Missing your workout

Options
It used to be if someone asked me to run/workout I'd say "your out of your mind!". Now it seems if i miss my workout I get pretty unhappy. Anyone else like this?

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yep 100% & that is why I work out every single day. Even if it means me going for a run at 10pm or whatever.
  • BlazingJaya
    BlazingJaya Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to make sure I have two rest days a week, and you know what- I HATE it. I feel flabby and fat on days I don't workout :(
  • bconder74
    bconder74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's 4:27am and I'm headed to work. Normally I'm on the way to the gym. Dreading today already. Gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope to sneak in a workout today. Hell, I might even "run" the 4 flights of stairs at work a few times. Hope everyone has a great Valentines Day!
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Same here. I have to force myself to stay away from the weights on my designated rest day.
  • emchip1983
    Options
    same here i used to hate exercise but now i cant get enough x
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I lifted last night and still felt guilty I didn't do the 30DS video :(
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I can count on one hand the number of days I miss in a year. It's usually due to travel. So far this year I missed one day because I had a really bad cold/flu virus and felt I needed the rest more than the workout, and one day coming home from London. Even then I managed to get in 10,000 steps on my pedometer- pretty easy to do when you're spending long intervals in Heathrow and O'Hare.

Sometimes I have a hard time motivating myself to get moving, but I always feel better once I get started.
  • VasylP
    VasylP Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I too try to have two rest days a week which often your body needs. Just got back in the gym regularly last week after about a month off, feels good though I know bit by bit I will have to be more active. So have conscientiously decided that even if I don't really work out on my days off I will walk about an hour a day broken up into three sessions. The breaks will do me good to focus on the tasks I have to get done during the day an clear my mind of clutter while also burning off just a few more calories.

Besides waking an hour now is a heck of a lot easier then when I started on this journey back at the beginning of November. It is't reflected here on MFP, but I have lost 33 lbs. Though exercise has not been the only contributing factor, I've completely eliminated processed foods from my food intake.

Now days off and missing are two different things. The problem with missing and just not getting motivated enough can easily lead to not going at all for too long of an extended period of time - the the detriment of your ultimate goal whatever it may be. To loose that extra weight, to maintain your weight or to be training for a mini-marathon or something along those lines.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Yup, absolutely! I feel guilty as all ****, and usually I start to feel bad about myself. So I usually try to do something mild on rest days, or reserve my rest days for those days that I'm working a twelve hour shift and don't want to do anything but flop on the couch anyway. Even then, I feel guilty :grumble: It's just astonishing how closely my exercise and my self-esteem/mental health are linked.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    i do feel abit guilty but not unhappy. still not enjoying the whole work out thing, but enjoying the benefits of it.

Just wanted to understand how/when u decide to take breaks from it though apart from when really sick
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My current training program has a rest day. On that day I feel absolutely worthless. I'm tempted to start squeezing in a light workout on my rest day so I just feel better.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If I miss a workout, I spend the entire day feeling like I left the stove on or forgot to lock the front door.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Funny you should mention it... just thought about today being my rest day and still wondering if I should work out anyway.
    I do that every rest day.
    Sometimes I work out just a little to satisfy my own "craving".
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Working out has become part of my daily life, yeah I have my rest days, but I also have a very regimented gym schedule I follow. My Co workers come by my desk and say, Alex we are asking you to come to lunch so you dont feel left out, but we know you will decline because of gym time. I guess its not a bad thing when people around also understand how important it is. But if I have a lunch meeting or something with a senior member of the staff, it really does kind of put a crimp in my day. But hey I went probably 9 years with avoiding exercise, a few hours missed here or there is probably a good thing :D
  • miamiink89
    miamiink89 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to make sure I have two rest days a week, and you know what- I HATE it. I feel flabby and fat on days I don't workout :(

Same - I now take one rest day (mainly so I have time just to read/ relax as my schedule is hectic ) and on that one day I feel horrible. I never thought I'd feel like that - I used to hate exercise!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    YES! And what sucks for me is that I was trying to do at least SOMETHING on what I might have considered a rest day, but my body told me otherwise, so I do now take one day as a down day, whether I like it or not, because it beats missing 2 or 3 because I didn't. But I HATE it.

If you had told me this at Christmas I would have laughed in your face!
  • ashleypeha
    Options
    Yes I feel so gross on my rest day! I always have the urge to go to the gym but I convince myself that my body needs that one day a week to rest up :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    oh yes..started new routine this week and wednesday is "rest day" I was freaking bored out of mind...i really do like picking heavy stuff up and putting it back down ...I still went to gym and did 5 minutes of treadmill and about 15 minutes abs....back at it today!
  • sidewinder76
    Options
    Definatly getting out there today! Really craving a run :-)
  • Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I also crave a good workout everyday. I cheat sometimes and just ignore that 3 mile run I do on rest days...I NEED it! :smile: