Tapout rountine burned calorie values and the Egyptians

Options
MFP wants me to enter my exercises so I can track calories burned. I'd love to do that, but the data base has never heard of a Downward Dog, or a Warrior One, or a Marching Jack, or all of the other routines in the Tapout program (day 15). I'm sweating my *kitten* off , panting like a derelict racehorse, and am sore the next day so logic tells me I'm achieving some degree of success goal wise. How can I accurately determine burned calories and plug in the numbers so MFP will think I am awesome? Anybody else doing Tapout? Is anyone utilizing the MFP exercise algorithm?

I fairly new to MFP and semi-middle age (60) and still trying to wrap my head around all the acronyms relevant to a successful weight loss muscle building regimen. I need to lose 30 more pounds; I've already murdered 8 of the little darlings. I figure if the Egyptians could build the pyramid of Giza, I can lose 30 crappy pounds. Suggestions and comments welcome. Thanks in advance. PS- I wear a Def Leppard tee shirt when I work out....

Replies

• mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Have you considered getting a heart rate monitor?
    It can track more accurately the calories you are burning, and then you just enter the stats from there :)
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Downward dog, warrior one would be (in my humble opinion) classified as yoga.

It is tough to gauge exactly how many calories you burn if you don't have a heart rate monitor, because everyone burns a diff amount of them.... heck in a year I went from burning 390 calories doing Insanity Speed and Agility to only about 215!! I was told it is because I 'am in better shape now, so my heart isn't working near as hard to get through the workout, but my metabolism is much higher now, which leads to a higher burn throughout the day' I do not know if that is accurate, but makes sense to me.

Basically my advice would be to not sweat the small stuff (haha) and log it all, to keep track, but don't get too wrapped up in the logging your workouts. MFP can overestimate or underestimate your calories burned dramatically. I now wear a HRM for all my hard workouts, so that I know closer to what I burned, and when I do, say an hour long walk, I log the walk in the MFP database, but then I alter the calories to a little more than half of what the site 'gave' me, I figure I would rather underestimate calories burned, than be sitting around in a year like 'How the hell have I gained 10 lbs?!?!? I have been tracking EVERYTHING!!!'

8 LBS down already is great...just keep doing what your doing!!
  • obsidiandream
    Options
    Yeah, I'm getting a Polar FT4. Can you manually enter the calories without a specific exercise? Thanks!
  • obsidiandream
    Options
    Yes. Thanks for your reply.