I'm broke, any ideas for low calorie low budget?

Options
I've already lost 28 pounds as of this morning but my goal is to lose another 20. As i get closer to my goal weight i find it increasingly harder to shed pounds and keep my body happy with the same consistently boring snacks and meals. Not to mention the fact I'm recently unemployed and struggling to make ends meet, why is healthy food so much more expensive?! Also just to mention I am vegetarian so no meat please!

Replies

• SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    In search, type "budget" and you will see other threads with suggestions for meals on a budget.

Good luck getting a new job.
  • AliTomy
    AliTomy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The store brand frozen veggies are really cheap - and they frequently come in fun mixed bags (asian stir fry, etc). Just sautee and add a little sauce/herbs (depending on veggies) and you have avery quick, easy, and cheap meal!

Dried beans are also very cheap - its easy to make lots of fun and flavorful soups/chili with some canned/frozen veggies, broth, beans, and pasta/rice!

I know fresh fruits/veggies are better - but you do the best you can! Good luck with your eight loss journey and with finding a vew job!!!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    The store brand frozen veggies are really cheap - and they frequently come in fun mixed bags (asian stir fry, etc). Just sautee and add a little sauce/herbs (depending on veggies) and you have avery quick, easy, and cheap meal!

Dried beans are also very cheap - its easy to make lots of fun and flavorful soups/chili with some canned/frozen veggies, broth, beans, and pasta/rice!

I know fresh fruits/veggies are better - but you do the best you can! Good luck with your eight loss journey and with finding a vew job!!!

this. also adding brown rice to things can pad them out and fill you up and is cheap and well worth the extra calories if it cuts snacking. buy things cheap and freeze them - produce that is wilting a little or you need to cut bits out of will be cheaper but the good bits still have nutrients.

don't underestimate the humble spud either :)
  • TineeLambrini
    TineeLambrini Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Homemade spicy veggie burgers, made with beans/lentils and whatever you've got in are really good, and cheap. I make a big batch of mixture and freeze what I don't use to make later. Soups and stir-fry are always good. Well done on your loss so far, keep up the good work.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Porridge oats made with skimmed milk or water!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Protein- tuna, basa, chicken thigh, tofu, tinned salmon, milk, eggs

Carbs- oatmeal, sweet potato, brown rice,

Other- frozen veg, seasonal veg, peanut butter, seasonal fruit
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I was always at my skinniest when I was poorest.

I used to have $20 a week to spend on food - this was 15 years ago.

I ate bread with butter and vegemite and milk mostly and I used to buy tins of chocolate powder for the milk.

The only things I really missed were McDonalds, potato salad and pure chocolate. I had to BUDGET for these luxury items.

I couldn't afford meat either. Frozen veges are cheap - very cheap, but I never ate them cause I wasn't keen on health while I was studying.

But I was poor all my life and I love bread and milk - so yeah - it was a hardship I was accustomed to.

Being poor = thin.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've got two jobs and I'm still broke.

Eat:

Oatmeal
    Protein powder (don't be afraid of it, it's 100% okay!)
    Frozen veg (dirt cheap compared to fresh)
    Big bag of potatoes, rice and pasta
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm vegetarian too, & usually low calorie, around 1,300 a day, and unemployed on food stamps right now too. I've learned how to eat pretty well though on like $5-6 a day. My food diary is open to friends if you wanted to look at it, or feel free to ask me any questions. :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I often use my slow cooker on the weekend and make a large batch of vegetable stew / chilli etc made with lentils, tinned tomatoes, beans, chick peas and dried herbs etc for flavouring. This makes enough to last me through the week, is cheap to make and quick to reheat in the microwave thus saving energy usage through the week. (If you don't have a slow cooker you could do it in a big pan on the hob).

For breakfast I have oatmeal / porridge. I buy oats for 39p per bags from lidl which will last around 2 weeks. Make up with milk or even water to make it even cheaper.

Buy vegetables from markets / greengrocers where they tend to be cheaper than supermarkets.

Cheap whey gives the best value protein per portion. I buy in bulk which makes it only 23p per serving of 20g protein.
  • Primrose_au
    Primrose_au Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have found that I can spice up a boring salad or some cottage cheese by adding some store bought salsa.... you know.... the ones you used to dip your doritos into. Cheap and low cal.

It sucks that unhealthy food is so cheap to buy.... you can get a bag of chips for $2 but cant buy a lettuce for under $4.

Stick with it and try to be innovative.
  • dietingdanni
    Options
    I am a student so i am in the same position. At the moment i have;

BREAKFAST: Either porriage or a cheap version of wetabix with skimmed milk and half a teaspoon of sugar - (less than £1 for 24 wetabix, 50p for a weeks worth of milk and i already ahd sugar in my cupboard).

LUNCH: Soup or cheap, healthy microwave meal (watch the salt and saturated fats level) - (My lunch usually cost about 75p)

DINNER: 75 or 100g of rice with either chicken or fish, frozen veg and some kind of sauce - (40p for 1kg of cheap rice, frozen veg is about £.60 for a 1kg bag and buy frozen meat on offer so the chicken was £2 for 5 breasts and the fish was £2 for about 6 fillets and the sauce tends to be what i have in my cupboard or a buy a jar when they are on offer for £1 and the jar lasts 3 meals).

SNACKS: Crisps (usually can get 10 packs for about £2) and any left over treats i still have from chrismas and some fruit, the most expensive part.

Hope this helps (I am not sure if your from the US or Uk so my pricing may not be that helpful). The main thing is to plan your shop before you go, only go once a week, don't go shopping again for the week.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    One of the hardest things to do while you are employed is to cook from scratch. You will have time now but less money. That is one of the best ways to save though. make as much as possible yourself and skip pricey convenience foods. Breadn and peanut butter is also a good choice and cheap.
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I live pretty near to the bone, financially speaking, so I eat lots and lots and lots of beans, rice, oats, sweet potatoes. I try to add in enough dairy, especially greek yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, but that's not too cheap! I try to hit up farmer's markets for vegetables, when they're open, because they tend to be pretty affordable there. I get most of my meat and eggs from a local farm - it's immensely cheaper than buying from a grocery store or supermarket. I know that's not an issue for you, since you're vegetarian, but I can also buy dairy and root crops through them. It's where I get my potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, milk, etc.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Buy storecupboard ingredients in bulk, as they are much cheaper than smaller bags. If you are a veggie buy varied grains/pulses like lentils, rice, mixed beans, pearl barley etc and use to really bulk up your meals and make them go further. Soups, stews, risottos and veggie bakes are cheap and filling. Here are a few recipe ideas with nutritional info:

Tuscan bean and barley stew: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1814691/tuscan-bean-and-barley-stew

Rice & bean enchiladas: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1569634/rice-and-bean-enchiladas

Vegetable and cheesy rice bake (Great for kids) : http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2534664/veg-and-cheesy-rice-bake

Fruity rice with toasted cashew nuts: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3506/fruity-rice-with-toasted-cashews

Baked butternut stuffed with pine nuts & rice: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1775649/sage-pine-nut-and-rice-stuffed-squash

Falafel burgers in pitta: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5605/falafel-burgers

Lentil Shepherds pie: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1263694/gardeners-pie

Plus, bulk buy your herbs, spices etc to make sure you season and flavour your food. These can turn the most frugal meals into something yummy! Try making veggie curries/ stir frys and make different cuisines:

Cauliflower & potato curry : http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/420629/cauliflower-and-potato-curry

Jerk sweet potato & Black bean curry: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2835667/jerk-sweet-potato-and-black-bean-curry

Creamy beetroot curry: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2610641/creamy-beetroot-curry

Curried Chickpeas: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1108641/curried-chickpeas

Freeze all leftovers to avoid wastage, go to your local farmers market for bargains etc. I dont know if your local shop does this but mine has an 'oops' section for produce that is dented/damaged and about to go out of date. You can pick up many bargains there! Herbs can be frozen, veggies can be cooked and frozen and reheated so you need not throw anything away.
  • kittybitz79
    Options
    I am not broke but try to keep my grocery bill low. A few ways I have found I do

First, I wait til the ad comes out on sunday to figure out what fruits and vegetables are on sale and then buying what works in our house. If it is a really good deal I'll even make a second trip on the following saturday to pick it up for the next week (ex strawberries are my husband favorite).

Second, I agree with another women on here cooking yourself is an excellent way to save money and eat healthy. I make cook and freeze meals on the weekend that last me all week. Takes me about two hours but well worth it. Right now it is home made chilli. (1 can chilli tomatoes, 1 can V8, 1 can seasoned black beans and 1 can summer corn).

You will find your own way to help save money. Everyone does.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    Walmart sells Sugar Free Maple Brown Sugar instant oatmeal packets. It's like less than $2 a box.

The produce aisle is your friend.... Also eat red potatoes. Filling and cheap. A bag of lettuce is $1.

You're thinking of Totino's pizza's, top ramen and macaroni and cheese.. all that inexpensive cancer in a box stuff. Don't compare your new life to that and you will be able to find healthier foods at lower costs.

I'm on a budget too... It sucks but I make do with what I have. :-)

Sorry about your job situation.. Hope you can find a great job, and soon! :flowerforyou:
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    If you have an Aldi by you shop there for most of your food--I love it and its cheaper than the bigger grocery stores.

Rice in bulk--lasts a long time and is very filling.
    Dry beans are very cheap, take some time to prep but you get to controll the sodium put in.
    Frozen vegetable-last longer and just as healthy as fresh
    Frozen fruit-great for smoothies
    Fresh fruit-only buy what you will eat in a few days so it doesn't get wasted.

Tilapia and chicken-I look for sales and stock up.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/716023-what-are-the-healthiest-inexpensive-foods

Check out this thread.....and my response to them that might help you (below). Feel free to add me....we're broke and trying to make it just like everyone else. I can and will share recipes

-beans
    -eggs
    -frozen veggies (they're so much easier to just toss in with something like ramen noodles if you have to eat them) I also like to -make brown rice and veggies.
    -if you have local farmer's markets, go there and use them. The prices are not always better, but when people want stuff to move they mark it down.
    -buy in season. Watermelon in December is not cheap!
    -rice
    -low calorie drinks....if you cant get off the water, you can make your low calorie zero sugar drink mixes go further. My family prefers it when I add more water to the ones we have at home.
    -Grocery store sales tend to run in cycles....pork one week, chicken the next, ground beef, ect. You need to learn to buy what is on sale. If you have the money, buy extra and freeze so you aren't running to the store and paying full price for something because you want it instead of what is on sale that week.
    -grocery stores also tend to put stuff on sale with a theme. For example...the store closest to my house with have things like tortillas, salsa, beef, and cheese on sale all at once. Or every kind of noodles, pasta sauce, garlic bread, and ricotta cheese. If you can, buy the things that are on sale that you can incorporate into your own healthy recipes.
    -take advantage of bogo sales....if your store offers free potatoes with the purchase of a roast and carrots...consider the deal and go for it. You don't have to use all the carrots or the potatoes...they can go towards another meal.
    -crockpot....it is cheap cooking at it's finest.
    -look for "manager specials". A store I used to work at used to sell porterhouse steaks for half the price after they'd been in the case for a few days. They weren't bad, being exposed to the air in the case and the lights make them look like there were on the way out....but they weren't.
    -make your meat go further. I have a meat eater at home...a pound of hamburger for meatballs was enough for dinner for 2 and a giant lunch of leftovers for him (he's not trying to lose). Add breadcrumbs (buy or make your own) and an egg (or chia seeds that have been soaked for 10 minutes). Now a pound of burger turned into spaghetti and meatballs last 4-5 meals. There are recipes that encourage this...like porcupine meatballs (rice, meat, onion, garlic tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning. Thats it!)
    -google budget meals, and frugal living
    -check local convenience stores. We have stores here that sell bread (on sale for .69 cents but can be up to $150 for white OR wheat), eggs (99 cents/dozen) bananas (.39), butter (on sale 1.99 for a pound), milk (sold in half gallon bags, 2 bags are .60 less than a gallon at the grocery store), onions(.39), and potatoes (.39) cheaper than any store in the area.
    -coupons are great for things you are going to use. When you shop, compare prices and look for coupons on the package that are good right away!
    -always check the discount produce bins, that aisle at walmart with discounted food and shop the sales. Go to multiple stores in the same area if you can do it fast and you get the best deal!
    -meal planning is smart. Take the ad on Monday, plan the next week, go shopping Friday or saturday to get those deals. Repeat on monday...many times what wasn't on sale on Friday, will be on sale sunday. So you can pick up stuff on sale for the next week, and go back and get what wasnt on sale...if your brain can organize that.