Weight training and hunger

Options
Hi everyone!

I started a weight training class about 4 weeks ago (twice per week, around an hour each time) and I've noticed that I'm STARVING on the days after class. As in, I've never been this hungry in my life, even when I used to hike miles per day in really mountainous terrain. I eat a good, balanced meal and an hour later it's like I never ate. Is this normal? I've never weight trained before and I love it and would like to keep doing it but this is crazy!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Try adding in a lower cal protein shake or a glass of chocolate milk after a workout and see if that helps. Bananas w/ peanut butter are another good choice.
  • Nickiii_123
    Nickiii_123 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Belated thanks :) I will try to do that. It just caught me by surprise. But I'll take it as a sign that I'm doing something right.
  • adambatley1
    Options
    The hunger is a good sign, it means your metabolism has been ramped up. But yeah as above says, bang some protein in post work out and you should be fine.
  • Nickiii_123
    Nickiii_123 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've started doing that. Thanks! :)
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Completely normal. I always boost my protein and calories slightly to offset the intesity of my hunger. I just started walking w/o crutches this week after surgery and today I was RAVENOUS. At first I could not figure out why, then I remembered, OHHHHHHHHH yeah, I kicked my muscles butts! So, today I did go over my calorie goal by 237, but by tomorrow I will be back to normal. :) Good luck. Protein drinks, bars, or I prefer Greek Yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit (especially berries) are good protein snacks to fill the void.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Im usually hungry after a workout dunno how some people lose their appetite after working out cause Im ravenous.

On occasion I am so very hungry I could eat a horse. so I bump up the protein instead of reaching for food I shouldnt be reaching for. I usually go way over my limit in chicken but Im not all that bothered. Rather swallow two chicken breasts than rip into the snack box here at work.....