Need some Info, C2-5K

Options
Never ran before, want to run the Color run in Philadelphia in June 4 months from now, benefits the Special Olympics. Can some one tell me what C2-5K actually is. Do I need anything other than good running shoes ? Should this be done on a track or treadmill ? I just downloaded it on my IPOD but doesn't really give Me any information. Thank you in advance for the info.

Replies

• Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    anyone ????? no one ?
  • SnivyToast
    SnivyToast Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can do C25K with just running shoes and a stop watch. If you are planning to go to a race that is outside I suggest doing the program outside if possible.

Having it as a phone app or on a similar device is handy as it doesn't keep forcing you to look at your watch. Otherwise you can just set up a series of timers on something to tell you when intervals start/end.

It's a great program :)
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    From the looks of it (just looked it up) running shoes as well as a stop watch woudnt hurt to be able to time or if you already have a watch with a timer.

as you already have the phone app. I think that's about all you need. just follow the program from there.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Options
  • zumbacyndi
    zumbacyndi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    All you need is the phone app and your headphones! I started in August and am now a full-fledged runner. I can do a 5k fairly easily and can go the gym and knock out a quick couple of miles if I don't have the time to run all 3.1 miles. I have lost 52 pounds in the process, too! (of course changing eating as well). I took my time on some of the weeks and repeated them if I needed to . I am doing a color run next month and a melanoma run in May. Good luck!
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Options
    I am gonna register for the Color Run in Philly I have 4 months to get ready. Again thanks.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I started out with a pair of running shoes, a sports bra, men's basketball shorts, whatever other necessaries I could scrounge from my dresser, and a treadmill. I have recently added a heart rate monitor for consistent caloric burn measurement, a reflective armband for jogging at night, and a pair of women's shorts that haven't been quite put to the test. Oh, and something to hold my mp3 player.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I'll try measured distance running outdoors until I can manage the necessary 5k on a surface that is easier on my knees.

Other than that, best of luck to you. I start session 6.3 in the morning.
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've done one of the Color Runs also, and it's pretty casual. My two kids did it (7 and 17) and neither of them ever run - we just would run a little and stop when they needed to. But it gets crowded around the color areas so you pretty much have to slow down or stop. It's not timed either - just for fun - so no pressure to do more than you're capable of when it gets here.

I started out with the C25K program too a couple of years ago. Now I run half-marathons :) It's a great program!