I need motivation

Options
Hey guys, I'm Katie. I've been on MFP for a long time now and i really haven't lost any weight. The lightest i've ever weighed was 139 and that was around this time last year. The heaviest i weighed was 180 and that was a few years ago. Right now i'm around 145 and i'm TERRIFIED that i'm going to gain the weight back. (i'm about 5'5")

I try to go to the gym but i'm just not motivated all the time, i've gone two days in a row this week and i just couldnt get myself to go today. I want to at least go 4 times a week. I run on the treadmill for 15 then power walk 20, im working on my stamina. My problem is once i start eating i can't stop. I've cut out alcohol because i know that was a problem. I eat a salad for lunch almost every day. But whenever i go to any of my friends house and they have cookies, and chocolate and good snacks i can't stop snacking!! I need advice on telling myself no and getting to the gym more often!!! Please feel free to add me as a friend, maybe seeing others being successful will motivate me more. Best of luck to everyone!!

Replies

• originalkazila
    Options
    I've just sent you a friend request. For me it's lack of convince that makes me skip the gym. I work shift work and rely on public transit to get to the gym. Even doing a little bit can help. When I miss the gym I try and do exercise in my home. It's not the best but it's enough to make me feel like going to the gym the next day.
  • Princess_Lee2013
    Princess_Lee2013 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi Katie, I recognize some of those similarities in myself - sounds like you have done a great job getting down to 145 and I understand that you're terrified about gaining weight back. Here are some small suggestions I have for you, and feel free ot add me as a friend.

* Log your snacks that you're eating with your friends as you are eating them - better yet get your friends hooked on using MFP and work together to make healthier snacks when you guys are hanging out. I know this sounds lame but a group of my friends have adopted this and we have been pretty successful. Talk openly about your goals...once you have said "I don't want to gain weight back" I think ppl will respect that and will maybe be more concious of not having the cookies and snacks around openly? Also, you say that you "can't stop" I get this but just remember that you CAN. Just distract yourself. Start talking about weight loss/working out when you're doing it and it will deter you. I dunno there are lots of strategies I use. but those are some.

* I regularly look at pictures of myself before I lost some of the weight, and from before when I weighed in the low 120s - I too got close to the 180 mark this year and am now down to about 145. But constantly looking at pictures and reminding myself of how far I've come keeps me motivated.

*If you use pinterest, pin lots to a motivational work out board.

* If you find you're lacking motivation to go to the gym and be consistent and really work hard once you're there JOIN A CLASS ...I have always gone to the gym but this past summer was finding myself really unmotivated to be consistent and to really kill it when I was there..since I have joined a bootcamp class 3 nights a week it has totally re ignited the fire and I'm back to being totally into working out and now go 5-7 times per week.
  • shantae1125
    Options
    I KNOW WHAT U MEAN ABOUT THE WHOLE "WORKING OUT" THING. I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE... BUT RECENTLY, I HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO FIND TIME TO GO TO THE GYM. I WORK 12HRS, 5-6 DAYS A WEEK, AND IM USUALLY REALLY TIRED. BUT WHEN IM NOT AT WORK I WANT TO WORK OUT... ITS JUST THAT THE GYM IS KINDA BORING, UNLESS I TAKE SOME KIND OF CLASS. BUT I PLAYED RAQUET BALL TODAY FOR ABOUT 30MIN AND JOGGED OUTSIDE FOR 30MIN, AND I FOUND IT REALLY FUN. I GUESS WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY IS THAT IF YOU FIND SOMETHING THAT YOU LIKE TO DO... DO IT. I THINK THAT WORKING HAS BEEN LABLED TO WHAT SOMEONE DOES IN GYM, AND THATS NOT COMPLETLY TRUE.... I SENT U A FRIEND REQ., HOPFULLY WE CAN KEEP EACH OTHER MOTIVATIED :-)

GOOD LUCK
  • labellecanuck
    labellecanuck Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Friends/bf is the biggest problem for me as well. I do great at the grocery store and making my own meals, but if someone is offering my food/alcohol it's so difficult to say no. This is why I finally gave in and started tracking. It's only been a couple days but so far kind of eye-opening.

As for the gym, have you considered taking any fitness classes? They may not be super "hardcore" but they're a great way to get moving, get your stamina up, and most importantly HAVE FUN! Now I go to the gym pretty much everyday. I know it's not the most effective way to lose weight but it has become one of my favourite hobbies since I started as a new years resolution.

All the best, and keep your head up!
  • McClinsey214
    Options
    hi katie...i'm carol....i just started on feb 4 2013...i have gained 50 lbs since my back injury.....i can't stand lookin at my butt any longer so I decided to start this diet....good luck to you and just think how good you will look come summer...thats what i keep sayin to myself
  • Nicadimous
    Nicadimous Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello Katie, My name is Nicole and I so know how you feel! I just started here on MFP as per my doctor's suggestion for an easier way to keep track and I am terrible at sticking to this kind of stuff. That being said, I have been working out with a personal trainer for two years now and have gone down from 318lbs to 240lbs and still going down. It is the only thing that works for me, is being truly accountable to someone, even if I pay that person. Now I understand that isn't possible for everyone and I don't actually recommend using friend as a person to be accountable too, you might not have a good friendship in the end, especially if you start to avoid the person you made your commitments too. But find someone, even a friend on here to be accountable to, I guess I think of this more in terms of addiction...the first step is admitting you have a problem...being honest with someone about where you are truly at keeps you motivated to stay true to your goals!

Also, this takes way more time than anyone actually admits too! I went in wanting to lose my weight within a year...I was an idiot...thankfully my trainer humored me at the beginning to keep me going, and then made me see the reality of what I was committing too. I am grateful she exists everyday!

I just got out of having my gallbladder removed on Thursday so I am in laid up mode for the next four weeks, but I am still gonna be tracking myself, and somehow finding a way to stay active...even if its just simple walks. Don't commit to trying to workout 4 or 5 days a week, commit to just doing something...anything active each day, you'll be far more successful than you could ever imagine.
  • kgarsick
    kgarsick Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying guys, I"m going to take all your advice. I just need to learn to say "NO" but its hard. And as far as taking classes, i can't because i dont belong to a real gym, its a make shift kind of thing at my apartment complex. its super small but i'm unemployed so i cant afford a gym, and i go to school 8 hours a day 6 times a week and im always on my feet. I know thats not an excuse! lol
  • stargazerwolf
    stargazerwolf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I literally just joined MFP yesterday. I have been trying to loose weight since I had my 2nd baby back in May. It seemed like nothing I did helped, but I think this website will help. I get encouraged when I record my exercise in the diary and see that it gives me "extra" calories. Like I'll eat breakfast, record it, see that I have so many calories left for the day, then do some exercise and suddenly I have more calories left! lol. I have been working the last few days to try and get any kind of exercise in. I do some at home in front of the tv, walking in place, lifting my knees high, stretching etc. I have a 4 year old and 9 month old so I have to do a lot at home and do it after they go to bed. During the day sometimes I will get exercise in by just walking around the mall, a store, or if it's nice the walking path near by. Walking is excellent exercise. What I'm saying though is that you can do exercise anywhere, I barely wold have motivation to go to the gym, it requires driving too and from and I don't enjoy driving. Also if you look at it as exercise cancelling out some of the bad stuff you eat it doesn't seem so bad.

I had Coldstone Creamery ice cream yesterday which even for the "Love it" size cup (fairly small) it was about 720 calories, but I made myself exercise later by dancing around with my kids, just turning music on and dancing and burned some good calories and ended up with my net calories being slightly less than what I was allowed to eat. I get tired a lot because of the kids, but I find if I even start with stretches while watching a good show then I progress into a more active type of exercise. I starting to get into a routine finally making sure I get some kind of exercise in everyday. I saw myself in the lighting of a dressing room in a store the other day as I tried on clothes and I got disgusted. I am sad because I was looking wonderful and in the best shape of my life right before getting pregnant with my 2nd baby. I was 115lbs and even at 4'10" I looked awesome with an almost flat stomach and I even had a csection. Now after my 2nd baby, she's 9 months old now and I am at 144lbs when I weighed myself yesterday. That is right about the weight I was when I was 9 months pregnant with her so I feel pretty awful being that size, though I may not look it, I know what I weigh and what I used to. I was a 5/6 and up to a 9 now. So I guess my motivation is I want to look great again, if I can after a csection I can after having a baby the natural way, it just takes time.

Sorry this is so long but I do know how you feel. You can add me if you like :)
  • DaddyCrossfit
    DaddyCrossfit Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Do you want to look good in a bikini this summer or not? :bigsmile: I saw your "bikini mission" statement. Keep your eye on the prize, baby! I have the same problem, I LOVE to eat! It all comes down to how badly you want it (to get/stay fit, that is). I try to keep all the junk & sweets out of sight, that helps. Weekdays, I pretty much know what I'm going to eat for the day. I log it in advance in MFP and then I know if I have any extra calories left to have a treat or larger portion if I want. If you did that, you would know if/how much you could snack at your friend's house. But you gotta want it bad enough to police yourself. Setting and achieving mini-goals (with both diet and exercise) also helps me stay on course and avoid temptations.

As far as exercising goes, you need to find something/someone that motivates you....and then get committed. For me, I first got inspired a couple of years ago when a young buff guy started where I work. It reminded me that I used to look that way (I was pretty darn hunky in my 20's). We talked all the time about work outs, lifting, etc. and that prompted me to get back in shape. My schedule wouldn't allow me to go to a gym, though. So, whatever I did would have to be at home. With a small house and small kids, I had minimal space and time. But I made room and bought some used weight equipment on Craigslist. I eventually discovered Crossfit and that has been super fun and motivating (I do my own WODs at home)! Go to their website and watch the WOD videos...see if you like it. Either way, don't use "can't make it to the gym" as an excuse. You can have a killer workout at home with minimal equipment (a pair of 10lb dumbbells might be a good and inexpensive choice for you). Go on youtube for lots of ideas. Again, get committed and make exercise a priority. A set schedule helps me. Schedule everything else around them. Find a workout style you like, find friends with similar interests, and then feed off each other's excitement.

BTW, I can't see you from the waist down. But, it doesn't look like you need to lose any weight (if that's what you were suggesting). Girls with muscles are super hot, though, so do some sort of weight lifting if you're not already. :wink:

Add me if you like. I will crack a whip whenever you are feeling lazy!
  • kgarsick
    kgarsick Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and the compliment! But even at my lightest weight i had a belly and wasn't comfortable in a bikini. I think its from being over weight most of my life. I try to lift weights and do core exercises but I'm worried the muscle underneath the fat is going to push my stomach out more making it look bigger. is that a dumb thing to worry about? is it a myth? I do have some definition in my stomach i'd like to think i have two tiny abs and then one giant one haha.

I try to keep in mind summer is coming and several boys have broke my heart so revenge is motivating me too haha but ultimately i want to be healthier for myself!!!
  • DaddyCrossfit
    DaddyCrossfit Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ... I'm worried the muscle underneath the fat is going to push my stomach out more making it look bigger. is that a dumb thing to worry about? is it a myth?

Yes, that is a dumb thing to worry about. :laugh: Flat tummies are 80% diet, 20% exercise. Get rid of (at least most of) those junk empty calories, go easy on the breads and pastas. Stay under your calorie targets and keep up with the cardio-n-lifting. You will get there.
  • Chiefsfan86
    Options
    I suggest getting a Fit bit, one that you can wear around the belt of your pants. They monitor and track every step you take, let you know how many calories you burn from walking, and challenge you to do more. I have been on/off MFP for a while now, now I am doing it more seriously. Keep yourself focused, and keep your eye on the prize, looking good in your bathing suit..

Getting back to the Fitbit, it has really motivated me to walk more and burn more daily. i got this Fitbit last week, and have lost 5 lbs just by using it to help me track calories burnt and taken in. It is okay to splurge once a week, just decide to exercise and walk to burn off the cookies and chocolate.

Don't give up, the prize is just ahead of you. Keep striving to move more.

Chiefsfan