was it the carbs? this whole time?

Options
dweebner
dweebner Posts: 4 Member
72 hours in so far.

the first day i put my food into my calendar, i noticed that i was almost bang on each category except carbs, my carbs are way out of control (over roughtly 46 carbs). if every other aspect is bang on to lose 1lb/ then could the carbs have been preventing me from losing any weight?

Replies

• LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Nope!

Were you expecting to lose a lb in 72 hours?
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm an anti-carber. Well, the wrong carbs. It depends on what your sources of those carbs are. Refined flours with no fiber or nutrients?

Everyone's body is different and utilizes things slightly differently, but I know for me, if I have too many carbs (whole grains, natural, or white refined) I don't perform as well. I end up lethargic, bloaty, and just generally ick. For me, I've found a higher protein diet (not as bad as Atkins, maybe South Beachy, but not so low fat either) I do fantastic.

Simply put, I'd blame the carbs. ;)
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You should have a minimum of 100g of carbs daily. Fast carbs are whole wheat items, potatoes, rice, and other grains and some vegetables. Slow carbs are green leafy veggies and other type of vegetables.:flowerforyou:
  • dweebner
    dweebner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Nope!

Were you expecting to lose a lb in 72 hours?

Absolutely not! I'm just saying that's how I've been eating for years, and stayed the same weight.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Gotcha :) Then yea, I'd say it might be the carbs for sure.
  • neesey
    neesey Posts: 8
    Options
    You should have a minimum of 100g of carbs daily. Fast carbs are whole wheat items, potatoes, rice, and other grains and some vegetables. Slow carbs are green leafy veggies and other type of vegetables.:flowerforyou:

I have read a little about this idea of fast and slow carbs, but not much. I believe I saw it on myfoodlovers.com diet. Is this how you are familiar with them? Should we be eating equal amounts of both fast and slow carbs? Just curious.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options

I have read a little about this idea of fast and slow carbs, but not much. I believe I saw it on myfoodlovers.com diet. Is this how you are familiar with them? Should we be eating equal amounts of both fast and slow carbs? Just curious.

I've seen that in relation to the Metabolism diet as well. I think it's just a general thing about how your body uses them/has access to the sugars. The fast carbs are pretty much just carbs (if you look at the list they're all the sugar storage organ for the plant), where the slow carbs are other things than just sugars. The fast carbs are easy access and easy storage in the body.

I think the proportion of what you need to eat really does vary from person to person. The catch all of what to eat I think is a big reason why so many people have issues with dietary guidelines (and why I had explained what carbs to do me). You can start off with a mix and see how your body acts and the adjust until your body is happy. Funny thing I noticed, I didn't know my body was happy until I went to eating too many grains/rice/potato type carbs. It's all about experimenting and figuring your body out. We're all unique! :)
  • katrinamaile
    Options
    Refined flours and sugars are the most useless thing you can put into your body. When you process them, they break down into sugar. If you don't burn the sugar, they are stored as fat. If you're going to eat carbs, try to limit it to whole grain. Pay attention now, whole grain is NOT multi-grain: whole grain means that you get the bran/husk part as well as the starch; the bran is full of collagen and fiber to help lubricate the digestive tract and keep everything moving. Multi-grain just means you have more grains, not necessarily that they are whole.

The fast v. slow carb argument has to do with glycemic index. It has to do with your blood sugar spiking and your body responding by storing fat. The lower the glycemic index (the blood-sugar fluctuations), the better for you. Slow carbs are great, you are fuller longer, you don't have a carb/sugar crash resulting in cravings and depression, your body burns them slowly enough that you usually burn them off doing normal daily activities, and they are generally much lower in calories than the 'fast' guys.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do think carbs, maybe even the unrefined ones, are bugaboos for me. I'm not an anti-carb person and am usually the first to complain about my moms atkins yo-yos, but I remember times when I cut out grains I couldn't stop the weight loss if I tried. Now I am eating below calories but not losing and I am starting to wonder about the Ezekiel bread, fruit, and other wholesome carbs I've introduced. It could be a food intolerance for some of us :frown:
  • schwickmar
    schwickmar Posts: 2
    Options
    I have a confession. I LOVE carbs. I love white bread, I love pasta, I love mashed potatoes... And I'm in the same boat as you, dweebner, wondering if that's what's been keeping me at the same weight I have been for so many years (although now that I'm engaged, I find myself cooking MORE homemade meals, which means MORE potatoes... So my weight has gone up a little bit). I haven't been living under a rock or anything, I know I'm not supposed to be eating the amount of carbs I am, but seriously - Does anyone have any suggestions for substitutes? I think I'm going to try mashed cauliflower in place of my beloved potatoes, because holy HECK are they a lot lighter on myfitnesspal's carb counter! Any other ideas that you've tried and LIKED if you're a carb-lover like me?
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    In my 10 months of "dieting" I've found that being an anti-carber works best. I did try counting calories for about 2.5 months and during that entire time I didn't lose a single pound. When I first went low carb I went strict Atkins - I was eating under 25grams of carbs a day and absolutely no starchy carbs at all. After I'd done this for about 4 months, I tried calorie counting, which didn't work, so I switched back and ever since I've been doing my own modified Atkins. I very rarely eat pasta, bread etc. When I do, I find ones that have a very low carb count. I eat a lot of green leafy veggies - they are my friends! I do eat fruit, which is high in sugar of course, but just keep it in check. My diet consists of a LOT of protein and fiber. For me it's equaled success. I've found substitutes for the things I really can't live without and when I really want a bad carb like chocolate or pizza I just eat it! :)
  • stephflo33
    stephflo33 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have a confession. I LOVE carbs. I love white bread, I love pasta, I love mashed potatoes... And I'm in the same boat as you, dweebner, wondering if that's what's been keeping me at the same weight I have been for so many years (although now that I'm engaged, I find myself cooking MORE homemade meals, which means MORE potatoes... So my weight has gone up a little bit). I haven't been living under a rock or anything, I know I'm not supposed to be eating the amount of carbs I am, but seriously - Does anyone have any suggestions for substitutes? I think I'm going to try mashed cauliflower in place of my beloved potatoes, because holy HECK are they a lot lighter on myfitnesspal's carb counter! Any other ideas that you've tried and LIKED if you're a carb-lover like me?

I LOVE carbs too, but they are my enemy. Sadly, I haven't found anything that takes the place of my potatoes, although sweet potatoes are better for you than white potatoes. I found some low carb penne pasta by Dreamfield that is 5g of digestible carbs per serving, and it is delicious paired with some vodka cream sauce. I buy the Healthly living low carb WHITE bread that is 6g of net carbs per serving. So all in all, I have found some great substitutions other than potatoes, and I do love me some potatoes any way they can be cooked. Heck, I even love them RAW! So, I just allow myself a serving once a week. No more than that, though. OOh and I found tortilla shells with 5g per shell for taco nights. I also bake this same tortilla shell, and get it crispy and use it as a pizza crust for homemade pizza night.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do think carbs, maybe even the unrefined ones, are bugaboos for me. I'm not an anti-carb person and am usually the first to complain about my moms atkins yo-yos, but I remember times when I cut out grains I couldn't stop the weight loss if I tried. Now I am eating below calories but not losing and I am starting to wonder about the Ezekiel bread, fruit, and other wholesome carbs I've introduced. It could be a food intolerance for some of us :frown:

I would be willing to bet that you aren't losing any weight because you are "eating below calories". If you don't eat enough, you will not lose weight. You should try to eat all your calories and most of your exercise calories. Otherwise, you body goes into starvation mode!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have been trying to eat more calories but so far just ended up gaining. I am embarking on carb cycling next. :) anyone try it?