new to running, need help

Options
Hi, I just started a couch to 5K program. I never was a runner and this program was highly reccomended from different people at my work. I understand that I work my way up to 5k over a period of 9 weeks. I am on week one. You are to alternate between walking and running till you build up your endurance. You do this every other day. Well I work the night shift, I work 12 hour shifts with an hour drive to and from work, and quite frankly, I don't want to run on the days I work. I generally work 3 days a week and the days are not the same every week. I guess my question is...should I stick to it and alternate every other day even if I work that night, or can I just do it on my days off which can mean that I am skipping up to 3 days of runnng (4 days this week bc I am doing an overtime shift). What are some thoughts of those who run regularly or know how to start up safely...thanks

Replies

• tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I started running with walk/run intervals but I didn't use a program, I guess I just pushed myself and changed up the walk/run ratio as I got better and better
  • jingermanko
    Options
    I needed something to guide me a little, that will make me push myself more. If I tried it on my own I don't think I would get past the five minute warm up. how far are you running now? How long have you been doing your walk/run's
  • LiveWellness
    Options
    I think you can do what you need to do in order to get the exercise. Worry less about following the plan to the letter and more about getting moving whenever and however you can. In a way that you'll stay motivated to do for the long haul. For life, even.

So if that means only working out on off days, go for it. Especially for something like C25K which isn't quite like a marathon, you probably don't need to worry as much about straining yourself. BUT, if you do find that you become a runner, you'll want to read up on frequency and whatnot then.

Good luck!
  • rpzag
    rpzag Posts: 3
    Options
    I did the C25K and went from not being able to run 1 block to doing the full 3 miles in the 9 weeks. So, it really works, and you can definately be flexible on the days. In fact, I had to be, as sometimes my legs just felt like jello, but resting another day would make all the difference. Good luck!
  • kiplyn22
    Options
    I recently started running myself I am also doing an interval training program I am up to 3 minutes run 2 minutes walk which is week 6 on my program. I am really enjoying I do each "week" for 4 days and that has been enough for me to increase. i would say going 4 days days in between runs would be really tough especially when you are just beginning running. I would think once you are a few months in you could switch to that format to to begin I would think that doing every other day or trying to do something close to that would give you the most success.
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I am also doing a "Learn to Run" programme, similar to C25K, from what my trainer told me and I gather C25K is designed to be completed in 9 weeks but there is no reason why it can't take longer. I started mine at the beginning of November and I will be doing 20 minutes run, 1 Minute walk and 20 Minutes run on my next time out.

So take your time and work the best time for you, as also pushing yourself when you are tired may result in injuries and put you off running totally.

Andy
  • earlswimsuit
    Options
    When i first started running I could only run for 50 seconds.........thats SO low its embarassing..but now i can run without stopping for an hour! I never did the walk/run thing though. But anyway, I think that program would help you! Run 3-4 times a week and when you get better run 5-6 days. When you do run, run until your legs are aching and you just cant physically do it. Thats how you improve. Good luck. Slow and steady is the best pace...even if its REALLY slow. :laugh:
  • jingermanko
    Options
    this week is the only week that I am doing the 4 nights in a row...so in the future I won't skip so long in between. What about doing it 2 days in a row? Right now I am in the begining, so I am not running for long periods of time. And what I am thinking is more along the lines of going out for my work out Sunday morning after work around 730 am, then again Monday night, around 9pm so it will be a longer period of time in between. I listen to my body and will stop if I feel like I am hurting myself. I want to do this safetly but don't want to drag it out and set myself back if I wait to long in between. It would make my life so much easier to have a treadmill and I don't have to go out, I can just get up and run and not worry about if I am working or not. I dont want to run once I get home bc I won't be able to sleep and it's to warm at 230 when i get up to go out and run. It's in the 80's here in phx somedays. I also don't want to take that time away from my family just to go to the gym. So I think with hearing from all of you (thanks so much for the advice) I think I can do this and make it work for me.