Running my first race this weekend! Tips from runners please

Options
Ok so I am running my very first race this weekend, its a 9K. I didn't have much time to train so I know that I won't be able to run the entire thing. With that being said, I'm looking for advice on how to plan it..or not plan it? As of now I'm at about 2.5 miles of solid non stop running without really being too winded. This is running at a boring track or around my house. I have a feeling at the race with all that's going on and others around me that I may surprise myself and run even further? Or, knowing that I won't be able to run the whole thing, should I make a plan like run 2, walk 1, run 2.5? Or run 1, walk 1, etc. Not quite sure how to attempt it!

Also, I have set a goal for myself of 90 minutes. Seeing how I can walk a 15 minute mile and this is 5.6 miles, that's a pretty realistic goal, right?

Also..I talked with a friend last night who does marathons. He said today should be my last day of running til the race, which is sunday. Rest up and eat lots of carbs. Is this good advice?
Thanks!

Replies

• shnewell
    shnewell Posts: 14
    Options
    How exciting!

One way to approach it is to run/walk in time intervals. I ran a marathon this way when I knew I wasn't sufficiently trained to complete the whole distance by just running. I ran for 5 minutes, then walked for 1 minute until about mile 20, then ran the rest of the way. If you have a digital watch with a timer you can set it for the intervals. The key is to do the run/walk from the very beginning of the race, which is hard to do because you feel so good at the beginning and your adrenaline is pumping and everyone around you is running strong! But if you can stick with it, it will pay off. In fact, I ended completing that marathon at a faster overall time than the one I did the previous year where I tried to run the entire thing.

So, for this shorter distance race, you may want to do the run/walk interval until the last 2 miles or so since you know you can comfortably run that distance without stopping.

No matter which way you choose to do it, good luck and have fun!
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    congrats on your first race!
    personally, i don't think you need to rest your legs a ton considering you're not running an extremely long distance...not to short change your first race, which is awesome! I think taking Saturday off is plenty.
    Remember to stay hydrated through the race. Pace yourself, you know your limits...so maybe you might want to walk a minute or two after every mile marker. Most of all, have fun. There will be people cheering you along the route so get pumped! :)

Have a great run!
  • gobshite
    gobshite Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, he is right. Dont run saturday, and what ever you do, do not eat heavy the night before or the morning off. I have run 3 10k's in the last year and 2 weeks ago was getting ready to do one but it was a really hot morning. So I didnt listen to advice given to me to not do anything different and I drank a gatorade. That thing just about killed me 2 miles in and I suffered for about 2 days after. Stupid on my part. Just enjoy it, walk when you feel like it and I promise you will surprise yourself. The whole atmosphere takes you right in !!!!!!!!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Hey! congrats!!!

The energy at races is amazing! I bet you surprise yourself and run further than you have on your own at the track. Bring an iPod or MP3 player! If it's cold bring an old light weigh jacket that you can toss if you decide you don't want to wear it anymore. They will have water, gu (electrolyte/energy replacement) along the way and at the end there will be water and a ton of snacks.

Run as long as you can and if you need a break, walk for a minute then run again. If you walk too long your muscles will tighten up and running will be more difficult.

I'd say go out for a 2-3 mile walk/run today (nothing too strenuous) and maybe a light 1/2-1 mile walk tomorrow just to loosen up those muscles. If you let too much time go between you'll have some sore legs. Stretch before going to bed and Stretch before you run the race in the morning. Eat breakfast (something high in protein with some carbs) but nothing too heavy and drink coffee if you normally do (I take a caffeine pill because I can't drink coffee without all the extra cream and sugar). Don't change up your routine too much.

There really isn't a reason to carb load with tons of pasta or pizza the night before for 5 miles, but make sure you eat a healthy dinner (maybe a sweet potato or red potatoes with chicken and veggies) that won't be heavy on your intestines (you know what I mean) and a snack before bed (cottage cheese or peanut butter on a piece of whole wheat toast). And buy a pair of running socks! About $10-15 but worth the money!

Listen to your body and don't get down on yourself if other runners are passing you. You run to achieve your goals, not to keep up with people who have been running for a long time! (I have to remind myself of that every time I do a race). Good Luck!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    No matter how many organized runs I do, my nerves act up. :explode:

I have found taking a Tums about 45-minutes before the race really helps.

If you anticipate running a little slower then start in the middle to back of the pack. People get annoyed when they have to pass you at the begging of the race. :smile:

Races are addicting so have fun & enjoy! :drinker:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Be careful of going out too fast. VERY easy to do with all the excitement.

Good advice was given on the run/walk intervals and resting up before the race.

Good luck !
  • wendytobin
    wendytobin Posts: 208
    Options
    all the best for sunday for your big run, you will do great.

drink plenty of water the day before to get hydrated, and on the morning of your run, you will be peeing loads more than normal. but i found this helps when i do a run.

when the run starts try not to get taken away with the faster runners, as you will run out of steam real quick, steady yourself at the pace your are comfortable with.

with the atmosphere and people around you i think you will surprise yourself that you will be able to run further than you have in training, keep going as much as you can, if you need to stop for a walk only do it for a short period - max 1 minute and then start your running again.

enjoy your day, think positive - you can do it
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Most races do not allow iPODS or MP3 so check if you plan to bring one. It is not a good idea to use one regardless. It is a safety concern and for a 9K, I doubt you will need it. The excitement of the race will be enough to keep you pumped. Is there a course map listing the water stop locations? May be you could walk the water stops for a break. This will give you a minute or so break. Try to go at your own pace. You will probably be excited and go out to fast - like most people. Do you have a Garmin or something that gives your pace? If so try, try to stay within your limit. Most of all have fun and enjoy it. Your first race should not be about time but just about the experience.