Vitamin advice?

Options
I am a very over weight male, about 5' 8" weighing 320. I am trying to figure out what would be a good multivitamin for me as well as what other supplements might be beneficial to my overall health and weight loss.

Could also use some friends since I am new here, so if you get the urge, feel free to add me.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I swear by Animal Pak, but a lot of people can't stand the fact that it's 11 pills, and some of them are huge. This is largely due to the fact that the pills aren't compressed, and are intended to break down easily in the stomach.
  • LemonMint6
    Options
    I can't handle "big" vitamins. I take a gummy multi-vitamin from vitafusion, fish oil caplet, and mix a couple servings of fiber into water in the morning. I drink almond milk to get calcium... Since starting the gummy vitamin last summer I haven't gotten sick once. HTH :)
  • DaSavedSinner
    DaSavedSinner Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    One Big thing about me is I highly prefer Flax seed oil over fish oil, and Hemp seed oil over both.
  • robertbixler3
    Options
    What are the big differences between flax seed oil and fish oil, and the hemp seed oil over them both?
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi! the omega in flaxseed oil is different from fish oil omega because its not absorbed by our body as well.

However, flax is a great alternative for vegetarians.

EDIT: I feel like I should add that just because you take fish oil doesn't mean you should cut out flax, it has other benefits :P
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Most of the vitamins taken through supplements are simply excreted before they are absorbed. Get a good multivitamin such as one a day for men, just to fill in the "gaps" so to speak and focus on eating healthy everyday
  • stacifahlsing
    stacifahlsing Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am huge Shaklee vitamins fan! They just started a weight loss plan called Shaklee 180. I just use the traditional vitamins and not the weight loss stuff. But I am 41 and have used the vitamins since I was 4! I LOVE THEM! The Today Show did a spot on multivitamins and Shaklee's was the only one to dissolve in 10 minutes comparing them to 5 other nationally known brands. They said if it doesn't dissolve, it is a waste of money. They have a 30 day money back trial too. If you are interested, go check them out at www.Shaklee.com.
  • shadow36
    shadow36 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey! Any men's vitamin is good! Good luck on your weight loss, there are alot of vitamins for weight loss out there, do some research on the side effects and interactions with meds before you choose. Just remember everything dosent work for everyone! I take CLA, L-Carnitine, chromium, a multivitamin, Vit D and E, B-12. There's a story behind all of them. Good luck again!:smile:
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Well, it is a pretty big forest out there. For what its worth, here is one recommendation (not necessarily mine):

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/top-10-supplements-men

Here is a pretty well reviewed multivitamin:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015R3AAO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

As always, you should temper any "advice" with consult from your physician. You may have a personal medical history to consider.

I'll send a friend request.
  • nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    STAY AWAY FROM PILLS AND CAPSULES AND GET A LIQUID MULTIVITAMIN.

Your body absorbs liquid vitamins better than its pill counterparts do. In fact, the body absorbs approximately 98 percent of the vitamins and minerals contained in liquid form. However, the body only absorbs anywhere from 3 to 20 percent of the vitamins in a vitamin pill. Moreover, liquid vitamins bypass digestive processing and go directly into the bloodstream within minutes.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/353383-are-liquid-vitamins-absorbed-any-better-than-pill-vitamins/#ixzz2KpsJYiQ0
  • GloMash710
    GloMash710 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Google Dr. Weil vitamin advisor. It will recommend a lot of vitamins for you based on your current physical state and family medical history. I found it to be very informative.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    One-A-Day Men's 50+
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am a very over weight male, about 5' 8" weighing 320. I am trying to figure out what would be a good multivitamin for me as well as what other supplements might be beneficial to my overall health and weight loss.

Could also use some friends since I am new here, so if you get the urge, feel free to add me.

First thing they tell a person who is diabetic is take a Multi. So seems like it would be good for all of us. We use Puritans pride.com. good quality and good prices. I take multi, calcium, Vit d3, bilberry, and biotin. I don't take vitamins to lose weight I take them to supplement what I est. You lose weight by eat less. Move more.