Tired of Turbo Jam

Options
The last few times I tried losing weight, I did TJ. I loved it but I am looking for something new. I have heard of slim in 6, p90x, etc. Any others that are good? I'm pretty much a beginner.. really out of shape! So nothing too strenuous. And it has to be workouts I can do inside my home. I'm not home during the day, so I don't trust walking outdoors at night. And I can't really afford a gym membership.

Replies

• cullensbrunette
    Options
    I havent done P90X but Slim In 6 is great! I would def. recommend it. What about Tae Bo? Or walk at home dvds? They are really good too.
  • erinmargaret76
    erinmargaret76 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i absolutely love slim in 6!!!!!!! im doing slim series right now. its the next level after u finish slim in 6. prevention dvd's are also good & i have some cathe dvd's also. but if youre a beginner id start with slim in 6. it will still give u a great workout!!!!
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Do you have Fitness on your cable box? I did Jilllians 24 min workout. and OMG I thought I was going to die the next day, Mind you i do the eliptical at least 4 days a week, zumba and yoga... (have a lot to loose) and My whole body worked out in a short amount of time. IF you can't get it for free.. I would Highly reccomend purchasing her dvd's... Thats next on my list :)
  • crking
    crking Posts: 175
    Options
    Chalean Extreme!
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You can pick up Biggest Loser or Jillian Michaels DVD's at Walmart for $9. If you are really out of shape I wouldn't recommend making a big investment in something like P90X (which also requires purchasing equipment) which is pretty pricey. Save the expencive videos and equipment for when you've proven to yourself that you are commited to fitness and have started to get into better shape.

Jillian Michaels 30 day shread is a popular video discussed on threads that a lot of people are seeing results from. You can beat the $9 price tag.
  • spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'd go for Slim in 6, Power 90, Yoga Booty Ballet or even Shaun T Rockin Body if you like more of a dancy workout. I think Chalene Extreme or P90X would be the next step from there but they might be too much if you want to ease yourself into a program again.

I've done the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs and those are surprisingly great workouts and you can easily add hand weights for some sculpting. And with those, once you learn the steps you can mute the volume and use your own music and groove a bit as you walk. I did more of the 4 and 5 mile walks and have little experience with the earlier portion of the series.

Tae Bo is also fun and I think the original set is one of the best workouts out there. Or you could go really old school and try some Sweatin to the Oldies!! Zumba is also fun. I've never done that to the videos but attended some free classes in my area.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Slim in 6 they say is good....but coming from turbo Jam it is boring as hell....you will get tired of that in no time...I could only do it for one week....it was too boring

P90X is weight training on 3 days and then cardio 2 days and yogo on one day...and rest sunday if you want or you can do the stretch I beleive it was......It is a good work out....not boring...Tony talks so much its hard to get bored....its not the same party flavor as turbo jam....but its a good workout

Then there is Insanity by Shaun T its vigorous and even though you are a beginner you can do it but at your own pace...you are guarnateed a workout with that one

I havent done 30 day shred but everyone says its good...cant confirm

My aunt loves Taebo....I tried it several times...but couldnt never get the feel for it.....but my aunt got awesome results from doing Tae bo

Also you can try Zumba...it has the party feel like Turbo Jam I plan to try that one next

Goodluck
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    P90X is great. In fact, I'm doing my third round right now. BUT I have gotten my absolute best results from Slim in 6 and Slim Series. SI6 is quite monotonous, I'll give you that, but if you stick with the six weeks faithfully and are good with your food, it is a great way to kick start some fat loss AND get some amazingly strong legs. After that, I totally recommend moving to Slim Series, because you get a variety of workouts and can customize your workout program based on what your goals are. I got to my goal weight, which is why I'm mixing it up and doing P90X again, but once my 90 days are up, I plan to go back to Slim Series and drop my last 5 or so pounds. I could see myself alternating between that and P90X for a very long time for maintenance.
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Hi There,
    I love TJ and spent a lot of time doing it but after a while it was time for something different for a while. Wasn't up for the 1 hour to 1.5 hour daily commitment (or the price tag right now) so i invested in P90 - 35-45 minute work out - sculpt and cardio + ab ripper, and a fat burner work out. I love them and they go by fast . And they have a beginner level and an advanced level. Only on day 5 of the program but so far so good. I tried the slim in 6 but really a yawn after Chalene :) heard the results are good though on that one.
    my zumba dvds are on the way so I plan to add that in too~ i like the dance party feel - looks like fun!!

Good luck on your journey,

Janet:heart: