Hips and upper thigh grit removal

I need workout and/or food ideas!!

I am looking for great workouts that are not intensive on the knees to firm up my hips and upper back thighs down. I can't do a ton of weight training and squats/lunges right now as my knee is still recovering from a minor injury. I have a condition called runners knee, but it only crops up during intensive bouts of squats/lunges and weight training, but I can still run like a badass. It confuses the doctors that my MRI looks fine and that I can run fine, but can't do lunges/squats, ect.

Anyways, now that you have some back story... I a have chunk of obvious cellulite on both areas that are absolutely stubborn. I can run 6 miles, I do treadmill interval training, I road bike and stationary bike, and elliptical. I am out of ideas and I cannot get this crap off. I eat healthy, though I do allow myself two days for sugary treats (in moderation and this is new as of a few weeks ago-tried to go cold turkey and I fell off the wagon). Just trying to figure out what kind of work outs I can do to get this crap off (I'm 10 pounds from goal) in additional to my normal routine. Maybe I'd even be willing to tweak my diet... but please know, I can't afford all the super healthy stuff on my huge teacher's budget that is attempting to pay for a house and student loans.

THANKS!

Replies

• MomiTia
    MomiTia Posts: 94 Member
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=7Q7L673i8OY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=7Q7L673i8OY

I have a problem on n off with knees, this is usually ok though n leaves me feeling extremely sore in butt n thighs
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I was just reading an article in the New York Times about a fancy trainer in NYC who works with models who need to get ready for the runway. They need to trim down and they need to trim down fast.
    And you know what he has them do?
    Jump rope.
    Then, they jump rope some more.
    He said he doesn't have them do a lot of other things because they do not want to develop definition. But, mainly, he has them jump rope because nothing else burns calories like it.
    The guy is well paid. He is probably right.
  • MomiTia
    MomiTia Posts: 94 Member
    I was just reading an article in the New York Times about a fancy trainer in NYC who works with models who need to get ready for the runway. They need to trim down and they need to trim down fast.
    Jump rope.
    He said he doesn't have them do a lot of other things because they do not want to develop definition. But, mainly, he has them jump rope because nothing else burns calories like it.

Jumping is intense on the knees :) extremely intense
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    She said she can run. She just cannot do squats and lunges -- I presume she means 'with weights.'
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    barre. Bar Method is good.
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Thanks guys! I haven't thought of jumping rope and am actually surprised I never thought of it... I'll try it and make sure I use my knee brace just to make sure I don't hurt myself (I wear it when I run too, just to add support). I'll check out all the other things! Maybe they'd be nice workouts to do on my non-running days.
  • I have the same problem.

Swimming is a really good all-over muscle building activity.

If you're doing squats correctly, they shouldn't affect your knee that much.

Step ups are a good substitute for lunges. Donkey kicks (on all fours, stretch your leg out and up behind you) are really good.
  • crystalfisher89
    I work with a trainer, so I am doing my squats correctly and currently I can't do any high step ups because of the pressure. The doctor says the cartilage in my left knee doesn't like to stay in place so I have to use a brace for knee intensive things. I seems to be helping a lot.
  • crystalfisher89
    I will try the donkey kicks though for sure! Thanks!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    I need workout and/or food ideas!!

I am looking for great workouts that are not intensive on the knees to firm up my hips and upper back thighs down. I can't do a ton of weight training and squats/lunges right now as my knee is still recovering from a minor injury. I have a condition called runners knee, but it only crops up during intensive bouts of squats/lunges and weight training, but I can still run like a badass. It confuses the doctors that my MRI looks fine and that I can run fine, but can't do lunges/squats, ect.

Anyways, now that you have some back story... I a have chunk of obvious cellulite on both areas that are absolutely stubborn. I can run 6 miles, I do treadmill interval training, I road bike and stationary bike, and elliptical. I am out of ideas and I cannot get this crap off. I eat healthy, though I do allow myself two days for sugary treats (in moderation and this is new as of a few weeks ago-tried to go cold turkey and I fell off the wagon). Just trying to figure out what kind of work outs I can do to get this crap off (I'm 10 pounds from goal) in additional to my normal routine. Maybe I'd even be willing to tweak my diet... but please know, I can't afford all the super healthy stuff on my huge teacher's budget that is attempting to pay for a house and student loans.

THANKS!

Why not do pool exercise one or more days per week? I have very bad knees (arthritis) and I do pool exercise two days a week. Gives a great burn and is FANTASTIC for improving joint mobility and reducing inflammation, swelling, etc. My doc can't believe how much my range of motion has increased. He figured I was a candidate for knee replacements. He wanted me to take off some weight in preparation for surgery so I started with dieting and pool exercise. Now it looks like I won't have to (have surgery that is, I still want to take off some more weight.!) Most public pools have a variety of classes that are graduated from "joint mobility" to Aquacize to Aqua Zumba to "boot camp" style classes (I've watched and it looks brutal). :smile:
  • SanteMulberry
    Jump rope.

Jumping is intense on the knees :) extremely intense

I've heard that jumping on a trampoline puts less stress on weight-bearing joints. Can anyone verify this?
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Can't direct you to a study, but it makes sense, similar to how running on sand or soft dirt is a lot lower impact on joints than running on concrete.

ETA: One episode of AFV will show you that tramps are not the safest things in the world, especially for bigger people, unless you are at the gym with mats and such.
  • SanteMulberry
    Can't direct you to a study, but it makes sense, similar to how running on sand or soft dirt is a lot lower impact on joints than running on concrete.

ETA: One episode of AFV will show you that tramps are not the safest things in the world, especially for bigger people, unless you are at the gym with mats and such.

Thanks! I was thinking more of the small trampolines that have a handle on them. I'm reluctant to buy one unless I know that it is safe for my knees.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    don't think there's much can be done about the cellulite except avoiding salt. but my dodgy knee is actually better since starting squats and lunges. try omega 3 suppliments and blueberries for the knee.
  • crystalfisher89
    I would love to go a pool, but the nearest gym with a pool is 30 miles away and cost $30 a month to go to so I'm out of luck as I don't have that kind of time or money. I am dodgy about trampolines as I have never had much luck with them : / Thanks guys! I am going to an orthopaedic this week though to have it looked at. It seems to be getting better as I have not been doing squats or lunges and my running as been primarily 4 miles or less in a gym session and have instead started focusing on core workouts. For lent I'm cutting out all dessert items and chocolate for lent- not really for religious reasons obviously, but I'll see how that goes.

Also, tried the jump rope- holy hell! It burns, but a good burn!
  • I don't know if you can find the video any more, but it was called Calinetics. This women does anerobic exercises and there are great ones for your hips, thighs and butt. The best thing is they are very gentle but man do you feel them working. Luckily I have an old copy. It works!!!