What keeps you motivated if your stressed

:sad: I had to have gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago. Dr said if i didnt i would die in 6 months. I was 447 pounds. I got down to 195 and last year ive gained 29 to 30 pounds due to stress. Ive been on an off here because i screw up. I liked my self when i was 195 now i cant stand my self.
I want to start fresh with the weight loss but for some reason i end up doing good for half a day then when hubby and son comes home i dont. If your stress do you stay on track?

Replies

• triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    You need another way to deal with stress. Walk it off, Scream it off, Get a punching bag, take your pillow and beat the heck out of your bed, pray, meditate, take a shower, get a stress ball, get a cat, get a dog, get a hobby, but whatever you do don't eat your stress. Don't even give yourself the option. Don't reward your good behavior with food and don't drown your sorrows in it either. Food is fuel, not comfort.
  • Please excuse any typos...on my Droid. I started this because I just quit smoking. Was about 60 lbs heavier when I started 27 years ago. How do I stay motivated? By looking at why I started in the first place. For my husband and my nieces. I will have amazing days when I am totally on track and others when I fail. But when I fall I look at my husband or a pic of the girls and remember that I am doing this to ensure we have LOTS more time together. Simplistic and idealistic but works for me.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Are you by chance being a teensy bit too restrictive so you're "good", then by the time the family comes home you're ready to maul a bear if you don't eat a cookie? Then because you had a cookie, you've "ruined" your diet so you might as well blow the rest of the day and you'll start again tomorrow?

If so-knock it off-all of it. Don't "diet". Learn to eat in a way you can maintain. If you're like me, that's going to include cookies and cake and pizza and bacon cheeseburgers. Not always, but I can't imagine a life without naughty food, so I've learned to find ways to include them. Secondly, a cookie doesn't mean you blew it and might as well start over tomorrow after a 7000 calorie binge. It means you ate a cookie (or 10 cookies). Don't start again tomorrow-start again now. A cookie is 100 calories (depending), and 100 calories is chump change over the course of a life. The other 6900 you had because you "blew" it is not chump change.

My apologies if this isn't your pattern. If it is though, you really need to shift your thinking.

Good luck!