40 lb toddler in his Mai Tai on my back for a walk??

Options
So I use my Mai Tai religiously when I cant put my son in his stroller (Gotta love having a 2 year old run off in the mall! Not....) Now when I push his stroller especially on hills I know I burn a few extra calories but not enough to worry about counting.

So today Im playing around in the excercise data base and I see walking carrying an infant or 15lb load and it was an extra 20 calories, not amazing but still nice. So this Made me curiouse, How many extra calories would be burned walking at a pace of 3.0 mph carrying a 40lb toddler on my back (basically a 40 lb backpack)?

Replies

• Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but now I want a mai tai (the drink).
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    lol yeah the drinks are great too... I love mixed drinks *sigh* calories calories!
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I bet it's at least double of adding 15!
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    Options
    Hope someone can answer this. When I go for long walks or walks in the countryside (i.e. hilly, muddy, no way a pushchair is going through there) I wear my 30 lb toddler on my back too. Would be interested to know the difference it makes. It certainly feels a lot harder to me!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Hope someone can answer this. When I go for long walks or walks in the countryside (i.e. hilly, muddy, no way a pushchair is going through there) I wear my 30 lb toddler on my back too. Would be interested to know the difference it makes. It certainly feels a lot harder to me!

For hiking/walking hills its double compared to a walk of the same pace with a 10-20 lb pack I think it was 630ish calories compared to 327! I think yours falls more into that catagory if that helps! I miss country roads thats for sure its all flat in Arizona (OK well the southern portion of the state the nothern portion has some seriouse mountains)

That setting was part of why I got curiouse lol!
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    Options
    Ok cool, thanks. Gives me more of an incentive to wear my little one instead of having daddy carry him lol!
  • AshleyVeronica
    AshleyVeronica Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I really want to know this too!! My son is about 32lbs and if (like today) I carry him a lot because he's sick or sleepy or whatever - the odd time - I would love to know how much I am burning doing so!
  • TessieW8
    TessieW8 Posts: 1
    Options
    I carried my 40 toddler for a little over a mile which is my usual route for the fst time today it was twice as hard it defiantly had to burn way more calories than just walking without hr Ialso realized I'm way out of shape and I never want to go anywhere that requires me to carry a backpack im also the proud new owner of a stroller :-) hopefully one day I'll be able to do that and not be about to die
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc - about 80 calories more per hour for 242lbs versus 202lbs.
  • jaimeecc
    jaimeecc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc - about 80 calories more per hour for 242lbs versus 202lbs.

Based on your 80 calories more per hour and someone else saying it's 4 calories a minute for 15lb, I've calculated it's approximately 5.3 calories a minute to carry a 40lb toddler or weight while walking 2.0 mph. I've added this to the exercise thing under 'walking' because I did the exact same thing this afternoon with my son! What a way to get your legs burning!
  • reneapasquarelli
    Options
    I love love love my MAi Tei, and Im pretty sure hauling my toddler all around all the time burns alot of extra calories!