Getting away from proccesed foods.... HELP!

Options
I bought some cottage cheese and pinapple to make a spread to put on 100% whole grain bread thins(toasted). Im going to have that for breakfast.

Another breakfast idea i have is alittle peanut butter on my 100% whole grain toast with apple slices on it.

For lunch im making egg salad. Also have lettece for salad for lunch and such.

Snacks i have bananas, apples, celery.

Hopefully this all will be more satisifing and keep me fuller then alittle packet of oatmeal.

What do you think of this for a start? Any suggestions for easy healthy food would be appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• metzlerjn
    metzlerjn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    brown rice and whole grain pastas. you can mix with olive oil and herbs and tomatoes and cheese. i love beans, they are great mixed with brown rice.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned oatmeal, with some chopped walnuts, sliced banana, milk, cinnamon, and some maple syrup.

Instead of the packaged quick cook oats (nasty gluey stuff).
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Potatoes. Butter.

Make your own omelette and hash brown. :)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i like to get a canister of the quick oats, and from there mix in different fruits, protein powders, pb, maple syrup etc. it's a good filling breakfast.

eggsalad with avocado, yum! (i like to use greek yogurt instead of mayo)

you can make your own soups with some veg broth, add in your own veggies, chicken, noodles etc and even freeze leftovers.

cottage cheese is awesome, i love to eat it with a little salt and pepper or use it in place of a salad dressing, or mixed with fresh fruit

spaghetti squash with a homemade roasted red pepper sauce i make (or tomato sauce)

eggplant sauteed with other veggies and a protein

greek yogurt with honey

tortilla with homemade tomato sauce, cheese and veggies made into a quesadilla

pita bread pizzas

salad with lots of veggies, a protein like chickpeas or chicken, you can make a salad dressing with plain greek yogurt and spices, and a little almond milk to make it more of a dressing instead of a dip

breakfast cookies, mix an over ripe banana with oats, form into balls and bake for 15 minutes

breakfast burrito with scrambled eggs or tofu, homemade salsa, plain greek yogurt, spinach, peppers, onions

quinoa with veggies tomato sauce and some cheese

black beans mixed with veggies and some homemade salsa to top

my diary is private but if you add me you can take a peek. i eat like crap some days as far as canned foods or whatever but i make most of of my meals. ignore the random chefboyardee mac and cheese lol those are in a hurry lunches
  • Progman
    Progman Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try some dried fruit ( figs, apricots, dates, raisins and cranberries )
    Almonds
    Walnuts
    Thin multigrain bagels with hummus ( one of my favorites )

I eat all of these on a regular basis.....good stuff and will make you feel full

Drink a lot of water too.
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Gonna follow this thread - I need ideas too!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    It is a start. Are you a vegetarian? If not, try adding lean meats and fish into the mix. I will cook up some chicken breast and tuna on Sunday and have that with my fruit as a snack to add the protein. if you are, I'm partial to beans and quinoa as well. I don't have time to make many meals during the week so I pre-cook most of my meals on the weekend or plan simple salads and meals that can be put together in a few minutes.

My diary is open if you want some ideas.

ETA: Last week was not a typical week for me....I'm back at my normal habits this week so if you do look at the diary, just skim past last week :wink:
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Bumping for any good ideas posted
  • following this thread too!
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I bought some cottage cheese and pinapple to make a spread to put on 100% whole grain bread thins(toasted). Im going to have that for breakfast.

Another breakfast idea i have is alittle peanut butter on my 100% whole grain toast with apple slices on it.

Hopefully this all will be more satisifing and keep me fuller then alittle packet of oatmeal.

What do you think of this for a start? Any suggestions for easy healthy food would be appreciated. Thank you!

100% whole grain bread is processed... unless of course you have a bread tree in your back yard...
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I take 2 cups salad mix, cook up 1/2 lbs of fresh asparagus with 3 or 4 slices of bacon, put it on the lettuce and add 3 tbsp of sliced almond and 2 tbsp of cranberries. It's rather yummy.
  • hollyrenee1990
    hollyrenee1990 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

100% whole grain bread is processed... unless of course you have a bread tree in your back yard...

im talking about lean pockets, smart ones frozen meals, progresso soups.

i did not say i was cutting everything processed out. Im talking about the things above.
  • cjacole
    cjacole Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I need ideas too. My whole diary is processed foods.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options

im talking about lean pockets, smart ones frozen meals, progresso soups.

i did not say i was cutting everything processed out. Im talking about the things above.

Processed is processed...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Good items there. I like making smoothies with fruit, veggies, and either greek yogurt or cottage cheese. I have that for breakfast all the time.

Tilapia fish or of course grilled chicken in smaller portions are both good for protiein and cal count.
  • pink_ribbon_1
    pink_ribbon_1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Two simple lunches:

1. Grill (or bake) your own boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Keep them in the fridge for easy morning prep. Slice them on the bias - thin. Roll the slices in a few lettuce leaves with a little low-fat cheese or mustard. Tasty and easy.

2. Boil shrimp. Keep them in the fridge for easy morning prep. Eat with a little cocktail sauce.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love to make big pots of soups with veggies and beans and then freeze them in portions. When you don’t have a lot of time and are looking for a quick freezer meal, there it is! You made it, it is unprocessed, and a whole heck of a lot cheaper. Just watch the portions for weight loss.

My dinners are usually some sort of stir-fry (I am vegetarian) and my snacks are fruits and vegetables. I still eat some processed foods though, like almond milk, chocolate, crackers, etc. I am not going to give it up completely. Just try to make my ratio 80/20.

Look at my diary for some tips! Oh, and make smoothies in bulk for a quick meal too.