45 min of cycling equals only 281 cal burned?

Options
I've just done 45 min of cycling traveling 11 km which equals an average speed on 13 km/h or 8 mph. This has burned only 281 cal. I thought I was doing really well maintaining a highish speed ?????????

Replies

• PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Do you mean outdoors on a bike, or stationary in the gym?

Outdoors I would say that's a bit low, but if it's an exercise bike, I find that speed doesn't equate larger calorie burn, so it sounds about right. If I add resistance, it increases it a lot.
  • patrickkelly69
    Options
    stationary - so is it better to go longer at a slower pace rather than trying to maintain a highish speed?
  • nerchk
    nerchk Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Stationary bikes dont burn too much cals, i have been complaining about it for a while
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Maybe try HIT. 4 mintes of as fast as you can go, break sweat, rest, then do it again. This is working for me on the AMT.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    stationary - so is it better to go longer at a slower pace rather than trying to maintain a highish speed?

Up to you really; it's all exercise and therefore good for you! I get a bit bored on the bikes, so tend to use one of the hill programmes to add a bit of variety, then it alternates between easy and difficult, rather than being too much for too long.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Depends on whether you can maintain a decent length of time if you go faster. You might like to try increasing you speed or resistance to build some strength, and then increasing your overall time.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've just done 45 min of cycling traveling 11 km which equals an average speed on 13 km/h or 8 mph. This has burned only 281 cal. I thought I was doing really well maintaining a highish speed ?????????

Sounds a reasonable estimate. I tend to burn 600/hour but I'm going twice as fast.
    8mph is fast for running but not for cycling - sorry!
    Keep at it, cycling is great for your cardio health.

There are different benefits from low intensity and high intensity training (do both ideally) - have a read of this article
    http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/heart-rate-monitor-training-for-cyclists-28838/
  • ksizzle911
    ksizzle911 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    How are you figuring out your calories burned? 1st-Don't trust the machines. They are not accurate most of the time. 2nd-If you use this site, they usually over guesstimate on calories burned for most exercises. The only true way to determine how many calories you are burning is to use a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) If you are serious about losing weight and getting the most out of your workouts, I highly suggest buying one.
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi

excercise machines at the gym are not very accurate - use them as a guide while you exercise

I check this site as it gives an accurate check of where you are - age weight height effort level they all have a bearing

try it and use as a guide to keep yourself honest

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calories_burned.htm?utm_expid=171515-3&utm_referrer=http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CFUQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.freedieting.com%2Ftools%2Fcalories_burned.htm&ei=Un0ZUfTnG8ieiQeC-YDABw&usg=AFQjCNGc1RvEx7BUWgqlD4shMY-gmqpL9Q&bvm=bv.42080656,d.aGc

have fun !
  • c1aireee
    c1aireee Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    what would be the best hrm to invest in?
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

dial up the resistance - and then try and go as fast as you can.....RPM is a better indicator for me of how hard I am working....

And as someone else said HIIT is quite effective - here is an example

3min warm up - 40% of max HR
    30 seconds - as hard as you can go (between 75% and 95% of max HR)
    2min - 50% of max HR
    Repeat 6 times
    3min cool down - 40% of max HR