Just ate a boat load of Pasta!!!! Newbie....

Options
Hey guys, I just joined after eating a big ole bowl of pasta on my lunch break. I have to do this. Single mom of a 4 yr old and she's killing me. I just can't keep up. Not to mention we are going to Disney World in October.......how am I supposed to WALK around Disney at 225lbs?? I'm hoping to get some motivation and really simple food ideas from this site. I'm sick of fancy diets where I spend $200 on groceries JUST FOR ME. Well, that's alittle about me....hope to get to know you guys!!!

Replies

• reneegez
    reneegez Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good Luck. I am also struggling...I hate not seeing results....but Ive been dedicated for only 2 weeks....I just hope I dont fall off the wagon!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    PROPS FOR JOINING! this is the best site ever. you'll love us in no time.
  • twoes
    twoes Posts: 30
    Options
    Sounds like your vacation is a good first goal for you. Maybe say you want to be to 199 by then? I think that's solid. I wish you the best of luck, knowing we've all been down the road before. It's nice to have friends along the way.

Oh- and think about Whole Wheat Pasta. Much better for you :)

1167516.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jamie11k
    jamie11k Posts: 82
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Start planning your meals, keeping only healthy snacks at your desk, and get on the water bandwagon! Pair that with exercise, and you'll be well on your way! Good luck!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Or maybe only a 1/4 of a boatload of pasta! Kidding. I wish you luck! NO MORE DIETS! Just eat healthy!
  • jackiea192000
    Options
    Welcome!!! If you go to allrecipes.com they have fantastic recipes that give you the nutritional break downs. Most are healthy and inexpensive. It has helped me lose ten pounds in a month. Good Luck!!!
  • daolds
    daolds Posts: 9
    Options
    Good luck! I have not too long join this site myself and I have already lost 6 pounds. Once again, I wish you the best of luck!
  • twoes
    twoes Posts: 30
    Options
    I LOVE allrecipes!!
  • ileitch
    ileitch Posts: 99
    Options
    Better start walking every day. It will help loads with the weight loss and get you ready for Disney World. Good luck.:smile::happy:
  • SashaS
    SashaS Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome!!!

I am fairly new myself but from what I can see you have come to the right place. If you are like me, you will find plenty of motivation and certainly some great tips on dieting and exercise. I will give you a tip that is working for me regarding pasta.....but first let me say that its great that you are joining for you and your daughter. Hopefully you will be able to find enough insight into all around healthier habits, instead of fad diets like you mention, so that you can continue for many years to come, and pass this on to your daughter....Im sure you will cause everyone in this place is in the same boat and we are all here to learn from each other and pass the knowledge and support forward!

So here's my tip: Instead of eating a big bowl of pasta with some kind of sauce, try instead pasta salad (where the pasta is one of the ingredients but not the main one by far). Yesterday I had a craving for pasta. So I mixed it with some diced chicken, artichokes, sundried tomatoes, regular tomatoes, esparragus tips, a little bit of garlic, a little bit of extra virgin olive oil...a dash of salt (just a dash) and after I mixed it all, I noticed that my plate was filled with mostly very healthy ingridients while still satistfying my pasta monster! I loved it and it didnt deplete all my calories and carbs for the day, while still giving me a great energy boost and filling me up.

Good luck!
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    what has saved me is eating what I love but in smaller portions, supplemented by healthy foods. If i want to have spaghetti, i do, but i dont have a huge bowl of it. i supplement with salad or vegetables and chicken for example. less pasta, but still some! portion control is HUGE when it comes to losing weight! good luck to you! :)
  • shanikatorres12
    Options
    I've found a GREAT pasta alternative in Spaghetti Squash! Its simple to make and low in carbs and fat! I pair mine with turkey meat and spaghetti sauce, sprinkle it with some cheese and I swear you can't tell the difference. Because it has no flavor, like traditional spaghetti noodles, you can use it as an alternative on any spaghetti type pasta dish.

Stay motivated, you'll reach your goal in no time :)
  • SashaS
    SashaS Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've found a GREAT pasta alternative in Spaghetti Squash! Its simple to make and low in carbs and fat! I pair mine with turkey meat and spaghetti sauce, sprinkle it with some cheese and I swear you can't tell the difference. Because it has no flavor, like traditional spaghetti noodles, you can use it as an alternative on any spaghetti type pasta dish.

SEE WHAT I MEAN...GREAT TIP! DEF. GOING TO TRY IT!!!!
  • spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! I agree...no more diets! Just make healthier substitutions as often as possible, measure & track your food and stay accountable even if it hurts to look at your logs on a bad day.

I did find a healthier alternative to pasta. Spaghetti squash is good but I can't get my family to eat it. Fiber Gourmet makes a pasta that is higher in fiber, lower in calories, more filling and healthier. I bought it online but I know some stores offer it. It's a bit more expensive than even the whole grain pasta in grocery stores but I find that I don't crave it nearly as much as the old stuff.

Take care and looking forward to losing with you!!
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    arghh pasta is my binge food too.
    i only eat it when preparing my 4yr old's lunch or dinner, it's his favourite meal with pesto and cheese, and no matter what i do i can not resist having at least 3-4 mouthfulls....
    good luck with the weight loss. :smile:
  • igmom
    igmom Posts: 90
    Options
    I also love spaghetti squash as a pasta alternative. It's currently out of season though. Boohoo!
  • kmassey
    kmassey Posts: 5
    Options
    Good Luck on your weight loss goals.

Life can't be a diet, it's a lifestyle change.
  • CAGOMEA
    CAGOMEA Posts: 27
    Options
    WHERR CAN UI FIND THIS??? I LOVE PASTA... I EVEN EAT VEGGIE FLAVORED ONES. OR HOW DO YU MAKE IT??
  • sorellabella
    sorellabella Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, make sure you drink lots of water too! If you'd like add me as your buddy, you can never have to many and I figure the more we have the more motivation we have. Good luck on your journey!
  • TubOlard
    TubOlard Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Uhh.....Eww!

Sorry, my wife is Italian. I guess you see why I'm as big as a house but don't think I could go for that. I refuse to ruin my love for Italian food with a substitute. I'll just have to eat a very small portion!