Calories from Exercising?

Options
Just a question - do people use up the calories that you earn from exercising or do they just try and stay within their basic calorie limit? I do find when I exercise that I get more hungry so sometimes I end up eating the calories I earn! Any thoughts are appreciated!!

Replies

• babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    eat them allllll back.
    the less calories you eat, the lower your metabolism.
    the less calories you eat, the higher likeliness of muscle loss.
    muscle loss results in a higher body fat percentage.
    plus more food equals more energy? win?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    ^This.

And food tastes nice. Who's complaining?
  • mwcp58
    mwcp58 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    definitely need to eat the calories back, fitness pal calculated 1200 calories for me, that is not much food, I would starve if I did not eat back what I exercised. I work out about four times a week at the gym, 30 minutes of cardio followed by weights, I don't always add the weights because I have a workout journal which is a lot to keep track of when working all day, I make sure I add the cardio, then if I go over a bit on what I eat I know the weight training allowed for this. As long as you eat clean, no worries. I always eat a protein, complex carb and healthy fat every meal. If you stay away from the simple sugars, the weight will fall off. Its ok to have a treat once in awhile. I find I don't even want the treats as feel so good when you eat healthy!!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Eat them back ...or most of them. Its better for you. Its how MFP was designed...and I never tinker with something that works.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I dont eat back the calories that MFP calculates because MFP is VERY generous with estimates. I do eat back all calories from my HRM though.
  • originalkazila
    Options
    I eat them back, actually I love exercising more now because it means I get to have bigger meals! It works for me. Satisfied in hunger and in exercise.
  • BeyondThePixels
    BeyondThePixels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I personally *try* to eat at least 85-90% healthy calories. Lately, I've gone way over and exercise with about 50 to spare. :-s
  • christinaduncanarsenault
    Options
    I find if I work out before lunch or super works the best!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    You should try to eat most of them back. If you eat 1300 calories and then workout and burn 300 your body is actually only getting 1000.
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am confused. I thought to lose weight you need to burn more calories. So if you eat all those calories back, then what was the point of burning them off?
  • courtneywiens
    courtneywiens Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all of them back usually, but sometimes I do. I think it's a good buffer zone, so if you go over one day, you will even out or come out on top in the end. Sometimes I do eat them, sometimes I don't, I let hunger be my guide. I think our bodies adapt quickly and it's not like you'll enter starvation mode after a day or two of not eating your minimum calories. I also don't think you should eat when you're not hungry just to fill your calorie quota. Save the calories for when you really want them and you'll enjoy them more and not feel guilty.
  • jackiep2439
    jackiep2439 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Im with you, confused!
  • rachelabdy
    rachelabdy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This topic comes up so often and I don't think I've decided where I stand on it - seems good sensible points on either side of the fence.
    I personally eat back some but not all - I'll eat if I'm hungry.
    For me - I think I'm working out (after 2 weeks on MFP so far) that my body does fine if I workout for about 30 min spaced out over the week (approx 3 times) and I feel great and not hungry and have exercise cals to spare.
    HOWEVER, last week I worked out 3 days in a row and didn't eat back much of my cals - well day 4 I felt like crap and really run down.
    So lesson for me is I think it depends on how often and when I workout and if I plan on working out for a few days in a row - I need to be more intentional about eating the cals back, but if I keep with working out spread out over the week and I feel alert, awake and not hungry - I'm okay with only eating back a few cals.
  • angelsb0nes
    angelsb0nes Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Everyone keeps saying to eat back exercise calories, but most of the time I find it hard just to get in my regular amount. I've been losing weight anyways so does it really matter? I can't eat if I'm not hungry anyways.
  • Timehope
    Timehope Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Been at this a long time... I don't think intentionally "eating back" your exercise calories makes any sense.
    --
    Yes, exercise makes you hungrier and most likely as a result you should eat more. But as always you should be alert to that sense when you have had just enough. Obviously not full or stuffed or like you won't be hungry again for 12 hours -- you will never lose weight that way. If you have been watching calories WITHOUT exercising you surely have already learned the "just enough" sensation. Exercise simply moves it ahead a bit but the principle still applies. Eat just enough and quit at that moment. Your body will tell you if you listen to it.
    --
    But don't fill in your MFP food and exercise logs and then say, 'Oh good. Because I exercised I can now eat 300 more calories even though I have already hit my 'just enough' point." That would be foolish, IMHO.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE and BMR shtuff. So I dont eat it back because I build it in. The only time I "eat back" is if my Net calorie intake is lower than my BMR.