plasma donation

Options
I donate plasma regularly, and imagine I am losing calories by doing so. The questino is, how many? A standard blood donation subtracts 600 calories, but this is different. Also, at the end of a plasma donation people are given a saline solution to aid in rehydration. Are there calories in that? Any sort of insight would be helpful.

Replies

• 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I doubt you burn 600 cals like with a blood donation since thy are putting a lot of it back :-) I never really though about the saline before though.. Good question! Bump for ya!
  • jenjones28
    jenjones28 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The saline shouldn't have any calories in it.
  • Hyzaarc
    Hyzaarc Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It's awesome that you're donating plasma! (The hemophilia community thanks you, including myself). However I don't think that there is any caloric gain or loss from this.

I was diagnosed with a bleeding disorder last April. I'll check in with my resources and see what I can get in the way of real answers.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I would never count blood donation or plasma donation as calorie burning. Also, lactated ringers solution (salin
    e) does not have "calories".
  • BettyBoopoo
    BettyBoopoo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey ya!

My Plasma bank takes 3 different amounts of plasma based on how much you weigh. You will have to ask your bank to see if their amounts are the same but here is the numbers for BioMetic

If you weight 110 lbs - 149 lbs
    690 ml of Plasma: 483.69 calories
    Protein 49.51 g
    Carbohydrates 63.65 g
    Fat 3.45 g

150 lbs -175 lbs
    825ml Plasma: 578.33 calories
    Protein 59.19 g
    Carbohydrates 76.11 g
    Fat 4.13 g

176 lbs - above
    880ml Plasma: 616.88 calories
    Protein 63.14 g
    Carbohydrates 81.18 g
    Fat 4.40 g
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I used to work as a phlebotomist in a plasma donation center. I wouldn't consider it any kind of caloric loss because you're just going to replenish any loss.