What is a good substitute for mayo?

Options
So I'm a big mayo lover - before I joined MFP I would get extra mayo on sandwiches...obviously I'm trying to cut that habit :). But what is a healthier sauce I can use on sandwiches and wraps, something yummy! i don't really like mustard, and I like things that are flavorful.

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I use greek yoghurt mixed with different things like garlic, mustard, etc.
  • jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    laughing cow cheese wedges
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Oh mixing greek yogurt with garlic sounds good!
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ojai lemonaise light
  • kellie1055
    kellie1055 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just cant give mayo up so I use Kraft mayo made with olive oil...only 45 calories a tablespoon and I use about half of that for a sandwhich.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    In the UK we get extra light mayo which isn't too bad on calories.

Also consider 'light' salad dressings.
  • fancycupcake
    fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a low calorie mayo in my fridge right now - I can't remember the name of it exactly, but I think it's Hellman's. It tastes great and only has like 15 calories for 2 tbsp, which I find is too much on a sandwich!!

When I get home I'll try to remember to look, come back, and let you know :D

If you love mayo, no reason to cut it out completely - just look for a "healthier" version!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    hummus is a good substitute

but mayo is mayo IMO. you can always make your own with eggs and olive oil oil and herbs and spices. it's significantly less calories that way
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I like the yogurt idea! I want to try that. I just use regular real may made with olive oil. But I very rarely use it.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt or light sour cream
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I love using laughing cow cheese, or even hellman's light "mayonesa" its got lime in it and waaay less or calories....but for a lot of sandwhiches and stuff i use the laughing cow cheese....really good and low cals!!!!
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    hummus or guacamole... depending on your ingredients.
    Thats what I usually use.
    or I use 1/2 - 1 serving of soft, flavored goat cheese
  • BoatReadyBody
    Options
    I squish and spread avocados on everything..
  • beautyisnotashape
    beautyisnotashape Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I always use hummus in my wraps and sandwiches. Or Laughing Cow, which is great especially since it comes in different flavors.
    Avacado is another tasty alternative -- which I unfortanately happen to be allergic too. :sad:
    And greek yogurt can be mixed with lots of things :)
    (When all else fails, I use a serving size of light mayo. It isn't a big deal."
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Avocado! Not low in calories but its got more bang for its buck and tastes delicious!
  • TahoeSki
    TahoeSki Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Kraft Chipolte sandwich spread/mayo is very tasty and only 35 calories per tablespoon.
  • beautyisnotashape
    beautyisnotashape Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Avocado! Not low in calories but its got more bang for its buck and tastes delicious!
    Plus, they're nutrient rich and not empty calories, either. Avacados are great for you. :)
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Adding avocado to my tuna is something I have done recently that was a pleasant surprise! Aside from that, I use the Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil...I was a little resistant at first because I love the taste of real mayo, but I got used to it.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big mayo fan and basically only use it with tuna, but I substituted it with Kraft Sandwich Spread the other day and it was pretty good. Gives a creamy texture, only has I think 35 calories/tablespoon. It is pretty high in sodium, though.

On its own it kinda tastes maybe like Thousand Island dressing? Sorta.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I use hummus dip on my sammies instead of mayo all the time. But when I gotta have the real thing I just have a half serving.