Is it clean???

Options
This is a question for all you clean eaters out there. How do you determine if it's clean or not??? I've been trying to make the transition to eating less processed foods. if it has more than 5 ingredients ( can't pronounce it) and comes in a can/box, i haven't been eating it. this means no more cereal for breakfast. it never stayed with me very long anyway. what is your criteria tho?

Replies

• thedirtycat
    Options
    Personally I stay away from anything with high sugar and stick to fish, and any other lean meats. I like mince beef and other foods like chicken. For fats I think eggs and nuts are good. Carbs are either pasta or rice. Also brown bread and oats are great. I just feel that anything I have to cook is healthy. I used to have microwave meals but I feel like cooking some chicken or turkey with pasta feels a lot more healthy. I think what's really important is to try and just balance everything out in the day and make sure your getting enough fruit or vegetables. I don't think you can go too wrong that way.
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    There are many more clean eaters out there .. I know I am not a perfect clean eater, but I strive to work towards it..
    With that said.. shopping the perimeter of the grocery store helps you focus on clean eating. So many of the items in the middle are full of preservatives.

One other thing I have read is if the food doesn't last too long, then it is cleaner.. I.E. fresh fruits, vegetables, meat, etc. You have to eat them within a certain time frame (or freeze them) otherwise they spoil.
  • ShawnaD0616
    ShawnaD0616 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started eating as clean as I can recently, and I have gone by this: if you can't buy the ingrediant separatly in the store then it isn't clean. Which also means that you can definitly have more then 5 ingredients in something, as long as they are all clean! I know this may not ALWAYS be right, but it at least has you looking at the ingredient list and making better choices.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just started eating as clean as I can recently, and I have gone by this: if you can't buy the ingrediant separatly in the store then it isn't clean. Which also means that you can definitly have more then 5 ingredients in something, as long as they are all clean! I know this may not ALWAYS be right, but it at least has you looking at the ingredient list and making better choices.

i like this idea. it seems like it would be more sustainable.
  • KrissyKris10
    KrissyKris10 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Good idea. i never thought of it like that.