Having trouble keeping from sugar.

Options
I'm having a little problem staying away from sugar. I'm keeping under my daily goal, yes, but I mean I want to stay under 30g naturally. Anyone have any idea what I should be eating like to keep my sugar intake down?

Replies

• wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    The more processed sugar you eat the more your body wants it. You just have to stop eating it so much. If you drink soda, stop. I have maybe 1can of soda a week and since I stopped drinking the soda my other sweet cravings went down. I still eat chocolate etc. but one little hersheys kiss is enough instead of a handful before.
  • jackiep2439
    jackiep2439 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Im having same problem, think im addicted!!
  • lynnmariestan1
    lynnmariestan1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I am completely addicted to sugar. The more that you can avoid processed sugar, the less you will crave it. I have read that so often, and didnt believe it could be true, but it is. I was someone who ate giant bags of M&Ms, donuts, cookies, chocolate candy, cakes, brownies, you name the sweet delicious treat, and I would eat it. And not just a little. I would eat until my stomach was too sick to eat more. Often times, I would need to take a nap to let it digest. THen I would wake up, and hope to be hungry again so I could eat more sweets. WTF? Definitely not normal. Here are a few awesome websites for baked goods that are low in sugar or sugar free, so you can have a sweet, and not need to eat an entire batch of something. I think that by not eating processed sugar, that desire to just gorge isnt there.

yourlighterside.com

http://simplysugarandglutenfree.com/parmesan-crusted-sweet-potato-fries-with-light-garlic-aioli/
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Another trick is to look at the biggest contributors to sugar in your food journal and look for replacements, item by item.
  • haynesr07
    Options
    I don't think you guys understood what I am saying. I am saying I stay away from most sugar. No soda, no candy, I despise chocolate.

I am eating a lot better but yet I still feel like I am eating more sugar than I should...Bananas, greek yogurt etc.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    unless you have a medical reason for avoiding sugar, it really doesn't even need to be tracked. keep an eye on your total carbs (sugar goes here anyway) and keep withing your calorie limits, and you're golden.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I read once that High Fructose Corn Syrup is addictive. I took it and all other processed sugars out of my diet to see if it would help with the cravings and it made a huge difference. I definitely notice the cravings spike whenever I allow it back into my diet.

http://www.naturalnews.com/034478_junk_foods_addictive_brain_chemistry.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/035889_HFCS_brain_function_soft_drinks.html

hope this helps
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    You're right, I don't understand what you are saying.

You are saying that you don't want to eat much sugar, you want to find ways to avoid eating sugar naturally, and that you avoid eating sugar.

Therefore, avoid the foods with sugar that you are eating. Like bananas, which have a lot of sugar. Instead of a banana, eat a slice of bread, or a piece of chicken.

The only way to avoid eating sugar is to not eat things with sugar in them.

I feel like I'm still not getting you...
  • haynesr07
    Options

You are saying that you don't want to eat much sugar, you want to find ways to avoid eating sugar naturally, and that you avoid eating sugar.

Therefore, avoid the foods with sugar that you are eating. Like bananas, which have a lot of sugar. Instead of a banana, eat a slice of bread, or a piece of chicken.

Well like Bananas are supposed to be good for you and so is fruit, then how is it so loaded with sugar and since sugar is bad for you how does that coincide with each other?
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Well like Bananas are supposed to be good for you and so is fruit, then how is it so loaded with sugar and since sugar is bad for you how does that coincide with each other?

Bananas are great for you! Lots of potassium, critical for proper body function. They also are high in sugar. If you ate bananas all day, you would feel pretty yucky, in part from way too much sugar.

But, 5 bananas in a day? Nerp, won't hurt you. Sugar isn't bad for you in reasonable quantities, and it won't harm your weight loss as long as your overall calories still look good!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

All of the recommendations for fruits and vegetables say you should be eating more vegetables than fruit. So do that, eat more vegetables and limit the fruit you eat daily to a couple servings of lower sugar fruits like berries -- which also have the most nutrients. Save the high sugar fruits for an occasional indulgence.

Unless you don't want to, then eat whatever you think is best.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

because sugar -- in moderation -- isn't bad for you.
  • mcrubino
    Options
    I do have a medical reason to avoid eating too much sugar but I find it difficult to stay below the max with just naturally occurring sugar as well. I will say that if you can find plain greek yogurt with as little sugar as possible, get that and add berries. I think really the sugar intake is moreso for added sugars, because eating more than one fruit a day would be impossible otherwise.