Suddenly Starving

Options
I've been on a basic regular diet since Christmas. I recently went on a weekend trip from my home in LA to Montana. I tried to keep up my eating habits of a healthy breakfast shake, lots of protein, and lots of fiber. But for some ungodly reason, as soon as I landed back in LA, I cannot keep my stomach full. An hour after my filling meal, I'm starving to the point of nearly vomiting. I've even found the past couple nights that around three am, I wake up with severe hunger pains.

Anyone else every encounter this?

Replies

• refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but how many calories do you allow yourself to eat per day? If you are not eating enough your body might be giving you warning signs now. If you are eating a good amount of calories, then maybe you should go to the doctor and see if there is something else that is the matter.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    There are some foods that stimulate appetite more than satisfy hunger. Since your diary is closed, I can't see if that's your problem or not. Pay attention to nutrition. Proteins, whole grains, and good fats along with fruits and vegetables will usually satisfy my hunger for 2-3 hours. Something junky won't.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'm going to throw a shot in the dark that you're the female in your profile picture, haha. If that's not the case, please totally disregard what I'm about to say!

For me, for about 3-4 days right before my TOM, I've noticed that I'm STARVING. Like, eat lunch at noon and by 2:30 feel like my stomach is eating itself starving. I think prior to starting MFP I just ate and didn't notice it as much, but now that I'm so closely tracking everything I'm super aware of the fact that my normal breakfast/lunch does NOT cut it on those days by afternoon. I just plan for it, allow myself a teeny tiny bit more leeway those days and try to squeeze in a few hundred extra calories at the gym.

Could that be it?
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm going to throw a shot in the dark that you're the female in your profile picture, haha. If that's not the case, please totally disregard what I'm about to say!

For me, for about 3-4 days right before my TOM, I've noticed that I'm STARVING. Like, eat lunch at noon and by 2:30 feel like my stomach is eating itself starving. I think prior to starting MFP I just ate and didn't notice it as much, but now that I'm so closely tracking everything I'm super aware of the fact that my normal breakfast/lunch does NOT cut it on those days by afternoon. I just plan for it, allow myself a teeny tiny bit more leeway those days and try to squeeze in a few hundred extra calories at the gym.

Could that be it?

That's true for me too!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Hormones.
    Calorie Intake too low.
    Try casein protein before bed.
    Add fiber/protein and more water to your diet.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    "A basic regular diet"??

Um.

What does that even mean?
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    how much water do you drink a day? you could be mildly dehydrated. the mind interprets dehydration as hunger (as the body gets water from eating as well as drinking). try drinking an 8 oz glass of ice water and then seeing if you are still hungry half an hour later.

also, fiber and fat can help with cravings. you could also try lowering your net carbohydrates that you consume daily and see if that helps. carbs that spike your insulin levels can also cause you to feel hungry. look for "slow carbs" or foods that have a low glycemic index value if you find foods on your diet that have high glycemic index ratings.

go to google and look up "glycemic index" and there are a few websites with databases of foods and their ratings.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    "A basic regular diet"??

Um.

I got stuck on this as well.....?
  • Brianna72994
    Options

Could that be it?

Agree with this! This happens to me too. But also during TOM.
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    "A basic regular diet"??

Um.

i was thinking that she meant like a well balanced diet, hitting all food groups?

idk if i am correct
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options

Could that be it?

That's true for me too!

Thirded! It must be a hormone thing, 'cause I'm off my meds for a wee bit right now and I'm having the same issue.
  • lindz625
    lindz625 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Don't kill me for throwing this out there, but increased hunger can occur in early pregnancy. But seriously, stress, increased metabolism, TOM, boredom, or just a case of random munchies could be the culprit. I'd say grab some veggies or a piece of fruit when your hunger strikes and go from there.
  • samanthawarren
    Options

Could that be it?

Me too. I also notice that even if I give in and indulge a little it does not affect my progress at all.
  • ellejay1214
    ellejay1214 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1530 calories a day with lots of water, protein, and fiber to try and stay full.
  • ellejay1214
    Options
    I was trying to explain that I eat similar things everyday. I have a shake with EAS Lean Advantedge Vanilla powder, almond milk, kale/spinach, and banana for breakfast. Lunch is usually between 300 and 400 calories. Dinner usually takes whatever calories I have left with whole grains, veggies, and lean protein. I have a banana at 11am and almonds at 4pm. I drink 2-3 cups of herbal tea, 1-2 cups of coffee, and 64 oz of water everyday (because my body seems to think it's dehydrated all the time).
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Are you currently sleep deprived? That can cause serious hunger.
  • ellejay1214
    Options
    Actually, all these ladies are commenting that it happens around their TOM, and I really thought that was it except that I missed this month... but the pregnancy test came back negative. A little online research says that the altitude and temperature difference may have caused my body to go into survival mode as far as increased calorie needs and that sometimes quick changes in altitude may confuse your lady cycle.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Did your sugar consumption increase while you were gone? This can knock out of balance your hormones that regulate hunger.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1530 calories a day with lots of water, protein, and fiber to try and stay full.

1530 before or after exercise? If it's before exercise then you are probably hungry because you aren't eating enough.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I experience the same thing--and it's usually on my workout days. I do allow myself a sensible snack post-workout to help me get through the night but there are days when I am ravenous. It's something that I've adjusted too and it's all good---I welcome the opportunity to be truly hungry for my mealtimes. :)