One Year Later - Down 157 Lbs

Options
I wanted to introduce myself. I made the decision to live a healthier lifestyle in February 2012. I am 38 years old, married with two sons (ages 8 and 6). I have struggled with my weight my whole life. I am 6-0 in height and I weighed 405 pounds on 2/17/2012. One year later, I am currently at 247 pounds. I have focused on diet and exercise to lose weight and live healthier. I have used walking, hiking, lap swim, and lifting weights for exercise. For diet, I try to use portion control and eat lots of fruits and vegetables. My goal is 200 pounds while also building muscle. I still feel like I have a long way to go before I reach my goal but I am a lot closer than I was a year ago. I have lost 76% of my goal weight but I have lost weight before only to put it back on so I know that losing the weight is only one step. I think now, I am focused to live healthier each day. Before when I lost weight, I stopped exercising. Now, I really enjoy exercising which in turn helps me want to eat better. I usually lift weights in the mornings (alternative muscle groups on days) for 50-70 minutes and then do lap swim for 30-45 minutes. Depending on the day, I might also do walking in the afternoon. I started just walking and swimming but I added weight training in August.

Other members of my family have also struggled with their weight. My mom had bariatric surgery a few years ago. My brother is 350+ pounds and my grandather died of a heart attack (he was a heavy smoker and obese) at age 47 before I was born so I have a history of heart disease in my family. I had an annual physical in October 2012 and my blood pressure, cholesterol, and other blood work was good so I just need to continue with what I am currently doing.

Replies

• HokieMama4
    HokieMama4 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    awesome!
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation. You can be proud at what you have accomplished! Keep up the hard work.
  • jaimevondawson
    Options
    Keep up the great work! Your boys will thank you for it one day. :)
  • trushar30
    Options
    Wow!! That's almost 12 lbs/mo or 3 lbs/wk.. very impressive.
  • TheBigFish711
    Options
    Very nice! I have 130 to lose, and almost halfway there! Keep up the great work!!
  • kimjtz
    Options
    That's great, you look amazing!! Good job!!
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. Keep up to good work.
  • joslynlpribble
    Options
    Congrats on a job well done! I am so inspired by people like you who take control of their health and live. You are amazing!
  • murdie
    murdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You are on the right path and you know the potential pitfalls! You got this!
  • looopyloops
    looopyloops Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    wow thats amazing, you are truly inspiring. Was the loss really as simple as you make it sound, by eating clean and portioni control? I think we could all learn a lot from you.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Great job. Thank you for sharing. :flowerforyou:
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Good job buddy
  • katierrt
    katierrt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Great Job! I have heart disease and obesity in my family, and I'm trying to avoid what might have been my destiny. At least I'm finding out if I can change my destiny...I don't want "1 & done" in the heart attack circuit like my grandfather went through! We shall fight together, feel free to add me if you like! :)
  • Shallowmind
    Shallowmind Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Outstanding and congratulations. Keep it up.

I only want to lose 15lbs or so. I am mainly doing this as an overall life change not just to lose weight. Stories like yours helps me keep my weight and exercise in perspective. Again thanks for sharing.
  • ShenanigansOHoolihan
    Options
    Brian that's an amazing accomplishment! Congratulations :)
  • kmartinko
    Options
    That is fantastic!!! Congratulations. You are doing so well. What an inspiration you are.
  • Jodi_Hiking4Fitness
    Options
    Brian what an amazing story. Good job. That is one hell of an accomplishment in only a years time. Family history is a big factor in my losing weight as well. Mega heart issues and I don't want a short life because I choose food over happiness. Thank you for the smile and proof it can be done.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I recently added a journal entry with my top 10 weight loss tips.

Top 10 Weight Loss Tips from Brian:

1. Drink lots of water.
    I try to drink at least 64 ounces of water daily. I cut out diet soda entirely. I think I have had soda 2-3 times in the last year. Water flushes out your system. Drinking water can also help with food cravings.

2. Keep a food and exercise journal.
    Write down everything you eat – everything. For me, since I am on my computer a lot for my job, I write it down in an Excel file where I estimate the calories consumed. I just plug in the numbers. I also log my exercise with a description, time spent, and estimated calories burned. In addition, I keep a narrative journal where I have at least one post each week for self-reflection.

3. Exercise six days a week.
    Exercising is important to any weight loss program and maintaining a healthy weight. Go easy at first and then gradually push yourself harder but not too hard. I take off Sundays for a day of rest. It worked for God with the creation so why not me? Find an aerobic exercise that you like and stick with it. For me, I started with walking and then added lap swim. I then added weight training. Find what you like and keep it up. Try to work up to six days a week. Then try to fit in your schedule exercise daily. If possible, try to exercise twice a day. Walking is a great exercise even if you are very obese. Walk about those extra pounds. Swimming is also great because it is low impact.

4. Treat yourself while using portion control.
    Let’s face it – you can’t eat carrots and bananas all of the time. I tried to go cold turkey on sweets and eating out at restaurants for a month but I found that I couldn’t sustain it. I didn’t want to crash and burn so to speak. I am trying to live a healthy lifestyle that I can sustain for the rest of my life and not just a temporary crash diet. Now, I have a 110 calorie chocolate pudding most nights for dessert or something else sweet but in a very small portion. I go out for ice cream with my family maybe once a week and order a small or kid size (2-4 ounces). Before, I would eat a huge serving of ice cream and cookies each night. I also go out for the occasional pizza, Italian, Chinese, or Mexican food. I go eat to eat at a restaurant maybe once a week for dinner. I usually have a small gain that day but it gives me something to look forward to during the week. I still try to use portion control. I also try to eat like 5-6 times a day but with smaller portions like a banana for a snack. For dinner, I eat fresh vegetables first and drink water before I eat.

5. Mix in some weight training.
    I started lifting weights after about 7 months of my weight loss. I read some articles that recommended weight loss should include some weight training. At first I was a little skeptical but I did it anyway. I am now a firm believer in weight training. You can lose lots of weight but still not look or feel good. I am starting to see some muscle definition in my arms, chest, and legs. Building muscle also helps burn calories faster and with loose skin.

6. Take a photo of yourself monthly.
    I took a self photo on my first day. I hated how I looked. I was over 400 pounds. No matter how you hate it at first, take a monthly photo in the same spot with the same camera wearing the same or similar clothes. Over time, you will see a change. Look at the starting photo and tell yourself that you never want to be that person again. Create a comparison side-by-side photo after six months and then update a comparison side-by-side photo to see your progress.

7. Chart your weight loss.
    I am a big numbers guy. I record my weight each week and then log my progress using Excel. I have columns for my weight, weekly change, total lost, weekly percentage change, total percentage change, and BMI. I also take my waist and hip measurements every other week. I have a graph that has a visual of my weight loss. For me, keeping a chart has helped track my progress and keep me accountable. We are agents unto ourselves.

8. Read inspiring stories of people who have lost weight and kept it off.
    I have read lots of articles, blogs, and online discussion groups and watched videos where people have lost weight to inspire me. One of my favorites is the Joy Fit Club of normal people who have lost over 100 pounds. I also like People magazine’s half their size issue. Recently, I started reading the daily inspirational message from RIchard Simmons (it's free) on his website.

9. Watch some videos of people who are super-obese.
    I call this the “scared straight” tip and this may not be for everyone. I watched some videos of people who are 600-900 pounds on YouTube and I know that I didn’t want to get like that. Caution: some of these videos are very disturbing.

10. Get on your knees and ask God for help.
    I confess, I have cried many times in fervent prayer on my knees asking for God’s help in the last year. I know that I can’t do it alone. I need His help. In the past year, I have tried to have a constant prayer in my heart asking for His help. There is a song with the line “My body is the temple that my Father gave to me.” I want to treat my body like a temple. I continually ask for God's help.