:

Oh, yeah...one more thing to add...You can also log your BF cals in your food log. You just enter "Breastfeeding" in the food search and it'll pop up. You then select the ounces (if I'm remembering correctly) and once you hit enter, it'll show up as a calorie deficit on your food log. I prefer to log mine in the exercise log, though. Either one will work. GL, Mama!

Edited to include:
    Also wanted to add that it's soooo important to eat enough cals so your metab doesn't dip and you keep burning fat instead of muscle. You probably already know this but just wanted to make sure I add it.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I just replied to your post in the Labor Day Challenge, and put in there pretty much what you're already doing, or what has been suggested in this post. I really recommend watching your supply carefully! I cut TOO much with #1, and lost my supply before I realized what was going on. Take a look at what your "Maintenance" calories are for both your goal weight and your current weight. Staying within that range (without any exercise, and not adding calories for BFing) will still guarentee a deficit, but SHOULD still be enough calories for supply.

With THAT being said, talk to your doc, the baby's doc, and LISTEN to your body! I can tell you what worked for me, and every woman on here who's gone through the same, can tell you what works for them, but that does NOT necessarily mean it will work for you. Trial and error will probably be needed even with all this great advice. Don't get discouraged. Give each change a couple weeks to really work. If it doesn't, try another idea. You'll get there!:flowerforyou:
  • krv124
    Options
    Thank you Lisa.. you are right. there is a lot to be said about listening to your body. I just need to find the right balance. Congrats on your weight loss!!!