I work night shift, what do I do?

Options
2»

Replies

• shellebelle79
    shellebelle79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I too work 3rds. I eat when I get home in the morning (I record that as my breakfast for the new day.. then I sleep, I eat my lunch right before going into work and then my dinner and snacks

I have an open food diary and log daily. I have type 2 diabetes (and hardly have to take my meds now). I do eat 6 times a day. 3 main meals and 3 snacks. I put the times I eat and my FBS in my notes. Feel free to add me :)

I track my food the same way, but try to limit what I eat at home that way I don't end up eating 2 dinners... I'm just glad I'm not the only one working 3rd shift! I just hate when my body thinks its best to try and nap in the car on the ride home from work this is one of the reasons I have only 1 side view mirror... sleepy plus mail box... enough said! lol
  • Sarahlascelles
    Sarahlascelles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know...
    Under settings there is an option to change from named meal times to time bands - that might suit you?
  • lilly_star
    Options
    I work 12hour shifts as well rotating 4 days 3 nights from 6 to 6 so I know how you feel. I start my calories from when I wake up in the afternoon and I count my slow release protein shake before bed the next morning as part of the same day. So for example; breakfast @ 3.30pm - snack @ 7, lunch @ 10pm, snack @ 1am; dinner @ 4am, snack @ 7am (before bed). Works out well for me I am at goal weight and have now started a body sculpting program
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I do a 6pm to 6am shift. I track from when I wake up, until when I go to sleep as the same day. It's best to keep things simple in my experience
  • _Libitina_
    Options
    My husband works midnights 11pm-7am. I stay on his schedule. I maintain my breakfast (midnight), Lunch (3am), dinner (8am) I plan lots of snacks. Fruits and veggies as much as I want all night. I have a small snack between 10-11 then go to bed around 2pm. Sometimes you just need to find a good rhythm with your body.

I ended up gaining a lot of weight in the past while working this shift because I tried so hard to figure out when I should eat and not when my body wanted to eat.

Good luck and don't stress too much over it.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Its quite simple. Log everything you eat while you're awake. Whatever time you wake up, breakfast would be your first meal, etc...
  • reginaclay
    reginaclay Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you I work 7a to 7p. It is tough. Unless you are going to work out before going to sleep, I do not recommend eating an extensive meal before you go to sleep, but a sensible snack. Because eating a meal just before you go to sleep in my eyes would equate to would you do that if you were on a normal sleep schedule. For example, if I ate dinner at 5pm I would not be eating a meal at say 9pm just before I went to sleep... a good recipe for gaining weight. Being that you do work the night shift, I do not know what your caffeine intake is, but I would keep it to too cups of caffeine in a 24 hour period if you can swing it. You do not want to overstress your adrenal glands which would increase your cortisol levels...a good recipe for weight gain in the belly region. What I do, it I count my breakfast at 3am. Try to get in a snack around 07-0730 (When you are giving report if possible) Like a smoothie, yogurt with berries and some nuts. Something sensible like that so that you won't lie down on a heavy meal. I would consider when you awake to be your lunch (and your biggest meal) and then around 2200 can be your dinner (something sensible). My 3am breakfast usually consists of oatmeal with berries and flaxseed, some juice or milk. In between, drink your water, I often find that that is usually where I lack especially if I feel more hungry than usual. Also, if you find yourself craving the things that you should not eat, that is indicative that you have not gotten enough sleep. And I understand completely, I work off hours and I am a single parent of a very sickly little boy. With some work...it can be done. You just have to adjust. I hope this helps! Good luck!